I had the privilege today

Today I had one of the greatest privileges a pastor can have. I did a dedication of a baby. her parents,grandparents,aunts and uncles were all present. i read Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and anointed her head with oil. Then the parents took vows and then had the congregation take vows.

yours in Christ

sherm

It's probably one of the greatest things a pastor can take part in, to see a mother and father dedicate themselves to raising a child in a healthy and loving home, and to raise that child to be a good Christian.

yours in Christ

sherm

congrats on a first sherm....many more to follow I hope.

Very fun, I love baby dedications. I always make the congregation make an oath to support the parents, and be good examples to the child also :)

incase you gave a shit about what I do

the rev

Contrary to common christian belief A child can be raised in a healthy loving home with out all the jesus/god garbage. But good for them for wanting to do right by their child i respect that.

Glad to see your encouraging word's to Sherm :)

A child is better off with the Jesus/God "garbage" than without, and though a child could be raised just fine...they are better off with it than without.

A child is better off with the Jesus/God "garbage" than without, and though a child could be raised just fine...they are better off with it than without. What kind of data do you have to back that statement up Joshua?

Well I dont have imperical data to back it up, but I would say that MOST christians/jews/muslims/buddhists whatever, have a core set of morals that come from thier religious belief, these morals are passed down because they are so ingrained into the believer that its just natural for them to pass these belief's to the children. These beliefs have to do with of course, what happens when you die, but also how to deal with people in business, how to handle personal relationships, how to admit you've made a mistake and move on to not do it again, in short, a good moral framework from which the child can develop into a good person...though I would say that most non religious people obviously have morals, I think thier ability to pass them to thier children is limited, being that many non religious folks don't even view morality as being anything objective at all....

My .02

But if you want data, I did hear a good piece of information recently. Take a look at the number of people raised in religious jewish homes....they have the lowest instances of criminal offenses that end up with being sent to prison than any other religious group. Those raised in devout christian homes also seem to be MUCH less likely to end up in prison. I don't have a link for the study now, but if you'd like I can look for it tonight when I go home.

It's my personal beief that you don't have to be religious to pass on those morals ect..to your children. I would love to tell my children that there was a superhappyfun place you go when you die, but i'd feel as though i were lying to them and I just can't do that.

I also disagree greatly with alot of religious (specificly chistian) teachings.

well you have to do what you have to do man, no one can make those decisions for you, but I dont think christianity has much in it that is going to make your children worse off...for me, its made me into a better, more trustworthy person, my life is more fufilled, I have a sense of Joy that I never knew before, and basically everything in me confirms this is true.

which Christian teachings do you strongly disagree with? Just curious, if you dont wanna get into it, I understand.

I will but i have to leave for a couple hours i'll post my answers to that question when I get back.

mathew having fun with the new forum

the rev

Matt please stop trolling :)

ROGUE MOD, BAN!

Also, I would suggest that ALL good comes from God alone and that while non-christians can/may live a good lifestyle, they are merely mimicking goodness unless they are connected to the source. BTW, christians often do this as well.

Props PastorSherm!

matthewafa, If you want to delete my post be my guest. Also if you want me not to post here i wont. Flexing your muscles like that does not impress me at all, I do feel that the teachings of the bible are mostly garbage and if i'm not alowed to give my oppinion ,I guess there is no reason for me to post here. If open opinions are not welcome here I won't post here any longer, let me know?

P.S. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all held the same beliefs?

"Also, I would suggest that ALL good comes from God alone and that while non-christians can/may live a good lifestyle, they are merely mimicking goodness unless they are connected to the source. BTW, christians often do this as well."

Well, I would like to suggest that very little good comes from god, and many non-christians do live a good lifestyle, and are mocking noone!

And to suggest that god is the only source of good is very narrow minded and extremly offensive!

matthewafa,

In no way was I trolling anyone, I again was stating my opinion, I wasn't directing my post at a certain person , I just stated how i feel, I am in noway sorry for that.

I am sure there are thousands of christian forums you could go to where the people agree with you and they can tell you everything you want to hear. I was under the impression this was an open forum to discuss religions of all nature, people say things on here everyday I don't agree with, And put it in a much more offensive context than i did.

Thank-you - B.C.