I had Jury duty today. Defendant...poor bastard.

So in the great state of MD you have jury duty for a whole month. Sucks I know. Because of this you see alot of people who have hit a rough spot in life.

I cant talk about the details of the case really. But ill say it was a minor crime to where he can face jail time. Young kid who fucked up.

We were in the process of selecting the 12 juror and 1 extra juror for the case. So my whole group was in there. Bout 30+ of us.

The second we all walk in to see the defendant and hear the details of the case, one jurors in front of me whispered "hes guilty" to another juror before we even heard the details of the case. All he did was see the Defendant as we walked into the court room. The other juror then nodded and said "yeah Im sure of it".

During the selection process the Judge asked us a few questions about the case and ourselves as a person to better pick the best juror's for the case.

I didnt get picked because I knew the arresting officers and only had plesent interactions with them.

But when asked "will you as jurors come to this court with pre-existing notions of guilt or innocents of the defendant prior to the court proceedings?" these two juror didnt step up and say so.

I was never presented a chance to tell the judge that jurors just lied under oath. I asked one of the officers if he could tell the judge and he declined.

When the process was done, the first juror who said "hes guilty" did end up selected. I felt bad that this happened and that the court officer would not bring my concern to the judges attention.

I feel guilt that I didnt do more really.

I only hope that the guy gets a fair trial and that this juror was only fucking around when he said that. But still thats not someting to joke about. A convincing person can sway the opinions of other easy in that setting.

Ive never actually met anyone who got called to jury duty and went....

fade2007 - Ive never actually met anyone who got called to jury duty and went....

Well in Maryland if you dont show up, they arrest you. We dont play with that.

A guy just got arrested today from my group for not showing 2 days in a row.

Good Ol US of A. Guilty until proven innocent. 

Unfortunately, juries are made up of people too stupid to get out of jury duty.

I hear stuff like this all the time, I hope I never have to depend on a jury. I was on a federal jury and one juror disagreed with us, forced us into a hung jury, the system is far from perfect. The corruption, the idiot juries. I just really hope I never have to depend on one

Plus they don't educate people about jury nullification

I just had jury duty a month ago. What a shit show that was. 

Maybe they were able to see something you couldn't?

Seriously. If you feel it's your civic duty to do jury duty, then do it. But most people, well, people that have lives to lead, can easily get out of jury duty

Canooke - Maybe they were able to see something you couldn"t?

From what? We just walked in the door. And I mean litrally just walked into the door.

Judge asked everyone if we knew the defendant or heard prior information about the trial and we all said no.

So they either lied on that aswell or all the went off of was the looks of the kid.

walbjj - Seriously. If you feel it's your civic duty to do jury duty, then do it. But most people, well, people that have lives to lead, can easily get out of jury duty

Yeah, you are given chances to excuse yourself but that requires you to answer questions.

You cant just say "ahh I dont want to do this...im out" You have to have a legit reason.

I was honest. I knew the two arresting officers and the State's and defense attorney determined that I was not a suitable juror. They are the ones who make that call. Not me.

Stop acting like a pussy, either speak up or shut up. You know he's guilty, right?

write an anonymous letter they will redo the selection maybe? send a copy to the defense lawyer too cc him/her

jpm995 -

Stop acting like a pussy, either speak up or shut up. You know he's guilty, right?

I did, I went through the proper channels to bring the matter to the judge. The court Officer would not allow it. What more would you have done?

BigEyedFish -

write an anonymous letter they will redo the selection maybe? send a copy to the defense lawyer too cc him/her

Never thought of that. But the issue is, the trial was later that day. I was already excused from the courthouse. 

Do you have to show up to the courthouse every morning for the entire month?

BruteDion -
Canooke - Maybe they were able to see something you couldn"t?

From what? We just walked in the door. And I mean litrally just walked into the door.

Judge asked everyone if we knew the defendant or heard prior information about the trial and we all said no.

So they either lied on that aswell or all the went off of was the looks of the kid.

Maybe when they made eye contact with him he looked down?

John Dougherty - Do you have to show up to the courthouse every morning for the entire month?

No, not everyday. But it is possible.

Everynight they make a recording on the court hotline number and you listen for your number. If your number is called you show up the next day at 8:30 AM is really is a pain. This is mandatory. No show and they can and will arrest you.

Even if you do sit for a trial, there is a chance you will be needed again. I have had it 3 days since Feb 1st.