I could be BJJ blackbelt in 2yrs

Saw this in another forum lol:

"First off I do not practice bjj.The other night before my kenpo
class I was looking at a book a fellow student had brought in that
was written by Rickson and Royler Gracie.The book was set up by
belt rank.And most of the techniques in this book I know some of
not well but I know it,and to my surprise BJJ doesn't have a mass
of technquie as some say.And there has been few to no new
technquie since the Kodokan Judo,same moves diffrent names.

My
question is how difficult is it to acell in BJJ?In my opinion I think
with the proper time and teacher I could recieve a bb in a couple
years max.I'm not trying to be arogant I just comprihend grapping
moves very well.

I would like to hear from some experinced bjjers out there.From
what was in rickson and royler's book the teaching of techinquie
(IMO) must be fairly slow. Please correct me if I'm wrong."

lol

I guess he doesnt know that there's a difference between knowing how to do a move and actually being able to do it on a resisting opponent.

To be a blackbelt you have to be able to do it on a resisting black belt.

The book in question is Renzo and Roylers book and although it is a good book, the whole belt level thing is can be misleading to someone who hasn't trained in BJJ and is just flipping through it. If that guy ever gets on the mat, he'll soon learn how wrong he is.

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

I learned every move in the Renzo/Royler book and lots lots more while I still a white belt. Knowing moves doesn't mean much. That book's separation of chapters is totally misleading.

some people just never learn especialy karate experts like this asshole.

This guy probably isn't too much of an asshole. He is however, very uninformed. I can see how a lot of hype used to sell books can mis-lead people who are not involved in bjj.

I would tell him this:
There are many guys who know the techniques in that book plus many more; and, cannot perform at even blue or purple level.

There are Black Belts who never use more than a couple dozen techniques, with variations, that can dominate almost everyone else.

Thankfully, bjj is still about proving it on the mat for the most part.

ive got that book by renzo and royler, im only a white belt and some of the techniques in the book i can do, the book is great but there is that much to BJJ that it cannot be covered in a book, the book is just to give a basic guide to jiu jitsu the only way to get good is to have plenty of time on the mat. BJJ is the greatest art their is. try it out, ill be lucky to get my blue belt in 2 years never mind a black belt, who would wantto be a black belt in 2 years if blue belts could beat them, this is time served stuff.

OH MAN!!

:)

When this guy figures out that there only about FOUR moves in boxing, I bet he'll think he can be a pro boxer within a week!

Jab, Rt cross, lt hook, lt/rt uppercut. hmmm.

That book is a little misleading, for sure. Way too many techniques for a certain belt, and IMO, many of the techniques are in the wrong belt catagory.

As far as time for belts, though, I think its all realtive. I got my blue after 6 months training 3-4 times per week. But then it took over two years training 5-6 or more times per week to get purple.

Belts in BJJ are very subjective and the criteria vary to a large degree between schools. That book to me was not so much of a belt guide as it was a quick reference for a forgotten detail, nothing more. Furthermore, and I know not everyone has the option of an instructor, but this to me is the reason why you should never learn everything from a book alone.

too much correctness on this thread :)

"When this guy figures out that there only about FOUR moves in
boxing, I bet he'll think he can be a pro boxer within a week! "

You sir are absolutely correct! But it brings me back to a thread I
started not too long ago about surviving in BJJ with only the bare
basics. Can a BJJer control and submit opponents with the
knowledge of only a few basic techniques, like a basic guard pass,
basic armbar, basic choke etc. What if this BJJer can control and
submit using only these techniques as he/she goes up the ranks?
Possible? Or would he/she need to have a wide-ranging
knowledge of open guard, spider guard, a variety of sweeps and
submissions.

Look at many famous BJJ BBs footage from earlier in their careers and you will see many applying the same techniques and fighting the same way.

The only difference between a white belt not hitting the technique and a BB getting it is experience and feel, not necesarily in the complexity of the technique itself. Mat time, plain and simple, and overall awareness. I find myself frequently saying "Oh, thats how it works" and suddenly I am capable of hitting the move even though I'd been taught it and practiced it many, many times. Plus, the set up is really the most important aspect of the technique, as in Judo and kazushi being the most important part of the throw.

"too much correctness on this thread :) "

Of course there is much correctness in this thread,
this is a BJJ forum. But if I had posted this in a
kenpo/karate/TKD forum then there would be much
less correctness. But they'd all think they're correct
anyway so it's all relative, until a beatdown
happens somewhere along the way.

As a matter of fact, if you are located in San Diego and would like to find out want a real ass kicking feels like, please feel free to write me. I have a few guys at my school that would love to show you how hard it could be. And I am just a lonely blue belt that has been training BJJ for six years.

By the way I am a 2nd degree BB in Kempo. That only took me six month to get.

"By the way I am a 2nd degree BB in Kempo. That only took me
six month to get."

That guy in the first post isn't one of your friends is it...

"Of course there is much correctness in this thread, this is a BJJ forum. But if I had posted this in a kenpo/karate/TKD forum then there would be much less correctness. But they'd all think they're correct anyway so it's all relative, until a beatdown happens somewhere along the way.
"

-

TOO much Correctness again :)

hands fig4u a cookie

that's what you wanted, right? :-)

"But if I had posted this in a kenpo/karate/TKD forum then there would be much less correctness."

Apart from our own TMA forum that is!!!!