How your state produces power

This is pretty interesting. Each state is charted including the ten year trend. Are you from a filthy power producing state, or a clean state?

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/10/319535020/coal-gas-nuclear-hydro-how-your-state-generates-power?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150910 Phone Post 3.0

Oregon is a clean state.

Hydro 59%
Natural Gas 21%
Renewables 14%
Coal 5% Phone Post 3.0

West Virginia is filthy. Phone Post 3.0

Oregon is where i reside

I live less than a mile from two rivers that are covered with dams so lots of Hydro and Water here

This state is RIch as FUck in resources

But........

Indiana

Kentucky

WYoming

West virginia

Utah

Dakota

Ohio

All run mostly on Coal.

TIme to figure something else out

GET YO SHIT TOGETHER

Rambo John J -

Oregon is where i reside

I live less than a mile from two rivers that are covered with dams so lots of Hydro and Water here

But........

Indiana

Kentucky

WYoming

West virginia

Utah

Dakota

Ohio

All run mostly on Coal.

GET YO SHIT TOGETHER

This my thought as well. States should be in friendly competition to produce the cleanest energy. The coal industry obviously greases a lot of palms to keep their filthy product fouling to air. Remember Obama talking about "clean coal"? WTF is that, Obama? It doesn't exist. Phone Post 3.0

An embed link? Phone Post 3.0

we should have gone all nuclear in the 70s 80s. We stuck with coal and more people have died from coal mining accidents and have had their quality of life destroyed by things like black lung that would never have happened.

Now we have nat gas really cutting into coal, but people want to stop fracking and thereby stop producing nat gas.

Rambo John J -

Oregon is where i reside

But........

Indiana

Kentucky

WYoming

West virginia

Utah

Dakota

Ohio

All run mostly on Coal.

GET YO SHIT TOGETHER

Lol. You moran.

That is basically a list of the largest coal producing states in the U.S. To expect them to use anything else for power is quite stupid.

Coal is quite cheap, plentiful and employs many of their neighbors. Why would they want to use anything else?

Mark Phone Post 3.0

cruedi - we should have gone all nuclear in the 70s 80s. We stuck with coal and more people have died from coal mining accidents and have had their quality of life destroyed by things like black lung that would never have happened.

Now we have nat gas really cutting into coal, but people want to stop fracking and thereby stop producing nat gas.

I once saw a "True Environmentalists support Nuclear" bumper sticker.

I absolutely agree. Phone Post 3.0

Kansas is building windmills out the ass.

They are trying to connect to the Indiana grid (87% coal).

A few people in Missouri (83% coal) got pissed off and didn't want power lines near them. Threw a bitch fit and got it blocked.

Makes companies think twice about spending billions in the plains for windmills when they can't sell the electricity. Phone Post 3.0

Kubla khan - Kansas is building windmills out the ass.

They are trying to connect to the Indiana grid (87% coal).

A few people in Missouri (83% coal) got pissed off and didn't want power lines near them. Threw a bitch fit and got it blocked.

Makes companies think twice about spending billions in the plains for windmills when they can't sell the electricity. Phone Post 3.0
People all over both Missouri and Kansas are currently throwing a bitch-fit because energy prices are expected to go up between 10-15% across both states.

KCK AND KCMO both just went up 11% I believe. KPNL wanted to get 15%. Phone Post 3.0

In OK coal use has gone down gas stayed the same but renewables made up the difference.

"Coal is quite cheap, plentiful and employs many of their neighbors. Why would they want to use anything else?"

Because not dying is more important than an easy paycheck?

The technology for renewables isn't really viable just yet. Besides the issues of supplying droop control & reactive power reserves, it's just not reliable enough.

In practice you have to look no further than Denmark to see what happens when you try to employ 74% renewables with current technology. Basically, the transmission system operators end up controlling when you can heat/cool your home no matter your personal "wants".

Why not try a technology that slowly converts the grid while systems are developed? Something like solar thermal supplemental steam injection. With this type of system, a solar thermal system creates steam & injects the steam into a power plants feedwater heater system. With the steam energy supplied from the solar thermal farm the plant can cut out fires in its boiler reducing fuel, emissions & increasing efficiency. As a byproduct the grid is still supported by the mass of the prime movers in those large steam generators, keeping grid stability high.

EluThingol - An embed link? Phone Post 3.0
Ttt Phone Post 3.0

Most of the coal mines in WV have shut down and filed bankruptcy. The government has made it almost impossible to get a permit for further mining on job sites and most of the surrounding plants that used coal are converting to natural gas. It is cheaper and cleaner for an industry to run gas vs. coal, however coal does/did provide more jobs. In job-rich areas, that's no big deal, but when coal mining was 90% of southern wv's industry, its not that simple. Jobs included the actual mining, coal trucks, and coal treatment plants. When a mines shuts down, literally thousands are without work. Most of the state now is just like a giant park with abandoned towns scattered about. Sad, but the idiots in charge when coal was energizing the country didn't plan for the future in the areas of KY, WV and OH. Phone Post 3.0

Hydroelectricity and Marshawn Lynch