I guess Joe Slick died

Old school dude. Rip

1 Like

Rip Joe slick. I hung around him a few times at different gyms in Vegas. Didn’t really know him but he came across as a nice guy. My condolences to those affected.

2 Likes

RIP. I met Joe a few times in the early 2000s. He may have been unofficially retired then…

Nice, quiet guy and had zero professional fighter personality traits.

Anybody know what happened? The dude couldn’t have been older than 45 or so.

1 Like

Sad…met him at a few old school events here in Iowa. He was a great fighter. I’ve been looking up guys that I used to know from the old days and saw his obituary online. RIP Joe

1 Like

Just saw this, and it’s very sad. Joe was one of the original MFS pros. He had a short career before the sport grew in popularity, so he doesn’t have the same name recognition. But he competed in the UFC. He was a super nice guy, and a tough, skilled, talented fighter. He was also great to train with, he would be patient and help or train with anybody, regardless of skill level, or if it was a pro, amateur, someone who trained as a hobby. He treated everyone with the same patience, kindness, and respect. I’m very sad right now.

6 Likes

Oh man. I trained with Joe for awhile at Miletich’s and he cornered me a couple times. What a great guy. I lost touch with him over the years. RIP man.

3 Likes

Damn, just saw this. RIP to one of the OG’s from the Extreme Challenge.

1 Like
2 Likes

Joe Slick was responsible for ending the reign of terror that was Jason Delucia. It may sound silly, but at the time Jason was on a major winning streak in Pancrase before facing Joe Slick in the UFC. Slick took him down, Jason landed wrong, and he was never the same after that.

3 Likes

RIP

someone needs to update his Wikipedia

The thing that I wish I could express to people who started training (or following the sport) in the more recent years since the sport has grown, is what that time was like. That fight vs Minowa was UFC 25, in the year 2000, where Tito fought Wanderlei Silva. Someone on here posted recently that there are 700 fighters currently under contract to the UFC. This is back when you could pretty much name all the fighters, events were much less frequent, and you knew all the fighters on the cards. Kind of like how you could name most or all of the American BJJ black belts at the time. So Joe having been in the UFC was a big deal.

I don’t want to mention other names, and keep this about Joe, but for example, Matt Hughes only had 1 UFC fight then. Jens had not yet been in the UFC. I don’t know why Joe stopped fighting, he was in his early 20s I believe. But my point is that, Joe was before those guys, and the fact that he had been in the UFC was a big deal, and he was just so humble and kind. No ego or attitude at all. I was brand new, I would go in the gym to train, do different drills or whatever, switch partners, wow now I’m working with a guy who had been in the UFC. And he would just be so patient, allow me to work, offer pointers on techniques etc. Never acted like I was beneath him, or wasting his time. He treated everyone like that. And hold his own vs all the pros who became better known. He was a big part of the early MFS gym.

6 Likes

Joe was a really good guy. Not sure what else I can say about him.

For anyone who didn’t know who Joe was, he is in the white shirt, right end of 2nd row with the blond hair and black goatee.

1 Like

Pat always looks like he has a mouthpiece in.

Most of the pancrase fights were fake. Ken shamrock gives details in his book which should be titled:

“Tales from a narcissistic crazy asshole”

1 Like