How would you solve the Nick Diaz issue?

PrettyBoy -
Feelz Good -
NakedCowboyOnMyRear -

Pay him. It's not like those cheap fucks can't afford it. and it's not even about paying Nick, it's about the precedent it will set.

Sorry, I should've clarified, I was looking for ideas from realistic people. Fitch was cut after one loss, Nick's riding a two fight losing streak. I'm sure it will take you a while, but try doing the math. Phone Post 3.0
Nike is 10x the draw fitch and shields are. You can check the numbers on the last few PPV events that featured Nick.

He is worth more than 500k. You put Diaz in a rematch with Lawler or give him a title shot you are getting at least 500k buys at 60 a pop.

You do the math Phone Post 3.0
If nick wasn't gifted huge fights he wouldn't be getting those numbers if he fought a bunch if wraslers like Woodley less people would care of course he's getting huge numbers when he's fighting Condit and GSP Phone Post 3.0

The one thing i wish Nick would realize is that you cant negotiate a new deal after you lost 2 in a row. And they hooked him up with a title shot after a loss.

Nick is pretty delusional.

Nate is close becausr he lost 2 out of 3 and wants more money.

Fight and win and there wont be any room for the ufc to lowball you.

Thats what Gil did. He won his kast fight, his contract ran out, didnt like his new contract, tested the waters, got a better deal.

Thats how its done. Win and they are forced to negotiate. Phone Post 3.0

I don't believe there is an issue to solve.

If i were Zuffa i'd offer him a fight in line with the contract he signed.

I i were Diaz i would expect to be offered a fight in line with the contract i signed and i would honor it.

If i'm either party and the other doesn't meet their obligations I'd either wait it out or turn it into a legal battle.

Only person that can solve the issue is Diaz...he needs to fight in the cage or in court...or just go away. that's the reality of it.

PrettyBoy - 
Feelz Good -
NakedCowboyOnMyRear -

Pay him. It's not like those cheap fucks can't afford it. and it's not even about paying Nick, it's about the precedent it will set.

Sorry, I should've clarified, I was looking for ideas from realistic people. Fitch was cut after one loss, Nick's riding a two fight losing streak. I'm sure it will take you a while, but try doing the math. Phone Post 3.0
Nike is 10x the draw fitch and shields are. You can check the numbers on the last few PPV events that featured Nick.

He is worth more than 500k. You put Diaz in a rematch with Lawler or give him a title shot you are getting at least 500k buys at 60 a pop.

500k x $60 = $30 million buckaroonies!

So we have 500,000 people who pay $60 just to see Nick Diaz fight each time (beating PPVs for Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell fighting each other), and the UFC being cheap bastards, no doubt stiff the PPV broadcasters of their 40% cut, and the venue owners, event management staff, insurance companies etc either provide their services for free, or are stiffed by that asshole DFW...it's almost pure profit for the UFC!

Fucking cheap bastards! If Mayweather gets paid $40,000,000 by his own promotion, Nick and Nate Diaz deserve at least as much.

PAY THE FIGHTERS DANA YOU CHEAP MOTHERFUCKER!

People keep mentioning Chael, but that man doesn't turn down fights. He'll fight anyone at any time. Phone Post

Feed him to trt vitor Phone Post 3.0

lgi - People keep mentioning Chael, but that man doesn't turn down fights. He'll fight anyone at any time. Phone Post
Sort of. Phone Post 3.0

I would allow them to shop elsewhere. If the competition dose pick then up, the eat the cost (that I doubt they can afford as well) and it allows them to build themselves back up and they can either finish out their careers in other orgs, or build back up hype if they are dominant for when they inevitably get to the point they want back in the UFC, but on someone else's dime.

That's if another organization decides to meet their pay demands. If not, it shows what the market is relative to where they are at now.

In the unique case of Nick right now, I would dangle a title shot -if- he wins a dominant fight with Lawler. Dominant being the key word that gives an out with a lack luster performance. And that just because this is a weird perfect storm scenario for that particular fight.

The reigning, dominant former champ is out

Robbie just had a razor close fight with the sitting champ.

