I dont understand TJ Grant..

just heard his interview on mma hour and he talks about looking after his family and not having any set plan... he left the sport in his prime. Hes been gone a very long time even for a concussion. Meanwhile the clock is ticking, every year hes getting slower, and he was so close to making that bigger money he says he needs (more than working at a mine thats for sure). He was murking top guys in impressive fashion, it was unbelievable. I just dont get it.

whats even more strange is he got the concussion from rolling jiu jitsu. Thats really uncommon thing to happen.

So many things about this man's story seems odd.

This is from a interview in may:

To be honest I haven't really worked a regular job since maybe 2005. Basically, I've gotta make a living. When you're injured it's one of those sports where you can live off what you made for a little bit but we don't make that much money so you have to go on to other things. I'm just taking care of myself and my family as best I can right now. I gave returning to fighting a real shot as far as living off of money I made, appearances and stuff, but it's a fighting sport. It's all about, ‘What have you done for me lately?' In my opinion I'm not done fighting. I feel 100-percent healthy. It's just there's a little bit of hesitation as far as returning to competition. In my heart I want to do it but I'm trying to be smart. I want to make the best decisions I can and make some money while doing it. When you've been through what I've been through you have to really take your time and come up with a battle plan. I also know that, in fighting, there are no guarantees. I have a life to live, I have a mortgage to pay, I have bills. Do I stop working, live off my credit in order to fight when I could get injured? There's a big risk-reward thing. I'm not ruling it out. I definitely love fighting. I want to do it but why not take a little break and let the rest of the world catch up (laughs)?"

Head injuries are fucking scary. If it was a torn ACL and his worst case scenario was re-injuring it and having a bad knee for the rest of his life I think he'd be back in there already, but if the risk is permanent brain damage and not being able to take care of his family going forward perhaps he's doing what is best.

You can make a living with a bum leg or jacked up shoulder but brain trauma is no joke. You can't ever unring that bell. Phone Post 3.0

I don't get the question. Guy has serious concussion issues. Some people have symptoms for years.

MolsonMuscles - Head injuries are fucking scary. If it was a torn ACL and his worst case scenario was re-injuring it and having a bad knee for the rest of his life I think he'd be back in there already, but if the risk is permanent brain damage and not being able to take care of his family going forward perhaps he's doing what is best.

You can make a living with a bum leg or jacked up shoulder but brain trauma is no joke. You can't ever unring that bell. Phone Post 3.0
^ it's that simple really.. He's not just looking at financial support of his family but also being able to raise them correctly. Phone Post 3.0

Some people can come back from several concussions and some people it only takes one and they'll feel the effects immediately. I doubt it was the first concussion Grant has ever had, but you never know which one could be your last.

He wouldn't be coming back to have tea party. He would be coming back to get his head beat in for 6-8 weeks in camp, only to have a guy try and take his head off. I think for the sake of his family and future, playing this one on the safe side is probably the way to go.

Baddest mofo on the coal mine Phone Post 3.0

Genghis_Khan - just heard his interview on mma hour and he talks about looking after his family and not having any set plan... he left the sport in his prime. Hes been gone a very long time even for a concussion. Meanwhile the clock is ticking, every year hes getting slower, and he was so close to making that bigger money he says he needs (more than working at a mine thats for sure). He was murking top guys in impressive fashion, it was unbelievable. I just dont get it.

whats even more strange is he got the concussion from rolling jiu jitsu. Thats really uncommon thing to happen.

So what are you saying? You realize not every concussion heals. You can't fuck with head injuries Phone Post 3.0

Phil999 - I don't get the question. Guy has serious concussion issues. Some people have symptoms for years.
Op is being a douche basically. Phone Post 3.0

If I had cuncussive symptoms for more than a year I'd probably stop fighting too Phone Post 3.0

Never thought of that before

Quit your job to train for a big fight , live off of cash advances on your credit card and then your opponent gets injured and the fights off, and then what

MolsonMuscles - Head injuries are fucking scary. If it was a torn ACL and his worst case scenario was re-injuring it and having a bad knee for the rest of his life I think he'd be back in there already, but if the risk is permanent brain damage and not being able to take care of his family going forward perhaps he's doing what is best.

It is a risk all fighters take. And the more concussions you suffer the worse your long term prognosis. I can't blame any fighter for coming to the conclusion that it is not worth the long term health risks for him. Phone Post 3.0

Wasn't he having really bad vertigo? Phone Post 3.0

He said his concussion has healed and its in the past. Right now it's about not wanting to make any sacrifices to go back to fighting. During the time he was dealing with concussion symptoms, he was around his little child and didn't get to appreciate that time as he would have liked to. Right now he is putting his family first. Makes 100% sense to me. It's unfortunate that his problems occurred when they did, but I'll never put a man down who is more interested in loving/being present for his family.

He will most likely fight again. Just not right now. Phone Post 3.0

Stories like these are why some people are in favour of a fighter's union.

As said earlier concussions affect everyone differently. I work with a guy who hit his head on the ice playing rec hockey (helmet on) and he was housebound for a year having the lights on gave him a massive headache and watching tv made him puke. This is a one time concussion for a non-athlete let alone a professional fighter who takes shots to the head to earn a living. Phone Post 3.0

Genghis_Khan - just heard his interview on mma hour and he talks about looking after his family and not having any set plan... he left the sport in his prime. Hes been gone a very long time even for a concussion. Meanwhile the clock is ticking, every year hes getting slower, and he was so close to making that bigger money he says he needs (more than working at a mine thats for sure). He was murking top guys in impressive fashion, it was unbelievable. I just dont get it.

A BJJ rolling concussion ended Jeff Joslin's career. He had vertigo for a few years and was all but bed ridden for a while. The brain isn't to be trifled with.

Sex Chicken - As said earlier concussions affect everyone differently. I work with a guy who hit his head on the ice playing rec hockey (helmet on) and he was housebound for a year having the lights on gave him a massive headache and watching tv made him puke. This is a one time concussion for a non-athlete let alone a professional fighter who takes shots to the head to earn a living. Phone Post 3.0
Exactly. Sid Crosby missed a TON of time due to a concussion. People were beginning to question if he'd come back. As someone who has suffered a couple I'm glad they were very mild when I hear these horror stories. Traumatic brain injuries are nothing to fuck with. Phone Post 3.0