hughes finally admits the truth

"his choke had an effect on me, it made me unconcious"

matt hughes regarding the infamous triangle choke slam against carlos newton.

it was obvious to me then and hughes finally admits it. carlos newton choked him out and hughes fell slamming carlos to the canvas. hughes' feet never moved they buckled underneath him. he was the first to wake up and when he did he was in disbelief that he was given the win. he pointed at himself and when he realized he wsa given the gift he jumped in joy.

big ups carlos newton. hughes finally admits you choked him out.

He waited until enough time went by that they wouldn't bother going back and changing it to a "NC"

He's said that forever.....

And btw he said he wanted to slam Carlos before he went out and that's what he did.  The slam knocked out Newton and broke the triangle lock....

C'mon....you've probably seen the footage 100 times now.  Don't act like Newton didn't cheat by grabbing the fence because he was getting his ass handed to him with the slams.....

B Mcallister - He waited until enough time went by that they wouldn't bother going back and changing it to a "NC"

It wouldn't get overturned, even right after the fight. The refs decision is final.

Hughes is always honest w/himself and w/us.

EVERYBODY already KNEW this!

fuck this, im clicking on Joes gay dragon jeans thread

"I was out."--Hughes to Pat Miletich, in the Octagon after the fight (the broadcast clearly picks it up)

And Royce chokes out Dan Severn with his legs for the victory. Geez, do you have any older news? Hughes was clearly out, but he slammed Carlos before he was completely gone. Everyone knows this.

He still didn't outright say he was choked out. He said he was "going" unconscious"

So what? Newton grabbed the top of the fence illegally to prevent the slam. If there hadn't been that delay maybe Matt wouldn't have started to go out in the first place.

well they had a rematch....

Personally, I found Dana's comment "we kept Chuck away from Tito for a long time" (or however he said it) more interesting.

Mad Xyientist - He still didn't outright say he was choked out. He said he was "going" unconscious"

He may say that now, but on that night, in that octogon, he clearly said "I was out!" Not, "I was almost out!" Not, "I was going out!"

"I was out!"

And, yet, we see all the good fights Hughes gave us compared to all the good fights Newton gave us.
Think of it this way: In the 'real' world, a double knockout occurs. The first to become conscious would be the winner. Think about it.

^^^ I agree with you there.

It was obvious at the time Hughes was out. Carlos' mistake was to pull on the head instead of using the cage to work his way down.

Would love to see Carlos/Hughes 3. Seriously. I remember talking to Hughes after their second fight and he said to me that something was "wrong" with Carlos that night. In fact, I remember an interview on Sherdog years later when Hughes was seen as being unstoppable and was asked out of any fighter out there, who would he like to fight, and he answers "(without pause)Carlos. Carlos Newton." Might make for a great "tune up" for Hughes with a highly marketable, low risk fight...but don't be surprised that maybe, just maybe, carlos could shock.

Newton actually screwed himself with the fence grab. It just allowed Hughes to hoist him up higher.

stevarino - And, yet, we see all the good fights Hughes gave us compared to all the good fights Newton gave us.

Not really fair to Newton to say that. Shit happens and the ending could really have gone either way. Obviously their careers went in opposite directions, but at teh time, Carlos was a great fighter.

And his fight with Henderson back at 17 or 18 was a great fucking fight in which a lot of people though Carlos won. 

We'll never know what would have happend if Newton was awarded both of those wins.