Diaz has a win over Robbie that is one of the better fights I can recall and a huge highlight to hype the rematch

Those, I think are exceptional circumstances to push this one fight at this exact time. After that window, I love the Diaz brothers fights, but how can you set the president of caving without expecting it to be an ongoing headache. Phone Post 3.0

JoeHurley -

Would you guys also give raises and title shots to the 500+ other fighters that would see this and decide to pull the same move and sit out until they all got the same thing too?  Or does Nick just get the special treatment?

Why don't you all try this at work today.  Call in and tell them you are not showing up until you get a raise that is more than double what you make and see how well it works for you.

I know we're all fight fans, but this idol worship and putting fighters up on pedestals is getting ridiculous.

Dana should put up or shut up in my opinion. He went apeshit on Bjorn for Bellator making Alvarez honor his contract.

He said if someone doesn't want to fight for us we let them go... Implying they wouldn't just keep someone on the shelf who wants to go elsewhere.

Well why arnt they letting the Diaz brothers go? I'll tell you why... Because they are huge fucking draws. Bellator would give Nick 500k ... So would any other promoter with a brain. He is worth it they simply don't want to pay it. Phone Post 3.0

I really don't feel Nick will fight again and Nate will be awhile. Phone Post 3.0

He's getting 60/60. If he wants to sit on the sidelines then let him. He could fight 3 times a year and make 180k-360k. I think he pay is just fine. Phone Post 3.0

And if Diaz bros get that kind of cash everyone else would want it also. And we would have no big MMA organizations. You can't give someone 500k a fight if you can't even win the title. Phone Post 3.0

JoeHurley -

Would you guys also give raises and title shots to the 500+ other fighters that would see this and decide to pull the same move and sit out until they all got the same thing too?  Or does Nick just get the special treatment?

Why don't you all try this at work today.  Call in and tell them you are not showing up until you get a raise that is more than double what you make and see how well it works for you.

I know we're all fight fans, but this idol worship and putting fighters up on pedestals is getting ridiculous.

Someone with common sense on the UG! Holy shit. Phone Post 3.0

Sastan -
PrettyBoy - 
Feelz Good -
NakedCowboyOnMyRear -

500k x $60 = $30 million buckaroonies!

So we have 500,000 people who pay $60 just to see Nick Diaz fight each time (beating PPVs for Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell fighting each other), and the UFC being cheap bastards, no doubt stiff the PPV broadcasters of their 40% cut, and the venue owners, event management staff, insurance companies etc either provide their services for free, or are stiffed by that asshole DFW...it's almost pure profit for the UFC!

Fucking cheap bastards! If Mayweather gets paid $40,000,000 by his own promotion, Nick and Nate Diaz deserve at least as much.

PAY THE FIGHTERS DANA YOU CHEAP MOTHERFUCKER!

Y'all are dumb. The have to give 50% the the cable/satellite providers per buy. You act like Zuffa keeps all $60. They don't. Plus they have a few million invested in every single event, between advertising, hotel(pressers and fight), flight(pressers and fights), vendors, rental facility, and all production cost.

In a standard business how much profit do you think there is off the gross income? Or have you not gotten that far in High school to figure that out? Phone Post 3.0

And mayweather has his own fucking promotion with golden boy. You can't compare what he makes to MMA. Boxing has been around over a century. MMA isn't even mainstream yet and has been only been around for 20 years. Phone Post 3.0

PrettyBoy -
JoeHurley -

Dana should put up or shut up in my opinion. He went apeshit on Bjorn for Bellator making Alvarez honor his contract.

He said if someone doesn't want to fight for us we let them go... Implying they wouldn't just keep someone on the shelf who wants to go elsewhere.

Well why arnt they letting the Diaz brothers go? I'll tell you why... Because they are huge fucking draws. Bellator would give Nick 500k ... So would any other promoter with a brain. He is worth it they simply don't want to pay it. Phone Post 3.0
It's that easy huh, just give Nick 500k and be done with it, no headache will ever come outta that right? If they give Nick his money, what about the other fighters? What about if Nick ends up wanting more than 500k one fight later? Should they give it to him then too?

