I just bought cold cuts from an idiot.

Went to get cold cuts at Stop and Plop for lunch tomorrow. When I get to the deli counter there is some 400 pound whale arguing with employees about a slight price increase, which has nothing to do with the story but I found it funny.

Finally the whale leaves and I'm up, I ask for half a pound of buffalo chicken. She repeats it back to me so I know she heard correctly. She starts cutting some meat, puts it on the scale (which shows the weight to both her and me) and asks if that's ok. It was at 0.22 pounds.

I go "Uhhh, no, I asked for half a pound." She just stared at me like I had 5 heads. She looks at the guy who was also working at the deli and goes "Half a pound..? How much is that?" and he responds "Half of 100, so 50." and she goes "Ooooooh I get it." and finishes weighing out my chicken.

How the fuck are people this stupid?

No icky shuffle? Phone Post 3.0

drjones - lucky she didnt hand you 50 pounds lol

If it was for a half pound price then BIG WIN!

I'm constantly impressed by the fact that you have to repeat your order EVERY time you order cold cuts. These people do nothing but cut meat and cheese all day. But if I say "I need a half pound of virginia ham, salami, turkey, and alpine lace swiss" they always have a question a few minutes later about the order or weight. 

I mean, I'm no Einstein but a singular weight with 4 different meat/cheese types shouldn't be thattt difficult to recall.

Z NEDCMK1 - 

Were you expecting much more from the deli counter at Stop and Shop?

This.

It's a grocery chain deli counter position.

Probably part time and for minimum wage.

You aren't recruiting the best and the brightest with those kind of positions.

Willin - 

I'm constantly impressed by the fact that you have to repeat your order EVERY time you order cold cuts. These people do nothing but cut meat and cheese all day. But if I say "I need a half pound of virginia ham, salami, turkey, and alpine lace swiss" they always have a question a few minutes later about the order or weight. 

I mean, I'm no Einstein but a singular weight with 4 different meat/cheese types shouldn't be thattt difficult to recall.

I don't expect these people to remember more than one thing at a time, I hold them to a very low standard. But every time I ask for one thing, they go "is that it?" so I'll say the rest of my order (which is usually just one other thing). After they finish the first thing they ALWAYS ask again what else I wanted. Why fackin ask in the first place if you can't remember it 30 seconds later.

VTCO - 
Z NEDCMK1 - 

Were you expecting much more from the deli counter at Stop and Shop?

This.

It's a grocery chain deli counter position.

Probably part time and for minimum wage.

You aren't recruiting the best and the brightest with those kind of positions.

Is being able to figure out what half of 1 is really expecting much? I didn't even ask for something super complicated like two thirds of a pound! That would have just been chaos.

It's the same with the Chipotle line, they can only remember one thing at a time. If your short term memory is that bad you don't have many options.

drjones - lucky she didnt hand you 50 pounds lol
VU thought this same thing. Phone Post 3.0

American public education, 23rd in the world among developed countries, just doing it's thing.

But as far as repeating your order to you, this protects the employee because it gives the customer a chance to confirm or dispute what the employee is about to do before they screw up the order so there is no argument about it later.

easily the best thread title i've seen in a long time

SupesUp - No icky shuffle? Phone Post 3.0

its because if they cut too much for you they have to eat it

and the cost of it

For fun ask the deli guys for 3 quarters of a pound of something. They will pause for a good 30 seconds trying to figure that shit out.

Moist Gracie - I WANT ALL THE HAM Phone Post 3.0

Moist Gracie - I WANT ALL THE HAM Phone Post 3.0
Hello Patton Phone Post 3.0

Pfft, the deli employees around my area are fucking spot on. I would never disrespect them by assuming they are idiots. I place my order, they knock it out of the park and i leave with a heartfelt "thank you" Phone Post 3.0

I used to say 2/3rds of a pound and learned quickly that nobody knew what that was. So i switched to 3/4ths and it cut confusion by about half. Finally, just gave up and get the packaged Oscar Meyer.

^^^Why would you confuse people with such a complicated order?! Just say "about a pound" and then take what you get like everybody else!

Is this an appropriate place to ask how the meats get in a ball without the bones in it and whatnot?