I could be BJJ blackbelt in 2yrs

I would like to visit san diego to actually experience an ass kicking... however its unlikely to happen .

" I would like to visit san diego to actually experience an ass
kicking... however its unlikely to happen ."

lol

but you don't need to, it all happened in the early UFCs already.
'nuff said.

San Diego has a multitude of talent though, no doubt about it.

Being a black belt in BJJ (or any art, for that matter) is less about what/how many "techniques" you know, and more about the following four things:

Timing, Awareness, Sensitivity, Experience

2 years to BJJ Black?  That is actually quite realistic...................

for someone who is already a BJJ Brown belt, that is!! ;-)

Gakami asks:

"Can a BJJer control and submit opponents with the knowledge of only a few basic techniques, like a basic guard pass, basic armbar, basic choke etc. What if this BJJer can control and submit using only these techniques as he/she goes up the ranks? Possible? Or would he/she need to have a wide-ranging knowledge of open guard, spider guard, a variety of sweeps and submissions."

I believe that a BJJer could indeed excel and advance through the ranks by using only so-called "basic" techniques.

However, the person's application of these techniques would have to be near-perfect at all times. And, I think that perfect application of "basic" techs would necessarily require a working knowledge of the other "advanced" techs that you list, simply because you would need to be aware of these techniques in order to recognize and defend against them.

If you know 1 guard pass.

1 take down.

1 sweep.

1 way to get your guard back and espace bad positions

and the basic subs from some basic positions

you can be the world champion, provided, you can do that 1 guard pass, 1 take down, 1 sweep, 1 escape etc. . . better than anyone

well if you're working on that 1 guard pass, 1 take down, 1 sweep,
1 escape all the time instead of trying out other techniques,
wouldn't you be better at it than anyone else?

that would be against your own age and weight class tho'

what do you mean

I would think that is a person is very diligent and committment in reagrds to their practice time they would progress fairly quickly and naturally in Bjj.

Does that mean they'll get a black belt in 2 years? Probably not. But I wouldn't rule that out for some people particular if they are good athletes and had some experience in related activities like Judo, wrestling.

It is interesting to note that the Japanese fighter (I forget his name) who Rickson fought in his first Vale Tudo tournament in Japan interviewed Rickson about a year or so after this tournament.

Rickson asked this guy about his background in regards to his training with the Judo great Kimura. This Japanese fighter was coached by Kimura for 4 years at some Japanese university.

Anyway one of the Japanese fighter's associates asked Rickson how long would it take for this Japanese fighter to get a black belt in Bjj.

Rickson said TWO YEARS. All the guy needed to do was work on his defense according to Rickson.

Apparently if you come to bjj with some physical skills AND more importantly if you have very good training/practice habits then progressing in bjj should be a very simple and natural thing.

You are crazy if you think anyone can get a BJJ black belt in 2 years...

My wrestling coach told me this one, great quote

"You don't need to know a lot of moves, if you can hit this one take down on every guy, and hit this one espace on every guy, you'll be state champ."

MAf,
BJJ has what other arts wished they still had - integrity with it's belt gradings. You don't get black belt in BJJ without being very skilled and being able to apply those skills. Can you say the same thing for TKD or karate?

Why should a black belt be easily obtainable? How does that benefit anyone? If you want to talk about dodgy business practices regarding belts then look at McDojo's, not the art where if you have a purple belt or above then people know you've got good skills.

To say it should only take a year to get to black belt shows how little you know about BJJ.

I agree with JohnnyS. There is so much to learn in BJJ. I am an old
Karate man who has been in the Martial Arts for over 30 years and have
fell in love with BJJ. Over my years I have seen Karate students receive
their Black Belts in 4 years or less. "We never had one make it in 2
years." And I know that TKD hands them out in 2 years or less. But
in BJJ there are so many different techniques to learn. And please
remember to learn a technique you must pratice it at least a 1000
times to make it part of you, (muscle memory). This is why it takes
so long. It all comes down to your training. If you train more each
day, then it might take less time, but not 2 years. The fastest I have
heard of was someone making it in 6 years, but he was able to train

with a BJJ Black Belt in both morning and evening classes 5 days a
week. What is the hurry??? Take your time and enjoy the learning....

