I need help with a printer

My boss purchased some computers on Windows8 OS. I told him to get Windows7 since all of our printers are old, but he didn't listen. Now, I am trying to get a dot matrix printer to work, but the software isn't compatible with 8. Plus, the Epson website doesn't have a driver for it. I called Espon and they said on 8 it should act as a plug and play, but when I try to search for it on the network I can't find it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Epson FX-890

The poster that helps me figure this out get a free blue for a year.

use the print drivers for Vista on windows 8. Stupidest thing ever but it works most times. Phone Post 3.0

OutTapped - use the print drivers for Vista on windows 8. Stupidest thing ever but it works most times. Phone Post 3.0

OMG Seriously? Going to try now.

Search for it on the network?  So it's a network printer?  Is it properly configured (on the printer)?

It will need an IP, so it can be set to DHCP or you can set a static IP.  If it is not on the same subnet as you, it will not be visible by default through network discovery.  If you are using 192.168.0.1 for your computers, the printer must have an IP of 192.168.0.XXX for it to be seen through network discovery.

Alternatively, you can just go to the printer, print a network diagnostic, then go back to your computer and instead of trying to discover the printer go directly to add a TCP/IP printer and punch in the printers IP address.

Just FYI, not even Windows 7 or whatever else will find a network printer if it isn't configured properly.

bow chicka wow wow....I just have to get under your desk.....

Well, there are 2 printers (same exact model) one is a network printer and the other is a dedicated printer. Right now I am working with the dedicated printer and my head is about to explode.

On the network printer, if other computers can see it, why can't I?

This crap is making me feel like I can't even count to potato. :'(

ilovetortillas - On the network printer, if other computers can see it, why can't I?

Windows 8 has a new, sort of, functionality called Homegroups.  Make sure you are not part of one since the other non-Windows 8 PC's will be part of a WORKGROUP.  On the Windows 8 PC, leave the Homegroup (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/leave-a-homegroup) and join the same workgroup the other computers are on (by default its typically a workgroup just called WORKGROUP).  Being on seperate work/home groups also prevents network discovery.

Also make sure you turn ON network discovery from the network and sharing center / advanced sharing settings.  Under the private section there is a network discovery toggle.  However, that also brings up a good point, when you first connected your internet I hope you selected Home or Work and not Public for network type, heres a how-to (http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/18934-change-network-location-from-public-to-private-in-windows-8)

Turn it on. Phone Post 3.0

Do what TheVandalz said, set it up TCP/IP.

Find the IP Address of the printer using the printer menu.

On your computer go to Add Printer > Add a local printer > Create new port (select TCP/IP)

Plug in the IP address.

This works on Win 7 machines when network discovery doesn't work, not sure about Win 8 but worth a try.

It is probably the PC LOAD LETTER error.

ilovetortillas - 
OutTapped - use the print drivers for Vista on windows 8. Stupidest thing ever but it works most times. Phone Post 3.0

It worked. HECK YES!!!

I read this title to t-pains "I'm in love with a stripper" Phone Post 3.0

Gotta love Windows 8 Phone Post 3.0

ChicagoTom - I read this title to t-pains "I'm in love with a stripper" Phone Post 3.0

OMG, LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

The_KoJ - Gotta love Windows 8 Phone Post 3.0

I want to stab it in the face! LOL!!

ilovetortillas -
ilovetortillas - 

It worked. HECK YES!!!
I don't think you get 100% functionality but it will get the job done. My dad just upgraded from XP to 8. I almost blew my brains out when I had to transfer everything and get new drivers. Worst part was he told me he had high speed Internet. He lied. He had the lowest speed our provider has, barely faster than dial up. You know how many drivers I downloaded to figure out vista worked? Most painful experience Phone Post 3.0

OutTapped, how would you like your blue name? Extension of your current of would you like to pass it along to another forum member?

OutTapped - 
ilovetortillas -
ilovetortillas - 

It worked. HECK YES!!!
I don't think you get 100% functionality but it will get the job done. My dad just upgraded from XP to 8. I almost blew my brains out when I had to transfer everything and get new drivers. Worst part was he told me he had high speed Internet. He lied. He had the lowest speed our provider has, barely faster than dial up. You know how many drivers I downloaded to figure out vista worked? Most painful experience Phone Post 3.0

I super appreciate it, brother. Let me know how you want that blue name & VTFU. :)