i have never made fried rice

so learn me with your recipes!

Use day old rice. Real rice. Not minute rice. But it's gotta be day old. So the starches set back up in the rice. Otherwise it'll get clumpy. Phone Post 3.0

I just started making it as an easy dinner. I love basil, so I go for thai style basil fried rice. I'm also vegetarian, but you can obviously adjust to include whatever meat you want. It's super easy.

Works best with sort of dried out rice that's a day or two old. I use a big cast iron pan but a wok is probably more traditional. Heat up some oil. I find it's good to mostly use a base of canola or vegetable but I also add some sesame oil and hot chili oil right before adding the other ingredients. Those two both burn at a lower temp, so don't let them heat too long.

Start by adding your protein. I use tofu, which doesn't need to cook as long, but just cook whatever critter you're eating until it won't make you sick or whatever. Start sauteing onion, carrots, some garlic, little ginger, peppers, and broccoli or whatever. I actually prefer using the broccoli stems (peeled) as they hold up better but whatever. Don't let everything get too soft. Add a little soy sauce while you cook but don't add so much that it glazes over on everything.

Dump in a shit ton of thai sweet basil (at least a cup). I just rip it up by hand; even the big leaves will cook down to nothing, but if you let them fry a bit in the oil they will impart their flavor to everything else you add. Add a little more sesame & chili oils and then dump in your rice. Pour some shit on top of it. I use a mix of vegetarian fish sauce along with some sweet chili sauce and a little generic "stir fry sauce" (pretty much thickened soy sauce). Add diced thai chilis here if you like it spicy.

Turn everything over a bunch so everything mixes together well. Put a lid on it and let it cook for a minute; take your spatula, scrape everything up, press it down, and repeat. Keep adding basil throughout the process if you like it as much as me.

Put it on a nice looking place, garnish with some shredded purple cabbage, shredded carrots, and some well placed fresh basil and watch bitches swoon at what you just whipped up simply to use the leftovers.

^ recipe sounds pretty good, but I would make a little hole in the center of the rice near the very end and break an egg into it. Then, as it cooks, mix it into the rice. This is something a Vietnamese woman taught my wife to do years ago one night when we had her and her boyfriend over for dinner. 

BriggsSeekins - 

^ recipe sounds pretty good, but I would make a little hole in the center of the rice near the very end and break an egg into it. Then, as it cooks, mix it into the rice. This is something a Vietnamese woman taught my wife to do years ago one night when we had her and her boyfriend over for dinner. 

Yeah, this is a really good idea. My wife doesn't like eggs so I leave it out when I make it, but I think it's delicious mixed in. I've also seen done where they just drop an sunny side up egg on top and I'm sure that would be really good as well.

Rice, peanut oil or bacon grease, spam or ham cubed 1/4 inch pieces, kikkoman shoyu, beaten eggs

Coat a nonstick skillet or wok with a couple of tablespoons of oil. Heat on medium, and then add the beaten eggs, spreading to thinly coat the pan (like you are making an omelet). When the eggs are set and pretty cooked through, remove the pan from the heat and use your spatula to cut the eggs into ribbons. Remove the eggs to a plate. Add a little more oil, and heat over medium again. Throw in the ham or spam and heat through (for spam, give it a good browning). Remove to the same plate as the eggs. Add 3-4 tablespoons more of the oil, heat again over medium, and then add your rice. Using the spatula or a plastic spoon, press down on the rice as you bring the temp up on the pan. Add soy sauce to lightly coat the rice and continue to stir and press on the rice as you cook. As the rice is moistened by the soy sauce and oil, and you press and stir, it will separate. Add the eggs and meat back, and stir to distribute evenly. Turn off heat an enjoy (throw on some chopped scallions if you like).

There are tons of variations. Try with leftover steak or pork chops for the meat component. Throw in some frozen mixed vegetables at the end cooking. A delicious, pungent version is Filipino style garlic fried rice, which only uses garlic, salt, and oil. Phone Post 3.0

Death and Taxes - 

You should do a kickstarter

hahaha no idea why but this got me

garythekid - 
itswhitty - I just started making it as an easy dinner. I love basil, so I go for thai style basil fried rice. I'm also vegetarian, but you can obviously adjust to include whatever meat you want. It's super easy.

Works best with sort of dried out rice that's a day or two old. I use a big cast iron pan but a wok is probably more traditional. Heat up some oil. I find it's good to mostly use a base of canola or vegetable but I also add some sesame oil and hot chili oil right before adding the other ingredients. Those two both burn at a lower temp, so don't let them heat too long.

Start by adding your protein. I use tofu, which doesn't need to cook as long, but just cook whatever critter you're eating until it won't make you sick or whatever. Start sauteing onion, carrots, some garlic, little ginger, peppers, and broccoli or whatever. I actually prefer using the broccoli stems (peeled) as they hold up better but whatever. Don't let everything get too soft. Add a little soy sauce while you cook but don't add so much that it glazes over on everything.

Dump in a shit ton of thai sweet basil (at least a cup). I just rip it up by hand; even the big leaves will cook down to nothing, but if you let them fry a bit in the oil they will impart their flavor to everything else you add. Add a little more sesame & chili oils and then dump in your rice. Pour some shit on top of it. I use a mix of vegetarian fish sauce along with some sweet chili sauce and a little generic "stir fry sauce" (pretty much thickened soy sauce). Add diced thai chilis here if you like it spicy.

Turn everything over a bunch so everything mixes together well. Put a lid on it and let it cook for a minute; take your spatula, scrape everything up, press it down, and repeat. Keep adding basil throughout the process if you like it as much as me.

Put it on a nice looking place, garnish with some shredded purple cabbage, shredded carrots, and some well placed fresh basil and watch bitches swoon at what you just whipped up simply to use the leftovers.

I was thinking about texting this recipe to this girl I used to know out of the blue.  Waddaya think?

Be careful, she might post it to facebook and make everyone think you're some kind of fruity vegan.