I don't know War Machine...

...but I once had a short conversation with Jon Koppenhaver right after TUF 6, and even that short time with him seemed to reveal a lot and get me thinking. For whatever it's worth - and it isn't much - I wrote a column with some of those thoughts today at Yahoo! Sports. It's below.

MMA Fighter Wanted For Beating Girlfriend In Las Vegas Captured In Simi Valley

"Just once, a long time ago, I interviewed Jon Koppenhaver. This was back in 2007, right after he'd been on The Ultimate fighter 6, and before he changed his legal name to "War Machine."

Even so, seven years ago, it was clear that something was wrong inside Koppenhaver. Something angry, sure, but also something sad."

READ MORE

EEE

"His coach on the show, Matt Serra, repeatedly shook his head, smiled wondered what was up with the fighter after his unpredictable outbursts.

"Physically, he could be a problem for anyone. But, I'll tell ya, mentally, he's definitely got some issues.
War's kind of a piece of work, you know? He just..you know...man, what a nut," Serra opined, lightly."

TTT

Hong Kong Phooey - 

EEE

Thanks for reading, friend. Certainly not a fun topic to be writing about

Good piece. Phone Post 3.0

Well written.

It is too bad that JK did not seek out and stay dedicated to any sort of psychological help like he has done with his martial arts training.  Working through his past demons could have allowed him to move forward in his life.  Instead, his demons have driven his behavior to outrageous and criminal acts.  It is incredibly difficult to deal with a horrific upbringing, and tragically, that is one fight Joh Kopenhaver has apparently lost.

Sadly, I don't think Joh Kopenhaver is going to emerge from prison.  It will be a broken-down, forever damaged and even more out-of-control ex-con named Warmachine.

FTUGTT_Mix6APlix - Excellent read. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for reading it

Elias Cepeda -

...but I once had a short conversation with Jon Koppenhaver right after TUF 6, and even that short time with him seemed to reveal a lot and get me thinking. For whatever it's worth - and it isn't much - I wrote a column with some of those thoughts today at Yahoo! Sports. It's below.

MMA Fighter Wanted For Beating Girlfriend In Las Vegas Captured In Simi Valley

"Just once, a long time ago, I interviewed Jon Koppenhaver. This was back in 2007, right after he'd been on The Ultimate fighter 6, and before he changed his legal name to "War Machine."

Even so, seven years ago, it was clear that something was wrong inside Koppenhaver. Something angry, sure, but also something sad."

READ MORE

VU! Good read Phone Post 3.0

I liked how you kept referencing his real
Name and his new name, might be more truth to that than we know Phone Post 3.0

Great read! Phone Post 3.0

VU. Great read. Very well written sir. Phone Post 3.0

Excellent read!

Solid piece.

Later Phone Post 3.0

HandyDarsh - I liked how you kept referencing his real

Agreed. Great writing Elias.

Great read!! Thank you.

mixedmartialfarts - 
HandyDarsh - I liked how you kept referencing his real

Agreed. Great writing Elias.

Thank you, both.

Not exactly sure, but it seems like the point of the article is to elicit sympathy. That Koppenhaver was in his own way seeking help that he never got? For me, he has lost any hope for my sympathy. Not just with this alleged brutal assault, but with all the negative and ugly things he has said over the past. I think I have read a thousand negative stories about him in the past with not one positive episode. Seems like he was always blaming someone else for his problems or that no one treated him fairly, yet he flouted every social convention known to man.

I cannot muster sympathy for people who go out of their way to bring trouble to themselves, and then whine that life is unfair when they suffer the fallout. I save my sympathy for Christy Mack and the poor guy who found himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. They are the truly innocent parties and deserving of sympathy. Koppenhaver will find out the hard way that your actions carry consequences and repercussions, and if he did commit the crimes, he deserves of every ounce of The Hammer of Repercussion.

The purpose of the article was not to elicit sympathy. It was simply a little reflection Phone Post 3.0

Elias Cepeda - The purpose of the article was not to elicit sympathy. It was simply a little reflection Phone Post 3.0

Well done.