I Hate/Like Throws

I really like doing certain throws, but when I practice old and new ones, I can't seem to commit myself to them, which in returns turns the throw into crap!

I did nothing but throws last night at practice and got frustrated with myself cause I couldnt get it down. I would get it a couple times then mess it up again. I dont get it. Then when I finally get the hang of it and try it in comp. I get scared that it's not going to work and I think about it too much. More than half of the time, I then wont try it at all. WTF! How can I get better at understanding them. I know how to do them, but just cant. I have good days and bad days with my throws. And most of them turn into bad days and leave me frustrated at the end of the night.

You sound like everyone else, I dont think it is just you...practice is the only thing that will help..The more you do em the more second nature they become..Of course with me, that only applies to about three throws, the rest I completely suck at and fuck up, like you mentioned. Even though I can dem them, I cant do them with any type of regularity when it matters..

LOL that was a tounge twister in a half!

I think the problem with just comstintly doing them over and over again is trying to frind someone that is willing to get thrown over and over agian and pretty much be your dummy. And that also has the will power to be there as long as you can stay on the mat. When I get involved in something fighting wise and Im learning a lot and my mind set is right there, I dont want to leave. I can be on the mats for HOURS. This becomes a problems ....... training partners that know what their doing and that are decated to YOUR training. I think I will ask for one for next christmas......

new throws = uchikomi!!! get the speed, tai sabaki, kuzushi down, so that you won't choke up in randori.

happens to me all the time. i'll have a throw in my mind but either the opporitunity passes by or I hesitate and miss it, or I'm nervouse and telegraph my intentions..

practice..

LK-

That's a tough question, but hopefully I might be able to give you a few ideas (a bit long winded)....

A couple of things to keep in mind. Don't try to force a throw -- concentrate on throws that are most natural for your body type. If you get frustrated, move on to something else for a while. Your favorite throw may not necessarily be your most successful tournament throw.

Being confident with your throw will help you commit your body to it. This process might help out for making your throws a bit stronger...

1. Lots of uchikomi to tighten up your technique. Correct posture and techinique is important here. Improper technique is hard to correct once it is burned in.
2. Get a crash pad and throw people with full committment. The crashpad will allow you to really do the throw fully and your uke(s) will be able to get up and take the fall many more times than if you were to throw them straight on the tatami. Concentrate on finishing the throw (twisting your body, turning your head in the direction of the throw, rolling throw on the throw).
3. Randori. Try your throw many times from different angles and directions. Don't worry about getting slammed trying a technique in practice. Have somebody watch what you're doing or better yet, get it on video.
4. What went right and wrong? Adjust your technique if you need to. You might need a setup or different grip or ask somebody that is good at the technique you're trying.
5. If you have access to other dojos with people that you are not used to working with, it will also help.
6. start over at 1.

When it comes to competition, if you have to think about the technique too much it won't work. You'll most likely telegraph your actions and your timing will be off. You have to train the throw into your movements so that it is natural for your body. This just takes time. Getting a gripping advantage and position where your throw works is also key to having a successful throw in competition.

If you watch the best players you'll notice that they work very hard to get a gripping advantage, then they work for a position that allows them to execute their technique. Also, they don't stand still, because movement creates opportunity for throws.

Wow that's a lot to think about. I guess it's kind of like a golf swing...

Good luck
RB

Marie, RB is Jamie's better half.

people at all levels have problems just letting the throw happen. people at all levels become afraid to commit to the throw. when that happens you end-up feeling frozen and eventually you defeat yourself.

there are 3 drills i like doing to fix this.

power (3-man) uchikomi. somebody holds uki from behind, you come slamming into a throw as hard as possible and he lets you pick uke up, but not throw him over as you struggle to throw. this prepares your body to fight hard to finsh a throw.

something i call holding uchikomi. this is when you turn into an uchikomi, say seionage, pick uke up and then have him bend his knees so his feet do not touch the ground BUT NOT HOLD ON. you must holding him completly. then i bend backwards and tilt forwards again and move my feet around, move in cirlces, in all directions with uke's weight completly on me. this gives me the feeling of balance and hip/foot/body placement as well as helps develop sustained kuzushi.

