I hope more fighters keep testing positive

I find this hilarious, how surprised the naive people act, the fake outrage, the press conferences and lies, the petitions, the ridiculous "solutions," people thinking anyone actually wants a clean sport in the first place. Lifetime bans? Lol.

I want something to change. Obviously you can't clean up the sport. Hopefully people start leaving to fight in Asia again. That's where the best mma was and that's where it should stay until America gets its act together. Now one fc has the best ruleset also. Give me roided fighters with knees and kicks on the ground please.

You can keep all your rules and regulations here. Free market ftw. Get the government out of mma. Phone Post 3.0

Instead of pre fight weigh-ins, have pre fight injections, so everyone is on a level playing field.

Now we're thinking Phone Post 3.0

muaythai1622 - 

Instead of pre fight weigh-ins, have pre fight injections, so everyone is on a level playing field.

Rogan at pre-fight injection - "The champ's chemist is a KILLER, and I mean literally. He accidentally euthanized a dozen goes before he got his formula down. After the champ has that viscous fluid massaged into his ass, he may be the TOP POUND FOR POUND FIGHTER IN THE SPORT."

C'mon. Bring back pride! Phone Post 3.0

Its like people being surprised that Hulk Hogan was on steroids.

Totally agree, AE

This steroid scandal could be the best thing to happen to MMA.

Imagine all the greats going to Japan to fight again. Juiced to the hills, epic match-making, LESS INJURIES. Phone Post 3.0

i would be fine with peds if it said on the contract for both fighters to use steroids/test/diuretic. anything for both fighters to be on a potential even playing field just like pride contracts. i prefer the current contracts for a sport

EckY -

Hulk Hogan was on steroids!!?? Phone Post 3.0

The Sultan - 
EckY -

no steriods for the Hulkster

saying your prayers and taking your vitamins.

peds is a world business, hope that people will get it now!

muaythai1622 -
The Sultan - 
EckY -

no steriods for the Hulkster

saying your prayers and taking your vitamins.

And in Hulk's defense, he wasn't fully aware what was in those vitamins. See his doctor for further answers. Phone Post 3.0

The Sultan -
EckY -

Bullshit. It was vitamins and eggs. Phone Post 3.0

"Obviously you can't clean up the sport."

Personally I hate that attitude. It is not obvious that you can't have a clean sport. There will always be ways around things, but you can reduce PED use massively through out of competition testing and stricter consequences. If you can get the PED users down to a small minority (especially amongst top 10 fighters), that is a "clean sport."

IMO it has to come from the commissions, though. Promotions aren't the right people to be trusted with those decisions. The commissions should mandate the expenses of out of competition testing are paid by promotions as a cost of business. There could be a scale that relates to the size of the promotion, i.e. big promotions subsidise some of the smaller promotions' expenses as well as their own.

For fighters, you can make the pros and cons of cheating weigh up so it makes sense for most not to bother cheating.

Some of the reactions are overblown, lifetime bans etc. That's ridiculous. For me a 2 year ban and forfeiting full fight purse (if the fight happens) to your opponent would be my idea of "fair," with a lower tier for a few drugs like marijuana.

However, if some "ban everyone for life" are bad, the counter-reactions are even worse.

"Anyone that thinks every single top fighter is not on PEDs is a fool! Obviously we can't have a sport full of roided athletes, let's not kid ourselves!"

Hopeless and absurd, and even more ridiculous than the calls to make the sport unrealistically strict on PED use.

There definitely are ways to dramatically reduce PED use, and there's reasons the sport should pursue them. If the UFC really believe the "take over the world mantra," it's an absolutely essential step towards achieving the kind of worldwide appreciation they publicise. Even if they don't, fully legitimising the sport is priceless for its long term viability as a recognised sport. It's not even an option.

And don't get me wrong, Silva testing positive did open my eyes and shake my confidence in some other fighters. But let's not take things to their extremes.

Personally I have no doubt there is a significant amount of top 10 fighters that are completely PED free, and who detest PEDs on principle. I don't know what that % is, but I believe it's significant and includes several of the sports greats.

