I keep getting hung up in small guys Spider Guard

I'm a real big guy and need some tips on how to break through that damn bicep control or stop getting caught in that damn spider guard. I have a real strong side and too fame once I can get past it but I feel like a damn puppet when a good Purple belt or higher starts doing that bicep control on me in Spider.

Any good videos on how to combat that Langhi style guard?

I just want to smash! I'd like to find a good technique though.

I'm 6'2 260. Real powerful but trying to use just technique Phone Post 3.0

You have to rotate your wrists/hands inside, then break the grip. Anytime they get a grip on the sleeve, you break the grip, don't just smash.

Foot in the bicep with sleeve/collar control combo sets up because of trying to thrash and smash. Phone Post 3.0

BTTMike - You have to rotate your wrists/hands inside, then break the grip. Anytime they get a grip on the sleeve, you break the grip, don't just smash.

Foot in the bicep with sleeve/collar control combo sets up because of trying to thrash and smash. Phone Post 3.0
Yea I try that. Easier said than done with these guys that have insane grips Phone Post 3.0

Insane grip?! Dude you're 260, what do you expect?! Small guys going to Clinch with you?

Spider and dlr variations are the best way to deal with big guys, by far.

Just work the spider guard to understand how it works... Get up on your feet, lower their leverage and circle your hands to break the grips.

Be prepared to the dlr game just after... Phone Post 3.0

Close the distance or increase the distance. Don't let the guy playing spider dictate distance.
If you take a step back, you will extend his legs out effectively negating any leverage he has. Then work to get your grips. Or you can close the distance, get your hips in tight, effectively killing the spider guard. The work your grips.

Cobrinha spider guard IMO Phone Post 3.0

Use a knee through one of the spider hooks. Push down but keep your base. Circle your hand like everyone has mentioned and pull your hand away. Another way is to break the grips before they are able to make it into the spider gaurd. Google judo breaking grips to learn some good ways how to break those super strong guys. Hope this helps! Phone Post 3.0

Hey guys - who about we stop giving hints to the 260lb guy on how to pass?

You are probably better off just staying in the spider guard and waiting until you are in a triangle, you should try that.

Oh, and make sure to always keep your weight off the guy at all times.

So you say you're a big guy struggling with smaller guys' spider guard, huh? Good...

I had this problem until i learned the y grip break that someone posted. It was a xande video. It's very simple yet effective. Phone Post 3.0

tjmitch - Hey guys - who about we stop giving hints to the 260lb guy on how to pass?

You are probably better off just staying in the spider guard and waiting until you are in a triangle, you should try that.

Oh, and make sure to always keep your weight off the guy at all times.
Don't be afraid, bigger guys tend to never listen to advices...

His training partners can still trust the basic spider guard for a few months/years

And after that op will come back hating the lasso/dlr stuff! Phone Post 3.0

You don't necessarily even need to break the grip on the bicep control spider guard.

My favorite thing to do is side to side...Picture a circle around him. Stay on the perimeter where he can't sweep, until your oportunity to strike. He really needs to keep his hips in the middle between your elbow and your center of mass. If that is not true, then it's time to pass...

Start with a grip behind his calf. If he has your right bicep flared with the leg on that side extended, you first circle to your left. He can't sweep you, b/c you are staying on the perimeter of the circle.Try to get his foot in the middle between your body and his hips. If you get this, you can drive his leg to the mat and pass to that side. He feels this situation, so he swings his hips in to gain leverage to keep his leg up.... As he's shrimping his hips in, you circle the other way towards your right. This is your opportunity to move towards the center of the circe where you can stradle his left hip with your feet. Thrust your hips forwards. Get your elbow tight to your body, straightening your arm....He's lost his bicep control and that same side sleeve grip means nothing, but usually good things for you now.

Great advice guys. Thanks! I am a big guy but I really use technique most of the time and most small guys say they really enjoy rolling with me. Phone Post 3.0

Mrbrownfolks - I had this problem until i learned the y grip break that someone posted. It was a xande video. It's very simple yet effective. Phone Post 3.0
Can u post that vid? Phone Post 3.0

lol @ insane grips haha yes the poor guys don't want to get smashed. I am big too and my introduction to bjj in 94 was with a brown that was awesome at spider guard way back then. I moved and couldn't keep training but the frustration lasted years.

Here is one recent vid that came to mind, first technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYreZhCtxjI

krept - lol @ insane grips haha yes the poor guys don't want to get smashed. I am big too and my introduction to bjj in 94 was with a brown that was awesome at spider guard way back then. I moved and couldn't keep training but the frustration lasted years.

Here is one recent vid that came to mind, first technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYreZhCtxjI
Excellent Phone Post 3.0

-You should break any collar grip before standing.

-When you stand against a small opponent, it is difficult for the small opponent to keep the proper leg angles because the vertical distance is a challenge. 

-You don't always need to break grips. You can often work with a sleeve grip.

I just tossed this thing together for some fundamental physics and movement against basic bicep control spider guard....

Thanks man Phone Post 3.0

I use spider a lot, one good bit of advice is to try to keep your hips forward. It makes using spider less effective and will be easier to circle your hand out because it will relieve the pressure on your bicept