Hughes Kicking Serra's Ass

I can't believe Serra is pulling from the fight. I think Hughes makes a great point saying that fighters fight less than 100 percent all the time and he should have stepped up somehow to make it happen. Especially after all the shit talk. I can't wait until someone shuts that guys yap, hopefully GSP gets his crack at him sooner than later in lieu of this, but I don't see how it's possible

His next fight be it GSP or Hughes will be a loss and I can't wait for it, he's been able to play the Champ card for way too long and he hasn't even had one title defense. and even though it's not his fault, it's absolute horse shit

I'm really interested in the question of whether Serra has a chance in hell against Hughes, and that question will only really be answered for me if Serra goes into the fight healthy.

The chatter from the sidelines is laughable on here.  We have NO idea to what extent Serra's injury limited his functionality.  My cousin had a herniated disc and couldn't walk to his car to go to the hospital.

Hughes "fighter fight all time time at less than 100%".  Yeah, well Pat Militech ended his career because of a bad back.  So I guess Hughes nemesis is now in the same category as his mentor.

Samoa.

Miletich had surgeries on his neck. Serra has a herniated disc, from what Ive heard. Ive had that problem for the last 7 years or so. It sucks. You cant lift, you cant bend, you lose sleep trying to get comfortable. I couldnt even bend over the sink to wash my face without being in pain. With that said, it would bother me for a week or so and then I'd fine. I had a flare up again last week and I felt fine after 3-4 days. Im just having a little problem trying to figure out why he's pulling out of the fight now, when the fight is over a month away. He possibly could be much better at that time. Hughes IS right. Nobody goes into a fight 100%

Serra has two herniated discs, but you are saying that you know exactly how he feels and how he will feel?  C'mon people; do you really think that Serra is afraid to fight Hughes?  Do you SERIOUSLY think that the top 1% of fighters are afraid of ANY other fighter?  Both guys have been around for YEARS and have fought the best of the best.  Neither fighter is afraid of the other.

If Matt Serra says that he has an injury that would significantly hinder his performance; I believe him.  I want to see both fighters in perfect health, or at least in condition that allows them to perform at the levels that got us excited to see the fight in the first place.  A 75% Matt Serra isn't the guy who knocked the fuck out of GSP.  A 75% Matt Hughes isn't the guy who beat up BJ Penn in the rematch.  I don't want to see partial fighters, and then hear excuses.  I don't like Matt Hughes, but if he said he couldn't fight at top condition (or near to it) I would respect it and WANT him to wait to fight as the fighter that earned the title shot.

Samoa.

No of course I dont know how Serra feels. Like I said, I had the same thing and continue to have a few bad days here and there. If I remember correctly it was my L-5 and L-6. When its bad, its really bad. Im just giving my experience. I went to therapy for a few weeks,(when it first happened) memorized the exercises and started doing them at home. After a while I was good. I can totally understand what he's going through but like I said, I couldnt figure out why he's pulling out when the fight is over a month away. Take some ibuprofen!!! :) J/K

You can have a herniation from just a tear to a total disk degeneration.

Either way it can cause your sciatic nerve to be pinched shut basically paralyzing you on that side.

It's one thing to fight hurt but if you can't get your leg to function there's no point in fighting.

Plus Serra wasn't afraid to fight GSP why would he be afraid to fight Hughes

Makes sense; I've never had those issues (not yet; I'm old though).  I guess I just trust the fighters to determine if they will be able to perform at a high level or not.

Samoa.

"I think Hughes makes a great point saying that fighters fight less than 100 percent all the time and he should have stepped up somehow to make it happen."

stfu. serra didn't pull out because he wanted to, he pulled out because he HAD to. he is not allowed to fight with a blown back.

Total FAGGOT thread.

There is a difference between fighting at 90% and 45%

Exactly, I and I trust the fighters to know themselves as to when they are 90% or 45%.  Until there is a trend (Vitor, Terrell, etc) vets like Serra should be trusted to evaluate their health and performance abilities in relation to an injury.

Samoa.

"Plus Serra wasn't afraid to fight GSP why would he be afraid to fight Hughes"

There is a huge difference between being a guy with nothing to lose, and being a guy whos going to lose being a champ and all the things that come with that

If Serra isn't fighting he must be realy hindered by the injury.
I've never had it but my father did, he could barely get out of bed, his daily 5k was non existent. How the hell are you supposed train to fight like that?

There is a huge difference between being a guy with nothing to lose, and being a guy whos going to lose being a champ and all the things that come with that

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, you are saying that Serra is afraid to fight Hughes?

Samoa.

My brother has a bad disc and when it goes bad he says there is no position he can get into to relieve the pain. It gets inflamed and bulges out. One time he needed a morphine shot to relax it. He fought the pain for 2 weeks but after the morphine it was gone in 3 days.

Hope Serra heals up well and is able to come back. What a shitty situation he must be going through. Injuries suck. :(

"No of course I dont know how Serra feels. Like I said, I had the same thing and continue to have a few bad days here and there. If I remember correctly it was my L-5 and L-6. When its bad, its really bad. Im just giving my experience. I went to therapy for a few weeks,(when it first happened) memorized the exercises and started doing them at home. After a while I was good. I can totally understand what he's going through but like I said, I couldnt figure out why he's pulling out when the fight is over a month away. Take some ibuprofen!!! :) J/K"

"Miletich had surgeries on his neck. Serra has a herniated disc, from what Ive heard. Ive had that problem for the last 7 years or so. It sucks. You cant lift, you cant bend, you lose sleep trying to get comfortable. I couldnt even bend over the sink to wash my face without being in pain. With that said, it would bother me for a week or so and then I'd fine. I had a flare up again last week and I felt fine after 3-4 days. Im just having a little problem trying to figure out why he's pulling out of the fight now, when the fight is over a month away. He possibly could be much better at that time. Hughes IS right. Nobody goes into a fight 100%"

The symptoms come from the compression of a spinal nerve. The degree of disability from a herniated disk injury can vary widely in case to case. The injury is still considered to be a herniated disk whether or not the nerve is severely compressed or just slightly impinged. From his quote, it sounds like a severe case. Unlike the two of you, he doesn't have the luxury of doing light exercises and rehabilitating without a set time line. He has extremely rigorous training and a fight with a world class welterweight in the coming month. He could easily make his injury worse if he chose to ignore it.

The reason he announced this so late is because the injury just happened recently. By pulling out now, at least he is giving the UFC some time to setup another match up for the fans. If he pulls a "wait and see" and the problem doesn't go away by itself in a hurry, a later cancellation would leave NO time for a replacement fight.

Very silly thread. Just silly.

personally, I would be more terrified of fighting GSP than hughes. To say that serra is punking out AFTER KO'ing THE next gen fighter is actually kinda funny.