Hughes vs. Anderson Silva

I haven't been on the board a lot since the fraklin vs. silva fight, but i want
to state in my own humble opinion that if hughes beats st. pierre, and
then immediately moves up to fight anderson silva, that would be the
most anticipated MMA fight in the United STATES - ever!!!

This would put the sport over the edge in this country - big time!!

• truthfreesyou

I wonder what the odds on that fight would be. I would love to be able to bet on Hughes as an underdog.

Unfortunately, it would be the worst dryhumping since prom night in Provo, Utah.

i think hughes vs. silva would be bigger, because it truly is a superfight,
while tito ortiz is not truly on that level right now. he might be once
again, if he wins this one, but not quite yet...

plus, you got an american against a brazilian - avenging the loss of his
friend. did you see the scene of matt hughes consoling rich franklin's
wife?

this is Rocky 4, but in real life - Ivan Drago killing Creed in front of
Rocky!!!!

Well the last time Hughes tried fighting at 185 it was against Pele wasn't it? We all know what happened there...

And Anderson Silva is soooooo Pele ver. 2.5

98lbweaking: you can actually complain about this matchup? what do
you want, G-d vs. The Devil or something???

truthfreesyou - I guess in a sense I'm complaining. Only because I don't want to see an exciting fighter like Silva laid on and cut by an elbow. Then again, there are some who may consider that very prospect exciting... I'm just not one of them.

"HOLY SHIT! How many years ago was that?!"

No shit! I was waiting for someone to bring up that fight that took place almost 6 years ago!!!!!

It's funny, because almost every single top fighter has a loss in mma, yet only the UFC fighters get blasted for it.

98lbweakling, if Hughes isnt exciting on the ground, then who is? I cant think of many fighters who are as active in trying to pass, submit and inflict damage upon their opponents as Hughes.

I dont get how people can bitch about a fighter who likes to fight on the ground. That is half the sport, if you hate it so much, watch kickboxing.

That would be a great fight ! Silva is not easily taken down though . But I'd like to see his ground skill's if he was . I've heard they're pretty good . I think he recently subbed someone( don't know who yet ? ) with a great triangle . Silva did K.O. Carlos Newton , with a flying knee when Newton went for a double leg in pride . But Carlos does'nt have the takedown's Hughes does .

lol @ complaining about dryhumping from a guy with one of the best finishing rates in the entire sport.

MJMarko - I guess I could have been clearer. I like groundfighting... love it in fact. I enjoy the transitions, reversals, and sub attempts as much as the next guy. Hughes' style of groundfighting, no matter how many finishes he has, is not particularly exciting to me. Not that he isn't good at what he does... it's just not what I consider exciting. If A. Silva had a chance at defending the takedowns and either reversing once on the ground or standing back up, I'd have my nose pressed against the screen for this fight. Unfortunately, Hughes is a terrible match up for Silva. The GSP fight, on the other hand, will be one for the ages simply because he has the wrestling skillset to compete with Hughes. Just my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdD4l__URXY

98lbweakling - I was just curious because I cant really think of anyone who is more active on the ground (GSP and Diego are up there) than Hughes. I actually think that Hughes would inflict a lot of damage on Anderson but I dont know if he could stop him and five rounds gives Anderson a lot of time to catch him.

For the people that are comparing it to Pele v. Hughes. First off, this would not even be close to the same fight. Hughes is 10x better now and if I remember correctly, didnt that win come off a perfectly timed knee from Pele as Hughes was shooting in (cant remember for sure). I dont think that will happen to Hughes again because he is more adapted to MMA and sets up his shots as opposed to just shooting straight in and allowing a counter like that.

Anyone who thinks Hughes will get "murdered" by Silva should look at who The Spider has lost to - Chonan took him down and submitted him with a flying heel-hook for Chrissakes !!!

OK, so we will dismiss all of Hughes losses because "they were years ago, or (Penn) "it was a fluke" but then you count Anderson's losses as proof of something? Riiiight.

Samoa.

Everyone talking about Hughes being boring, don't forget he has produced some of the greatest, most compelling fights in UFC history. Hughes-Trigg 2 and Hughes-Penn 2 are among the greatest ever.

Hughes definitely has the style to defeat Silva. The size differencial is not all that significant.

There is a reason why Hughes stays 2 weightclasses below his natural weight.

He cannot hang with 185ers.

Hughes would get destroyed by Anderson Silva.

if hughes beats st. pierre

If.

"For the people that are comparing it to Pele v. Hughes. First off, this would not even be close to the same fight. Hughes is 10x better now and if I remember correctly, didnt that win come off a perfectly timed knee from Pele as Hughes was shooting in (cant remember for sure). I dont think that will happen to Hughes again because he is more adapted to MMA and sets up his shots as opposed to just shooting straight in and allowing a counter like that."

I believe you are correct. Pele caught him with a knee as he was shooting in.

^^

Hughes shoots exactly the same now as he did then; besides if the sport has evolved and Hughes has mysteriously benefitted from it; Anderson Silva has benefitted from the evolution as well. Anderson Silva is much better than Pele is/was though.

Just to get my opinion out there now though; it will be a striker who beats Hughes, not a JJ guy or another wrestler. BJ could do it again, but he'll have to do in the first two rounds because Matt will always have better cardio than BJ.

Samoa.