I love Neil Degrasse Tyson's quote- apply to bjj

I'm a fan of Joe Rogan's podcast (joerogan.net), and he recently had on renown Astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson.

It was a great show, and Neil proved to be one of the most popular guests ever on Joe's podcast (he was my personal favorite).

At the end of the show, Joe was thanking him for being such an amazing intellect, and Neil replied by stating:

"I already know that the universe is an extraordinary place- but not everybody does. So part of what I do is serve as a conduit between the curiosity in our culture that is embedded there even if we have forgotten it, I know its within us all- because its in all of us when we are children…All I do is part the curtains for people to recognize the awesomeness of the universe that is there with or without me."

I feel this is an amazing statement, that can be applied to all that teach Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (me being one of them).

We are not anymore special than our students.

Rather, we have been given the priviledge and knowledge to "part the curtains" and let our students know how amazing BJJ can be for them.

And, I do prescribe by the fact that most of us do have a curiousity or fondness for grappling- just look at 99% of the children out there...they love wrestling with their friends.

And yes, I do believe that by parting the curtains, and imparting wisdom of a deadly martial art to our students, we owe it to them to be an upstanding individual and a good example to them.

For a guy who's supposed to be a "down to earth" scientist, I felt like he came off pretty cocky and annoying in that interview

^ hmm, very interesting, as I had the opposite feeling.

I thought part of his appeal was his humbleness and his openess to listen to conspiracy theories.

But I respect your opinion too!

NDT is the man. did he talk about being in a superman comic book?

kying418 - And yes, I do believe that by parting the curtains, and imparting wisdom of a deadly martial art to our students, we owe it to them to be an upstanding individual and a good example to them.

YES

falsecrack - For a guy who's supposed to be a "down to earth" scientist, I felt like he came off pretty cocky and annoying in that interview

Agreed, not a fan of him either. I enjoyed Maddox ripping on him and pop-sci in general here:

http://thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=youre_not_a_nerd

falsecrack - For a guy who's supposed to be a "down to earth" scientist, I felt like he came off pretty cocky and annoying in that interview

I think it has to do with him gaining some serious internet fame and having die hard fans... it has gone to his head a bit. He didn't come off this way 7 or 8 years ago.