I have a math degree but no job

There are a lot if openings for teachers here, but the pay sucks (Oklahoma). But the cost of living is low. Have you looked at teaching for adult-based colleges, at extended campus sites? Phone Post 3.0

Actuary. If that doesn't pan out consider engineering or comp sci. Yes it is more school but you are almost guaranteed a job at the end of it.

My cacalculus 1,2 and 4 teachers were all masters students close to graduation. They all were moderately to highly freaking the fuck out because they realized other than teaching or actuary work, there were no jobs out there that required their degree. College life has this sneaky way of insulating people from reality. As long as you are doing well in school you theoretically are building yourself towards a good career. Unfortunately with a lot of degrees this just isn't the reality in today's world. Good luck bro, I hope you are able to turn this into something cool.

what about government like the intel agencies? you probably have qualifications for fbi.

Have you thought of using your mathematical knowledge for evil? You could be a genius super villain criminal.

Norva/DC/MD. Lots of companies need math degrees. Phone Post 3.0

I'd like to give you a job taking my math General Ed classes online. Are you in L.A. white and about 6 foot? You just gotta show up and take the tests though... Phone Post 3.0

http://sites.nielsen.com/careers/opportunities/

Yea those nielsen guys that do the surveys.

All kinds of math/stat jobs

This just doesn't add up Phone Post 3.0

Simple enough. Thanks Phone Post 3.0

Fucking shit app Phone Post 3.0

My cousin got a well paying job as an actuary for an insurance company straight out of school with a math degree, I can't imagine how you haven't found a job in 5 years. Phone Post 3.0

JSMHP - I graduated in 09 with a BS in mathematics. I haven't been able to find a job in the field for five years. I was working for the army and coaching mma to pay the bills but after making the mistake of moving back to St. Louis my life has slowly fallen apart. I can live with the personal disappoint but not the professional. Since I have a little programming back ground my degree is best suited for DOD type analyst work but I have had zero luck finding anything. I am to the point where I am willing to go back to school but I want a game plan with a focused destination.

So I am looking into several things. Teaching....that's pretty straight forward but I already have the harder degree so I would like to look at everything before I cut my earning potential in half. Obviously I can go back to school to beef up my programming abilities but I want to cut through the bullshit and get some advice from someone in the industry saying hey you need to focus on these ten classes or whatever so I don't end up in college another three years and still no job.

I am willing to move anywhere and start entry level for the opportunity to learn and grow in a filed. It shouldn't be this hard. I don't get it. I keep hearing how valued my degree is but I don't see it.

I guess I am looking for some advice. What steps should I take with my education to make myself a better candidate?

You willing to relocate? Do you have a security clearance seeing how you worked for the Army? If not anything that would bar you from getting one?

Depending on the math you're into would depend on what you can do. Good with crazy algorithms? Read up on Synthetic Aperture RADAR and see if you'd be into that. You can always go the programing route too.

Check out companies like Saab Sensis, SRC, Lockhead, Et al.

It's a long shot but see if you can find a company to train you in their software and send you out as a traveling consultant.

https://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?c=qnF9VfwQ&cs=9k4bVfwe&page=Job%20Description&j=oYH3Yfwq

Phuckles -
ShakeR_ - Who said a math degree was highly valued?

Comp sci obvious jump from math degree and will open up many more doors. Concentrate on network security if you go this route - good white hats are incredibly hard to find. "Good" being the keyword. Being good enough at school to earn a degree counts for something but not much. Work on practical things that prove you add value. Phone Post 3.0

Why would you say math would be a good lead in to infosec? I suck ass at math and am headed toward infosec. 

What about Engineering OP? Look into jobs with oil companies and see what might be in your realm? They have loads of money. That or become a seasonal crab fisherman. 

He mentioned programming twice in his OP. I think Comp Sci when I hear programming. Imo, network security is the most sought after comp sci concentration atm.

Some who does not suck at math will secure networks better than you. Phone Post 3.0

CHILLITACO - That's really shit. Sorry to hear that bruv.

My only advice is if you are willing to start at the bottom and work your way up to do anything.

Start with what you think you will REALLY love. No matter how shitty the job. Because then you will enjoy work and probably become great at it and advance quickly because your passion is in it.

Good luck hope you find what you need. Phone Post 3.0
Best advice so far. Forgot to mention this.

Pursue your passion. The rest will work itself out. Phone Post 3.0

Hey buddy. I remember you and your dad from Vaghi's. Good guys!

Colorado Springs has a lot of DOD jobs and is a cool place to live. Check out usajobs.gov.

You need to get out of STL bro.

Besides becoming a math teacher what kind of job could you of hoped to get? Phone Post 3.0

Start applying to every school 6th grade and up. Start applying to all community colleges and other 4 year colleges. That's what I would do with a math degree. Phone Post 3.0

Phuckles -
ShakeR_ - Who said a math degree was highly valued?

Comp sci obvious jump from math degree and will open up many more doors. Concentrate on network security if you go this route - good white hats are incredibly hard to find. "Good" being the keyword. Being good enough at school to earn a degree counts for something but not much. Work on practical things that prove you add value. Phone Post 3.0

Why would you say math would be a good lead in to infosec? I suck ass at math and am headed toward infosec. 

What about Engineering OP? Look into jobs with oil companies and see what might be in your realm? They have loads of money. That or become a seasonal crab fisherman. 

Computer science degrees have a fair amount of overlap with math.

Ex at my school I only needed one math class to get my math minor because of the overlap.

op if you are a halfway decent programmer try to learn some system like ibm cognos and get certified. Nice starting salary there and plenty of jobs in the stl area (work with cognos guys at the place I have interned at the past two summers) Phone Post 3.0