IMO having strong principles is a performance enhancer that PED users can't access. Evens up the competition (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot) in ways that aren't so obvious, related to strength of will and clarity when it comes to the big picture of why they are fighting.

Sounds moralistic, but I don't mean it that way. What I mean is I don't believe it's as simple as "PED users get a big physical advantage and PED use is rife so all the top fighters use PEDs and the others don't stand a chance against them."

People will beat any test you put in front of them. It will never stop. You may think it will be under control but it won't be, not until the state is following everyone around every second of every day. Maybe then you can stop it. That's all we really need. More government regulation. Right?

But you're right that it only matters what people think. That's the only reason to ban them it seems. Because angry parents won't support your product. But that's from a business perspective. I don't run the ufc so I don't care. It doesn't affect my money. It sucks for the fighters. That's why we should have 2 leagues so they can choose. But no that's no good. People have to force their beliefs on everyone, for their protection of course.

Personally I don't care what other people think of mma. I watch it because I enjoy it not because it's popular. If I wanted to fit in with everyone else I would watch football. Which is somehow a more legitimate sport? Because people think they juice less. Meh. So what? People believe all kinds of nonsense. Phone Post 3.0

MMAO - And don't get me wrong, Silva testing positive did open my eyes and shake my confidence in some other fighters. But let's not take things to their extremes.

Personally I have no doubt there is a significant amount of top 10 fighters that are completely PED free, and who detest PEDs on principle. I don't know what that % is, but I believe it's significant and includes several of the sports greats.

IMO having strong principles is a performance enhancer that PED users can't access. Evens up the competition (sometimes a little, sometimes a lot) in ways that aren't so obvious, related to strength of will and clarity when it comes to the big picture of why they are fighting.

Sounds moralistic, but I don't mean it that way. What I mean is I don't believe it's as simple as "PED users get a big physical advantage and PED use is rife so all the top fighters use PEDs and the others don't stand a chance against them."
I was trying to not call you delusional in my last response but then I read this...

There is not a significant percentage in the top ten not using. Lol. Do you consider single digit percentage significant? Phone Post 3.0

AlbertEinstein - People will beat any test you put in front of them. It will never stop. You may think it will be under control but it won't be, not until the state is following everyone around every second of every day. Maybe then you can stop it. That's all we really need. More government regulation. Right?

But you're right that it only matters what people think. That's the only reason to ban them it seems. Because angry parents won't support your product. But that's from a business perspective. I don't run the ufc so I don't care. It doesn't affect my money. It sucks for the fighters. That's why we should have 2 leagues so they can choose. But no that's no good. People have to force their beliefs on everyone, for their protection of course.

Personally I don't care what other people think of mma. I watch it because I enjoy it not because it's popular. If I wanted to fit in with everyone else I would watch football. Which is somehow a more legitimate sport? Because people think they juice less. Meh. So what? People believe all kinds of nonsense. Phone Post 3.0

Yep, all tests will be beatable, but the task is just to make the cost of beating the tests and the risk of failing them not worth it. It's not to detect any illegal substance entering into an athlete's body 365 days a year.

The success of the sport depends on what people think, but the fighters' health is another thing that matters. Some are being exposed to more risk because they do things the correct way, and it makes sense to minimise that as much as possible.

I agree with your last point to some extent, but I think a sport like MMA absolutely needs to take PED testing seriously to break through as a long term legitimised sport, if only because by default it looks barbaric to a lot of people. Add rampant PED use to the mix and it creates a toxic mixture. Not just to mom and dad, but to boxing fans, etc.

By legitimate I mean "enough audience to be covered by all mainstream sports outlets in some capacity."

AlbertEinstein - 
MMAO - And don't get me wrong, Silva testing positive did open my eyes and shake my confidence in some other fighters. But let's not take things to their extremes.

I was trying to not call you delusional in my last response but then I read this...

There is not a significant percentage in the top ten not using. Lol. Do you consider single digit percentage significant? Phone Post 3.0

I didn't state "there is not…" as a fact, just what I tend to believe, to my best judgement.

If I was to put a number on it, I'd say "significant" means 25% or above. Not exactly optimistic imo.