I had no idea Freddie Mercury

Wasn’t a white guy.  Just watched Bohemian Rhapsody and was confused when they were showing this Indian kid and his singing chops.  I thought he was going to be replaced by Freddie Mercury and spent part of the movie thinking what a raw deal this Indian kid was getting.  

He is the whitest east Indian ever lol

Was this commonly known and I’m the only person who didn’t know this?  My wife knew this but weirdly she never knew he was gay.  

He wasn't pure Indian, he was Parsi, who are an ethnic community within India - They're Persians who migrated to India in the Middle Ages.

His features are actually super Persian, especially with the mustache.

Loved the movie. 

TequilaYuen - He wasn't pure Indian, he was Parsi, who are an ethnic community within India - They're Persians who migrated to India in the Middle Ages.

His features are actually super Persian, especially with the mustache.

Meaning hes caucasian, aka: from a genetic line west of the Caucasus mountains.  Not that it matters much.

I didn’t know either. 

A gay Indian...no wonder they chose Queen of all the bands to make a movie for.

I loved the movie as well.  I’m not the biggest Queen fan. I enjoy them kind of the same way I enjoy Journey.  The movie got me to see them in a whole new light and understand better why people love them.  The Live Aid scene was just pure genius.  

I was just thoroughly confused for a while.  I was sitting there thinking “I thought this was a Freddie Mercury biopic.  Why is his other kid also named Freddie.  Holy shit, does Mercury swoop in and steal this kid’s job and replace him and they name him Freddie thinking no one will notice!?!”

nottheface - 

Was this commonly known and I’m the only person who didn’t know this?  My wife knew this but weirdly she never knew he was gay.  

Depends. I don't think it was common knowledge in Midwestern small town America, if that's what you mean. But 30% of Americans can't even find China on a map, so what can you expect.

I think it was more widely known in England, he was asked about it in interviews. But no one really cared. Immigration and ethnicity were not the hot button issues in the 1970s like they are now.

1 Like

nottheface -

I loved the movie as well.  I’m not the biggest Queen fan. I enjoy them kind of the same way I enjoy Journey.  The movie got me to see them in a whole new light and understand better why people love them.  The Live Aid scene was just pure genius.  

I was just thoroughly confused for a while.  I was sitting there thinking “I thought this was a Freddie Mercury biopic.  Why is his other kid also named Freddie.  Holy shit, does Mercury swoop in and steal this kid’s job and replace him and they name him Freddie thinking no one will notice!?!”

Not the brightest spark are you. I feel sorry for your mother. 

PoiuPoiu -

were mercurys teeth really as bad as shown ?

Oh yeah.

Mike Lady -

People thought Freddy Mercury was white?

Motherfucker looked like Borat after spending a month in Aruba.

I mean, look at this interview. He looks like a guy who runs a lamb and rice joint.

TequilaYuen -
PoiuPoiu -

were mercurys teeth really as bad as shown ?

Oh yeah.

I just realized how little Rami Malik looks like Freddie Mercury, but he does such a good job channeling him that you don’t really notice.   

1 Like

TequilaYuen -
Mike Lady -

I mean, look at this interview. He looks like a guy who runs a lamb and rice joint.

I just thought he had a tan.  It was the 70’s.  Everyone was over tanned and sporting chest hair.  

Mike Lady -
nottheface -
TequilaYuen -
Mike Lady -

I just thought he had a tan.  It was the 70’s.  Everyone was over tanned and sporting chest hair.  

There wasn't a man born north of Sicily who could grow a mustache like that in the 70's.

Burt Reynolds family left the continent a long time ago.

Wait, Burt Reynolds wasn’t a white guy either?!?

MankTabbott - 
nottheface -

Yep. It's like listening to a stoner talk.

Lazarus -
MankTabbott - 
nottheface -

Yep. It's like listening to a stoner talk.

I’m fairly drunk.  Go fuck yourself. 

God damn brownies are taking our white queers now too! - op

1 Like

Holy shit I never knew this. And I dated a Punjabi broad from London for 3 years.

I always thought he was a wog. Greek or Spain perhaps.