I don't work out intensely anymore: think it's...

...counter-productive to longevity. However, I do practice BJJ and get a good sweat going, but nothing like what I used to do before.

For example, I used to run 7 plus mile within one hour. Or I'd run 10 consecutive sprints.

No more. It breaks down the body unnecessarily. I have completely revamped my workouts, which mostly consist of Yoga, power walking with my dog, and light BJJ sparring. Phone Post 3.0

Cool. Phone Post 3.0

Do you also suck dick Phone Post 3.0

My cousin is an ultra runner. Sponsored by a foot wear company that will pay for him to race all over the world. He is 31 and his body is breaking down and he is starting to experience some health issues. He's hoping he can figure it out so he can still race. Phone Post 3.0

bobby14 - Do you also suck dick Phone Post 3.0
No. I leave that up to intense guys like you. [squeezes his cheek] Phone Post 3.0

You're probably right, but that doesn't mean you have to go the extreme opposite. Aerobic development is good, but there is a useful threshold of intensity. Volume is a primary factor for aerobic energy development as well, it just needs to be balanced with recovery.

vermonter - You're probably right, but that doesn't mean you have to go the extreme opposite. Aerobic development is good, but there is a useful threshold of intensity. Volume is a primary factor for aerobic energy development as well, it just needs to be balanced with recovery.
I hear you, but I'm starting to believe what my exercise physiology professor once said to us: "It doesn't matter if you ran for an hour or walked for an hour. The health benefit is the same." Phone Post 3.0

But do you tumble? Phone Post 3.0

Ps, don't fool yourself into thinking that just because its how hippies or old ladies work out that it's healthy for you. Walking becomes less efficient than running at a certain pace, and "power walking" often involves unnecessarily intense heel strikes with a straight knee. A light jog is probably healthier for you AND more productive, and has a lower RPE as well.

Also, physical therapists make a lot of money from misguided yoga practitioners due to chronic injuries stemming from excessive stretching and flexibility. Further, therapeutic outcomes for under stretched people are significantly better than that of overstretched people.

FRAT version: your concept of healthy, longevity-promoting exercise is coming from shitty sources.

Kostakio - 
vermonter - You're probably right, but that doesn't mean you have to go the extreme opposite. Aerobic development is good, but there is a useful threshold of intensity. Volume is a primary factor for aerobic energy development as well, it just needs to be balanced with recovery.
I hear you, but I'm starting to believe what my exercise physiology professor once said to us: "It doesn't matter if you ran for an hour or walked for an hour. The health benefit is the same." Phone Post 3.0

That would be inaccurate. Although he probably used distance as a metric rather than time which would be closer to the truth. The RPE of walking is higher at suitable speeds for cardiovascular development, and the wear and tear is probably higher too. I like it as an adjunct to jogging for combat athletes but not as a primary mode of exercise and not a "power" version.

^please note the edit in my last sentence

Kostakio - 

Your exercise phy professor is quite the idiot.

Duly noted, fren. Phone Post 3.0

Berserker -
Kostakio - 

Perhaps, but he was highly regarded at the time. I thought like you also, but as I have gotten older, I'm thinking there may be more to it. Phone Post 3.0

Berserker - 
Kostakio - 

I'm guessing kostakio just misremembered what was said. It is common to say the walking and running burn a similar number of calories over a given distance and that is more or less true. He might have interpreted that as a similar health benefit and may have just gotten the time bit wrong.

I masturbate furiously though

vermonter -
Berserker - 
Kostakio - 

I'm guessing kostakio just misremembered what was said. It is common to say the walking and running burn a similar number of calories over a given distance and that is more or less true. He might have interpreted that as a similar health benefit and may have just gotten the time bit wrong.
Thanks. Could be.

But I believe he was referring to METS and not overall calories burned. I wish I could ask him now. haha Phone Post 3.0

power walking huh

okay

People will shit on you Kos, but I've wondered the same thing about longevity and if I will continue to do HIIT stuff after I retire from my job.

If you think about it, sudden heart rate spikes are what kills guys a lot of the time once they are over 40 or 50. Phone Post 3.0

So you went from Bro to filthy hippy? Phone Post 3.0