Hughes Says he don't Wanna Fight

"Didn't Hughes already say he wanted a fight before GSP? That's why he wanted to fight in Ohio instead of Montreal. If so it's pointless for you guys to demand an immediate rematch on his behalf."]

and that is a fair point. it was apparently of Hughes request that the rematch be delayed, and now it appears he wants the perfect pampering set up and is being far too picky.

"Because he doesn't deserve to get an automatic rematch after the hardocre whoppin' GSP gave him."

The most dominant champion in the history of the UFC doesn't deserve an immediate remach? Come on, if any one deserves it, it's Hughes.

As others have said, Hughes deserves the rematch anytime he wants it. He is the most dominate champion in UFC history, and fought and defeated everyone UFC could come up with to throw at him, including GSP. It is 1-1 in that series. Both have a decisive victory over the other.

Hughes is part of a team, and when the team says we need to take some more training time to maximize our chance at winning the title back from a GREAT fighter, that seems to make some good sense to most logical people, which most of the UG is not a part of.

Deigo deserves a title shot but if the UFC wants to he can smash Matt first, and I'm not a diego fan

Matt loses one fight and you guys on here write him off like he is some chump or something. He would crush Diego, remember Diego/Alessio? Diego couldn't even take him down or anything else for that matter. Diego said he didn't have to cut weight for the last fight. He isn't strong enough to out wrestle Matt, or good enough on his feet to KO him. If Matt wants a fight before hand he deserves it. Who has been a more dominant champion than Matt Hughes? NO ONE!!

NHB26 is 100% correct. Hughes would put a serious beating on Diego. There is nothing Diego is better at than Hughes, and that includes standup and submission. On the other hand, Hughes can completely manhandle Diego with wrestling and gnp. Diego has yet to face a top level WW in UFC, unless you want to consider Karo one, which is debatable. Not to take anything away from Karo, but there is a big talent drop from the very top level to the next level down. I think Karo is more in the second group down. Karo took Diego down pretty steadily until he gassed out. Karo is no Matt Hughes by any stretch of the imagination. Diego also fought even fights with Allessio and Diaz, who are just average type WW fighters, and certainly not even close to the top level. Diego and all of his backers will get a serious wakeup call if he does in fact face Matt Hughes.

I like Hughes but I think he would lose this one.

After he lost to GSP, he became a Catholic. (for the magic)

Diego would beat Hughes wich means a lot of people here will have to be put on suicide watch

I will be very surpised if Hughes/Sanchez happens before Matt fights GSP again. It just doesn't make sense for the UFC. Unless Dana doesn't think Matt has a chance against Diego and is writeing him off. Which I don't think is his thinking. But like I said above, if Matt wants a fight before GSP he deserves it. It's whatever, but Matt would own Diego and everyone else in the UFC at 170 besides GSP and BJ (but he's at 155 now).

I dont think the UFC wants that match up .....Diego vs Matt ...Diego is almost like a poster boy right now ...to expose him like Matt Hughes will... would be embarassing...The UFC might take a chance at putting Diego in there with BJ ..which would be another mistake .....because the PRODIGY is coming for the belt in '07

I agree with the posters who say:

1) Matt should have the right to a rematch whenever he is ready, and
whenever the champ is ready. Matt has no obligation for a tune-up, or to
"work his way back." Gimme a break. But if he wants a tune-up, this is
his choice, based on money and his physical and mental needs prior to a
rematch.

2) As much as I would love to see Hughes-Sanchez "elimination bout,"
and even if both Hughes and Sanchez wanted it, I don't think the UFC
would do this because it would eliminate a guaranteed main event PPV
show, since the loser of Hughes-Sanchez (tough fight to call) will not be
in line for an immediate title shot. Plus, if Hughes loses, he might retire,
and that would be un-dramatic if it weren't from a title shot.

"wtf, you guys who think he doesn't deserve a rematch with GSP right away are ridiculous."

Does it really matter? I thought Matt had requested a tune up fight before he rematched GSP again?

I agree with everything NHB26 has said.

First off, when did Matt say that he wouldn't fight Diego?

And the haters just flock after the most dominant champ in UFC history loses a fight against someone like St. Pierre. Who had beat previously.

"Diego on the other hand has dismantled all his opponents and deserves a title shot.

I agree 100%"

lol

where did anyone hear that he doesn't want to fight Diego?

so he will fight GSP, BJ, etc and not Diego? LOL!

sorry Hughes, u r relegated to "gatekeeper" status now

If the Montreal show is postponed till mid summer then it makes since for Matt to fight someone else before that fight. I think Dana and the UFC want a Hughes/GSP 3 fight in Canada. That is why Matt wants to fight someone in between, it's to much time off. If he didn't he wouldn't fight until around June.

Smokin'Guns made this thread. Who told him Matt said he didn't want the GSP fight and he wanted to fight someone else? I would like to know and so would everyone on this thread.

ttt

It doesn't matter if he was champ for 25 years, he should have to get a "win" before he gets a shot at the title. It doesn't matter if it's a win over Diego or a win over the mailman......