I Hate/Like Throws

Marie,

Are you talking gi or no gi?

Anyway, I agree it is a concern about giving up your bag if the headlock/koshigaruma/head-shoulder throw is not polished, fast and explosive. The "gravity headlock" is a great alternative because you do not commit your back but if successful you have a great takedown ending in great position. Grab one of the dudes at Gomez's and ask them to show ya it. Most experienced wrestlers will know it. Ask the two MFC dudes there to show ya.

Last Spring I came up with seven throws for Brad that I thought he could use in san shou wearing the type of boxing glove that they do. Basically, they are all predicated on the gravity throw principles. You can do a full hip headlock, ogoshi (full hip throw) and ouchi gari (big inside leg clip), ippon seoi (one arm shoulder), with basically only a left hand control handle (elbow tie). They involve lowering the hips and driving your lead knee to the mat. The dude will have to follow you down and over (or backward).

The ouchi in fact is similar to what World Judo Champ, Jim Pedro, uses in judo comps, only this is a no gi version: First you have to get the dude out of his low power stance, stay square keeping legs and hips low. Get a r-overhook and an l-underhook, shoot simutaneously reaping your r-leg inside his l-ankle coming in strong with hips, drop you r-knee to mat directlly behind his l-foot, drop your r-hand to assist blocking his ankle, drive him down. You probably will end up in his guard most times but you get the takedown/throw.

Did it make any sense? I would probably have to demonsotrate it because the visualization must be a bitch. Then reps, reps.

Damn, I can't wait until I can train back with you guys!

Kai, just came back from the dojo. We have some new guys with a lot of potential. All seem like really good dudes. Working on throws today for sub grappling. Taught some little guy (12 yrs. old) named Tony that Q brought in some judo. Kid has potential written all over him.

Marie, Eons ago in Garcia's 2nd shiai he used a standing ude I taught him. It was one of Ishikawa's pet moves. Karo Parisyan used the same sequence in his UFC match. Did you watch it? You would be great at that move also.