This is a classic example of the PPV’s the old school fans hate. Even by 2022 standards its a terrible PPV card.
You got the title fight with a challenger who has not created a lot of excitement for his title run despite lots of wins in the process.
Then with the Aldo fight you got a legend a lot of fans want to see getting the next title shot instead fighting killer rising up the ranks.
Then you got a former champ coming out of retirement and his chin might be shot and he is fighting a top ten guy who has not looked great lately so they are like 0-5 in their past five combined.
Then with the Romanov fight you have an undefeated HW from a country nobody can find on a map vs a solid HW who has sort of been a fringe top 15 HW his entire UFC run.
Thats it. After that the card is filled with guys who are the 68th ranked FW’s, LHW’s who almost have .500 records and they don’t even have fifteen fights in their career, 125 lb men who are not in the top 50 in the world, females who are 13-7 but are getting a UFC debut because UFC needs to fill the card with someone cheap to sign, they fill up the same amount of time on the card as someone expensive to keep like Mousasi so just let him go headline Bellator shows.
There is still a lot to like about MMA but I get the issues people have with PPV cards like this.
Not only am I not ordering it for $79.99 but I would not watch the prelims if you paid me $20 to sit there and do that for four hours and the Aldo fight is really all I’m interested in.
UFC 278 Quick Card
- Kamaru Usman vs. Leon Edwards 170 lbs
- Paulo Costa vs. Luke Rockhold 185 lbs
- José Aldo vs. Merab Dvalishvili 135 lbs
- Marcin Tybura vs. Alexandr Romanov 265 lbs
- Sean Woodson vs. Luis Saldaña 145 lbs
- Aoriqileng vs. Jay Perrin 135 lbs
- Tyson Pedro vs. Harry Hunsucker 205 lbs
- Victor Altamirano vs. Daniel da Silva 125 lbs
- Lucie Pudilová vs. Yanan Wu 135 lbs
- AJ Fletcher vs. Ange Loosa 170 lbs
- Amir Albazi vs. F. Figueiredo 125 lbs
- Jared Gordon vs. Leonardo Santos 155 lb