Rdragon,

I hear what you're saying.

I disagree with you alittle in some of your points.

First off let me say that I think we are equating being a black belt with being good and the two aren't mutually exclusive. One would think that if you're a black belt in bjj you would be good at bjj.
But I don't think one has to be or should wait to be a black belt in bjj in order to be good at it. You can and really should be good at Bjj (if you put in the time and effort) well before you reach Black belt rank. And ultimately that is what matters being good. Having any rank including balck belt is meanless if your not good and if you can't perform well.

JJ Machado made a good point in his autobiographical docu-video. He says if you were to ask him years ago how long it would take to be good at bjj he would tell you 10 years. If you were to ask him the same question now he would tell you 2 years. I think he understood there is a difference between being a black belt and being good and that you don't have to neccessarily be the former in order to be the latter.

Another thing I don't agree with is the notion of knowing many techniques is neccessary for mastering Bjj. I think this is non-sense especially when you consider that in all the circumstances that one will use Bjj, whether on the street, in competition both with or without the gi, NHB, there are only a few high percentage moves one will consistently use. So yeah there may be alot of moves in Bjj BUT only a few those moves are actually used. So the quantity or amount of moves one needs to know in order to master or be good at bjj isn't really all that much. The key is to know and do those few high percentage techniques well. so you really don't need to learn alot but rather learn what is neccessary, useful and practical and consistently practice that.

Bjj is NOT rocket science nor is it the hardest physical activity to learn and do (I can think of alot of other physical activity which are far harder to learn and do than Bjj) so it shouldn't be too hard nor take to long to become good at Bjj. Now in my view there is a distinction and difference between being good at Bjj and being a black belt.

Nonetheless I agree with JJ Machado's point I think a person can become good at Bjj in as little time as two years. I think a person can become a black belt in bjj in about 5 to 6 years.

I think most people, because of the way they think, make Bjj harder to learn and do than it really is.

I do not think mutual exclusion means what you think it means.

Andrew Yao,

You're right! My mistake. My point was that one thing doesn't necessarily mean or need the other thing.

One doesn't need a black belt to be good at bjj.

Point in fact, me!

Your Father,

Actually that is true for any physical activity including other martial arts and combat sports and not just Bjj.

The fact that people actually think this is true only for bjj is sad.

Your Father,

What you say has nothing to do with the martial arts as a physical activity in and of itself.

That "problem" has everything to do with the teacher or coach of that particular martial art.

But the fact remains that EVERY physical activity, which includes all martial arts, skill is demostrated by the doing and not just knowing.

Bjj is not unique in this. This is how ALL physical activities are. No person can truly say there are an "expert" in basketball without having any true basketball skill and without demostrating that skill on the court. This same principle can be said for ANY physical activity regardless of the type of physical activity it is.

So the idea that Bjj is the "only" martial art or physical activity where "skill" is measured and demostrated via practical application is ridiculous and untrue.

Bjj didn't invent that concept or principle.

"show and prove" is older than any martial art.

A person who thinks like you do has obviously never really done any other physical activities and worse don't view martial arts as physical activities.

Part of the difference between BJJ and most other arts is the way you train. What other art can you train full contact on a regular basis? Check out the following website for a good explanation of the belt levels-

http://bjj.org/articles/harris-progression.html

By the way, I've trained 3 days a week, for almost 2 years, minus about 6 months due to injury and work, and I'm still a white belt. Relson Gracie, the head of our school, wants you to have the skill level in each catagory before advancing to the next level. Obviously ,if someone has a good takedown or other skill, they might win a tournament without having all the skills of the next belt level. There's a lot more to obtaining the next belt than winning a match.