I dont think I've ever seen GSP fake a shot

Can anybody recall ever seeing him fake a shot for a takedown? I'm not debating whether he should or not because he obviously knows what he's doing. I just find it unusual that somebody who has a wrestling base (yes, what is base is is debatable) doesnt mix fake shots in with his striking. Koscheck, Fitch, Hendricks, Ellenberger et al have all used fake shots to set up punches as far as I can remember. I havent seen every GSP fight ever so I could be wrong, but I just noticed from the fights that I have seen I cant remember him doing it. You would think that since everybody he's fought within the last few years knew he wanted to take them down that he might mix in some fake shots to keep them off balance and keep them from fully committing with combo's.

Any GSP fans that can answer this? Phone Post

I think he did it once or twice vs. Penn II. There were a couple of times where he moved forward low like he was going to shoot, then he fires that crazy stiff jab.

Other than that, I can't recall.

there isn't anything fake about GSP except for his accent. he's really mexican

I think people are wary of the takedown regardless when they face him.

I don't recall seeing it either. It would be a good way to try and get a finish.

Breezah'sPowerBottom - 

Can anybody recall ever seeing him fake a shot for a takedown? I'm not debating whether he should or not because he obviously knows what he's doing. I just find it unusual that somebody who has a wrestling base (yes, what is base is is debatable) doesnt mix fake shots in with his striking. Koscheck, Fitch, Hendricks, Ellenberger et al have all used fake shots to set up punches as far as I can remember. I havent seen every GSP fight ever so I could be wrong, but I just noticed from the fights that I have seen I cant remember him doing it. You would think that since everybody he's fought within the last few years knew he wanted to take them down that he might mix in some fake shots to keep them off balance and keep them from fully committing with combo's.

I know it's not exactly what you're talking about, but here he fakes a punch to a takedown.

Good point, I was saying the exact same thing when I watched. He could use the fake to set up the upper-cut, Uriah Faber style.

MiloTheDog - Good point, I was saying the exact same thing when I watched. He could use the fake to set up the upper-cut, Uriah Faber style.

Or an overhand, but yeah same idea Phone Post

Good point, OP. Such a useful tool that I love to utilize personally. Can't believe I've never noticed that one of the most strategically sound fighters in the sport doesn't employ this technique. Guys are so worried about the takedown, they would have their thumbs in their belt loops when the punch comes.

Very observant.

Oh, and voted up for what it's worth.