the thrid is a drill we got from our israeli strength & conditioning coach-- Eitan Gelber. you lock into the throw, uke prepares to brace and counter. right then and there you both freeze. coach calls hajime and away you both go until somebody throws. combinations are fine, only after going for the original throw.

my only other suggestion is just o let the throw go. i mean, let it be free in your mind. what have you got to lose by attack it? nothing. getting countered doesnt matter. getting blocked doesnt matter. the only thing that ever matters is when you throw. ignore everything else-- just grip and attack and finish. no thought process, just let the throws happen.

-resnick

Marie, Remember that headlock throw (koshigaruma) Johnny Bouchard and I showed ya? You were really good at it. Line the dudes up and throw them one after the other onto a crash pad (they prob are not used to breakfalls), do a ton both left and right. Incorporate that into your workouts and that headlock will be badass before long.

TTT for later, and this will need to be archived for Resnick's tips.

"I think the problem with just comstintly doing them over and over again is trying to frind someone that is willing to get thrown over and over agian and pretty much be your dummy."

Yeah, I hear ya, especially because we do MMA..Most MMA guys have no desire what so ever to get thrown more than a couple times. Big blue is a good partner cause he never bitches or gets tired, but then it isnt the same really...Can help though..I know Walt is big on using Blue for uchikomi...The crash pad idea Ron brought up is a good one...Especially if it is big and fluffy, people wont mind so much landing on that...

Anyways, I can relate to all your points.

Josh

Thanks for the tips, I will deffenitly try them.

Walter

Yeah, the head and arm has been one of my throws that I like to do. Lately though when I fight taller people, I find myself going into the throw and them not moveing. I cant get them to bend with me cause their stronger and they just stand back up and it leaves me hanging and then my backs gets taken and down I go. Maybe I should try going around the hip more ....... but that dont hurt as much .........

Quincy

Thanks for understanding.

Marie

ttt

Marie,

Bigger, stronger opponents have to be moved, keep em moving, get em to follow ya, circle. You will see openings once you get used to it.

It is hard to really get a flow going with the throws because so many of the Detroit clubs are not strictly judo but rather a combo of things.

If you can get the necessary practice in you have the potential & ability to be a great throwster. I also feel you are a girl capable of developing effective pick-ups. It a shame Josh's seminar had to put off because the pickup throws would suit ya.

Walt,
you got mail.

-resnick

Yeah, I was planning on going to that seminar too!

Josh, those are really good drills. I cut and pasted them into a word doc. Hoping you could post more as time permits.

Judodog

ttt for that

Also if you could take a trip to K-zoo (south side dojo) sometime I bet Ron's (RonB@SSD) woman Jamie could help you alot. Not sure what their policy is there for visitors but everyone I talk to who has went has been better for it.

Hey Q,

You ALL are welcome at SSD to workout ANYTIME. Jamie is coming off of a pretty serious knee injury that's going to keep her out for about a year. She dislocated her patella. It was actually on the side of her leg. Damn it looked painful. Anyway she's out for a while. However, there's plenty of people here that would roll and take falls for Marie if she wants. It's a bit of a drive and the timing isn't the best, but we're starting our competitive training cycle again on tuesday. Our coach is Steve Smith an ex-Sambo dude that whoops us up pretty well. Tues and Thurs night 7:15-8:30. Open workout is on Sunday 1-4:00.

Marie, you might want to get in touch with Emily Wee. She could probably help you out a lot too.

Ron Angus is putting on a clinic at SSD on Jan 25th for any that are interested. http://www.judocalendar.com/judo/20040125angus.doc

RB

Wow..sorry to hear that...ouch!! a whole year aye?

I know Steve, he came up and trained with us at Severn's a few times, he has awesome leglocks!! I believe he was a multiple time national sambo champion...Severn told me that of all the people he rolled with back in the day, he respects Steve as one of the best...

Josh, Got your mail. I'll call ya sometime this weekend.