I have shingles, AMA!

Right now I have my posts spread out among 3 different threads so I figured I would condense everything down into one. Shingles ends up affecting one in 3 people so there is a good chance some of you will have to deal with this at one point in your life!

For those of you that have not been following along.....

Last monday i started to get a weird sensation from my right hip, it sort of felt like a strained muscle, kind of a pinching, burning sensation.

By wednesday the entire hip area was tender, almost like I had hit it with something but I had no bruising.

thursday I started getting weird shooting pains in my lower stomach near that area.

Friday I started getting aches and pains in my right leg and arm, and my lower back started to get pain and burn.

saturday morning i started to get bumps in that area but you could barely see them.

sunday the pain started getting very bad, the bumps had gotten a littler more red but still did not seem like a big deal. I called an urgent care and described my symptoms and they told me to go to the ER.  At the ER it took the doctor about two minutes to figure out I had shingles. Turns out I have another patch starting on my lower back that I can not really see.

So they gave me some prescriptions and sent me on my way.

Yesterday morning it looked like this. 

this morning it looks like this.

so it is not going in the right direction!

the stuff on my back is getting bad too but I cant really get a picture of it, might ask the wife for help.

I have an appointment with my normal doctor this morning for him to double check the diagnosis and talk to me about pain med options because what they have me on is not cutting it. 

Had them about ten years ago and I’m sure I’ll end up with them again at some point. 

No fun. No. Fun. 

Look into lysene for herpes

Damn that sucks Jay. I had a friend that had it and she said it was horrible. Best of luck.

Are you 70 years old?

Thoughts with you dude, got mine at about 25, fuck me it's a hard couple of weeks.. In the bright side it's usually a one and done thing, and if you get it around your face it can potentially blind you, so thankful for small mercies and all that! 

Have you thanked the OG arm chair doctors like me for correctly diagnosing you?

The Destroyer88 - Have you thanked the OG arm chair doctors like me for correctly diagnosing you?

The number of MD’s on the OG is truly astounding. Maybe the only things more plentiful are law enforcement theorists, race relations scholars and guys who date 10’s. 

What does oatmeal taste like while eating with shingles? Could you make use a video so we can see if your technique has changed?

Space Herpes imo.

back from the doctor.

He confirmed that I have shingles. He also confirmed that I am not a risk to anyone so I can go back to work any time but said he expected to be at least a week or two before the pain was manageable enough for me to go back.

He also actually laughed out loud when I showed him my pain perscription. I was instructed to take 50mg of tramadol every 12 hours. He said that was insane and it should be more like 1 every 4 hours, and to take more than that if I needed. He also said it would not surprise him if the pain got worse and he needed to prescribe me something stronger. 

Hey man i had shingles. Honest to god what worked wonders was soaking a cotton pad in apple cider vinegar and taping it over the lesions and letting it sit. Instead of having to wait a week or two to go through the entire process it's sped everything up the lesions turned into blisters way faster it removed a ton of the pain and within a couple of days the blisters had already popped and began healing. Apple cider was a miracle for my shingles. Shingles was one of the worst experiences of my life

OGers dont need pain meds. Just rub some dirt on your shingles and have an O'doul's

Two weeks or work for shingles, what the fuck?! If you can OG you can go to work imo.

TFK_Kaneman82 - Two weeks or work for shingles, what the fuck?! If you can OG you can go to work imo.

Lol not sure if serious

ShanTheMan - OGers dont need pain meds. Just rub some dirt on your shingles and have an O'doul's

Drink some of this and then rub the rest on the affected spot.

Also, if you can pump some of it up your @$$ that helps too.

People associate shingles with the elderly but I know several people 45-55 that have had it recently. I even asked my doctor yesterday about vaccinating me and he said I wasn't old enough. Insurance won't pay for the vaccine until youre over 65 

Hope you feel better soon!

Passive Jay -

back from the doctor.

He confirmed that I have shingles. He also confirmed that I am not a risk to anyone so I can go back to work any time but said he expected to be at least a week or two before the pain was manageable enough for me to go back.

He also actually laughed out loud when I showed him my pain perscription. I was instructed to take 50mg of tramadol every 12 hours. He said that was insane and it should be more like 1 every 4 hours, and to take more than that if I needed. He also said it would not surprise him if the pain got worse and he needed to prescribe me something stronger. 

Doc sounds sketchy

Region Rat - Damn that sucks Jay. I had a friend that had it and she said it was horrible. Best of luck.
Thank you!

GeorgeScoresPoints - Hey man i had shingles. Honest to god what worked wonders was soaking a cotton pad in apple cider vinegar and taping it over the lesions and letting it sit. Instead of having to wait a week or two to go through the entire process it's sped everything up the lesions turned into blisters way faster it removed a ton of the pain and within a couple of days the blisters had already popped and began healing. Apple cider was a miracle for my shingles. Shingles was one of the worst experiences of my life

Did you have shingles multiple times? Is that how you know the vinegar shortened the duration?