I cant believe how long the ps1 lasted

and how its actually or was for a while in the same generation as the dreamcast. Incredibly now thinking about it. A system you can emulate now on a 300 dollar laptop compared to one you cant emulate fully on the best of hardware both being in the same timeframe alive and people actually being at the time dumb enough to drop the ps1 and purchase the dreamcast. Amazing isnt it? People preferring crash bandicoot to the amazement of sonic adventure (which even blew mario 64 out of the water).

dreamcast was not the same generation as ps1. it was in the PS2 and Xbox generation.

According to Wikipedia it was release on December 3, 1994 in Japan and discontinued March 23, 2006. That is quite a long time.

Emulation is, simply, the rapid recoding of a game file.  That does not imply that the graphics or advancements of any sort is what keeps the dreamcast/ps from playing on modern gaming machines, its the lack of a dedicated team that cares enough to wade through the convoluted clusterfuck of code (that killed the dreamcast in just a few years).

ps1 is the best console ever made.

The Dreamcast came in the year prior to the PS2's release and was orginally slated to be a competitor before it folded.

The interesting thing is that a lot of people thought the PS2 would be miles ahead of the Dreamcast (making it instantly obsolete), but the PS2 wasn't nearly as good as the hype suggested.

Remember the Emotion chip(lol!) being so advanced that it was allegedly prohibited for sale to North Korean? LOL!

eric than please explain why a system has to be at least 4 times as powerful to emulate it. And why for example you cant have saturn emulators on the psp?

Eric Collins -  Emulation is, simply, the rapid recoding of a game file.  That does not imply that the graphics or advancements of any sort is what keeps the dreamcast/ps from playing on modern gaming machines, its the lack of a dedicated team that cares enough to wade through the convoluted clusterfuck of code (that killed the dreamcast in just a few years).

Not even close.

Emulation means doing something via software that is done via hardware.

The reason why it's hard to emulate systems like ps1 and ps2 as they were mostly proprietary hardware sets with no documentation, i.e. no quick way to reverse engineer the capabilities of the 'chips.'

The reason why MAME can emulate so many old arcade games is that those cabinets used chips that were broadly available like the Motorola 65k and Z1. These chips had widely available documentation, thus easy to re-engineer.

You need n-times the amount of processing speed to emulate a system because software is much slower than hardware(think 3d accelerated video cards vs. doing the 3d solely on the cpu).

Nothing about the code killed the DC, it was because of three things, EA exclusive to PS2, pirateable without any modifications and weird(bug great) Japanese games that didn't sell well in North America (think Jet Set Radio).

bs come on now, hardcore gamers in general dont give a crap about ea (same gamers who buy xbox products), ps and ps2 and psp has way more weird japanese games like katamari and other crap (in fact when psp stopped selling software in the west the only thing that would come out for it in 2006/2007 was japanese like monster hunter knockoffs), and psp is way more pirate prone and xbox was primarey used for emulators and piracy too.

BreakerOfNations - bs come on now, hardcore gamers in general dont give a crap about ea (same gamers who buy xbox products), ps and ps2 and psp has way more weird japanese games like katamari and other crap (in fact when psp stopped selling software in the west the only thing that would come out for it in 2006/2007 was japanese like monster hunter knockoffs), and psp is way more pirate prone and xbox was primarey used for emulators and piracy too.

I'm sorry but you are mistaken.

EA being PS2 exclusive was a massive problem for the Dreamcast. NFL2k was in fact a better game than the Maddens of its era but if you wanted hockey or soccer there was very little love on the DC.

PSP is not more pirate prone than the DC. The DC was the easiest system to pirate on (except that very first PS1's that you could do the swap thing on.) You didn't need to do anything to the DC to have it run burned games, other than downloading them from the internet and burn them.

on psp all you need is custom firmware and dont even need programs like hacked/certain versions of nero or whatever to mess with. Ivr had problems burning dc games due to the compability of msot burn programs for instance. It isnt that easy, piuracy on ps1 and ps2 wasnt hard either. and certainly xbox with the modded xboxes and all being so common.

The Dreamcast can emulate the Playstation 1. So no, they're not even close to being in the same generation.

And I mean you can put a PS1 disc in a Dreamcast and play it at twice the original resolution and with extra anti-aliasing.

What do you mean EXTRA anti-aliasing?

but if the dc can emulate ps1 (which I remember now it could) why did companies even bother releasing multiplatform games like rayman 2 on both?

BreakerOfNations - on psp all you need is custom firmware and dont even need programs like hacked/certain versions of nero or whatever to mess with. Ivr had problems burning dc games due to the compability of msot burn programs for instance. It isnt that easy, piuracy on ps1 and ps2 wasnt hard either. and certainly xbox with the modded xboxes and all being so common.

Yes you need to load custom firmware onto your PSP. The dreamcast only needed iso's loaded from the internet and burnt with discjuggler and you were set. They even had discjuggler to nero image converters so you didn't need dj.

ps1 and ps2 you needed a chip or the swap key thingie.

The ps1 emulator for dc was called bleemcast and it only played a few games and was pulled due to legal reasons (i think).

The only versions of Bleemcast that were sold in stores were bootdiscs that were made for 1 game each. Bleemcast for Tekken 3, Bleemcast for Gran Turismo 2, Bleemcast for Metal Gear Solid. These games were emulated almost perfectly. Actually they worked better than they worked on the PS1, so that goes further than just emulation.

The next Bleem project was going to be Bleempak discs which would work with 100 games each. But Sony sued them, Sega sued them, and the companies that developed the games sued them. Sony wanted people to play PS1 games on the PS2 instead of the Dreamcast. Sega wanted people to buy Dreamcast games instead of PS1 games. And game developers wanted people to buy new improved games instead of playing old games in a new and improved way.

So Bleem got shut down before they perfected the emulation for all PS1 games. But you can get a Beta version that works on about 1/3 of all PS1 games. The most common problem with emulation is full-motion video intros and cutscenes within the games, because they don't use the regular gameplay engine. So with some games you can play the actual game, but any cutscenes will look like garbled mess on the screen. Or sometimes the game works but the music doesn't work, or some of the background graphics are messed up. Kind of like the emulation on the current models of PS3.

Another thing the Dreamcast can do with a bootdisc is play Video CDs, including movies for the Phillips CD-i. Maybe Sega should have built in that feature so they would have had an answer to Sony's DVD function in the PS2. It wouldn't have cost them any extra hardware, since it can be done with a boot disc. But maybe they thought people didn't care, since nobody bought the expensive expansion for the Sega Saturn that allowed it to play Video CDs.

what about the jaguar isnt it designed even more complicated than saturn or are they about equal? And would emulating it on the psp/dc be easier than saturn? Also what do u guys think is better bleemcast mgs or mgs twin snakes?

I had never play Spyro the Dragon before, but I DLed it on my PS3. That is a really solid game with a lot of thought put into it, from the controls to the loading screens. If Super Mario 64 had never been made, Spyro would be a good substitute to represent the potential of early 3D games.

imo crash is more fun than mario 64. I dont get what the big deal about mario 64 was.

Classic PS1 games are often worth more now than they were in their heyday.

The non-Platinum FF7 I got secondhand for NZ$30 in 1999 is now worth NZ$150 on TradeMe.