Nick is not as big of a draw as people think. Like I said, I guarantee if he was on a PPV card against a nobody, he wouldn't get many buys by himself. He doesn't deserve 500k, he's a man coming off of a two fight losing steak. He needs to man the fuck up, take the big fights that are still being offered to him, finish his contract, then renegotiate. Phone Post 3.0

And mayweather opponent made just over a million.

So mayweather got 40-50x the money his challenger did. I would say the pay scale is way better in MMA all the way down the ladder. GSP made what 5x the money as Nick? Not bad. You should be worried about the undercard boxers making 1-5k a match while Mayweather makes 40 million if you want to bitch about combat sports pay. Phone Post 3.0

Leave it as is. Offer him ppv% and have him fight someone who is not a draw.

If he's worth what he thinks he is, the PPV will sell and he'll make his 500k.

Won't happen though because he wouldn't do the pre fight promoting/hype. Phone Post 3.0

GaspareBJJ - If I ran the UFC, I wouldn't budge. Nick and Nate signed the contract, just like every other fighter on the roster. If I gave in that easy, everyone would be trying to do the Same thing. Phone Post 3.0

I appreciate the sentiment, I don't disagree. But there are still ways for Diaz and the UFC to make money together. The Diaz bros are making unrealistic demands and the UFC is being unrealistically stubborn. What the situation needs is some leadership.

This is where their agent, Mike Kogan should come in. This guy is a work of art, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the real feud is between him and Dana because they're cut from the same cloth. As long as Kogan is the man in the middle, this will never get worked out.

I'd like to see Diaz, Kogan and the UFC sitting together at a table. Anyone who thinks this can be solved with text messaging is incompetent.

I agree Diaz, coming off losses and with zero momentum, that Diaz is not worth $500k. Ok, great. So let's figure out what fights need to be set up to get Diaz to where he wants to be. There's going to have to be some give-and-take on this. He's obviously not getting a title shot. I'm a huge Diaz fan, but a title shot right now would make everyone look like a fool, there's no legitimacy to it, and there's no shortage of contenders.

I think it's got to be about a roadmap that both parties can get excited about.

I'd propose this: Anderson at NYE, followed by a #1 contender match against a Matt Brown or some other boxer, maybe a Robbie Lawler or a Carlos Condit (I know, they've already offered that). Pay him one time fees of $500K for both... since both fights are going to make huge money.

If he loses, good fuck'im, he's done.

Everyone gets what they want.

jwistead - 
GaspareBJJ - If I ran the UFC, I wouldn't budge. Nick and Nate signed the contract, just like every other fighter on the roster. If I gave in that easy, everyone would be trying to do the Same thing. Phone Post 3.0

I appreciate the sentiment, I don't disagree. But there are still ways for Diaz and the UFC to make money together. The Diaz bros are making unrealistic demands and the UFC is being unrealistically stubborn. What the situation needs is some leadership.

This is where their agent, Mike Kogan should come in. This guy is a work of art, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the real feud is between him and Dana because they're cut from the same cloth. As long as Kogan is the man in the middle, this will never get worked out.

I'd like to see Diaz, Kogan and the UFC sitting together at a table. Anyone who thinks this can be solved with text messaging is incompetent.

I agree Diaz, coming off losses and with zero momentum, that Diaz is not worth $500k. Ok, great. So let's figure out what fights need to be set up to get Diaz to where he wants to be. There's going to have to be some give-and-take on this. He's obviously not getting a title shot. I'm a huge Diaz fan, but a title shot right now would make everyone look like a fool, there's no legitimacy to it, and there's no shortage of contenders.

I think it's got to be about a roadmap that both parties can get excited about.

I'd propose this: Anderson at NYE, followed by a #1 contender match against a Matt Brown or some other boxer, maybe a Robbie Lawler or a Carlos Condit (I know, they've already offered that). Pay him one time fees of $500K for both... since both fights are going to make huge money.

If he loses, good fuck'im, he's done.

Everyone gets what they want.

For what it's worth, I don't think we'll be seeing the Diaz bros fight in the UFC again (so probably not anywhere else, either).

Everyone knows about Dana, so I won't touch that one. But from what I know of Kogan, we've got ourselves another Dana vs Vadim situation here. Too much pissyness and unrealism, not gonna happen boys.

God that sucks, but that's how I see it.