I need job advice

I’m currently a process engineer specifically on the industrial water treatment side, and I really do enjoy my job.

however, I had an acquaintance from a wedding this past weekend reach out to me about becoming a quality engineer for his company. Kicker is, I’d start the first 18-24 months in Japan. I have a young family, my son is only 6 months old. My wife is a teacher, and we have an established life where we are at.

this is a better company than I currently work for and once I came back to the states I’d have a very nice job and career placement waiting for me. 

Not sure what to do guys, it’s kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity. At the same time it will be really damn hard to just pack up and leave for two years.

also if anyone followed my other thread last week I learned that my dad isn’t my biological dad. What a fucking weird two weeks.

Do Not Leave Your Family.

your children’s brains are forming now…it’s most important that you are around from ages 0-6.

Obviously, talk to the wife about it, but it sounds like a great opportunity. 

If your wife is cool with it and coming with you, I'd say do it. Your son Isn't going to remember most of his first few years, anyway. 

Getting paid to live in a foreign country while upping your skillset seems like a pretty sweet opportunity. 

It would also depend on the location in Japan and the standard of living you're able to maintain while you're there. . 

- black Doug 

dougie -

If your wife is cool with it and coming with you, I'd say do it. Your son Isn't going to remember most of his first few years, anyway. 

Getting paid to live in a foreign country while upping your skillset seems like a pretty sweet opportunity. 

It would also depend on the location in Japan and the standard of living you're able to maintain while you're there. . 

- black Doug 

That’s my general thought process. Forgot to mention family would absolutely be coming with me. 

Specifcally it it would be in Yokohama, and the company would pay for an apartment.

Sounds like a fantastic opportunity and Japan is a wonderful place to live if you can deal with not having as much space. Wife and I are talking about doing a year working over there with our kids when the time is right. 

Do it. Regret is a bastard and you will forever regret this if you do not take it. 

Do it faggit. Post pics along the way too. Sounds awesome. You only get one chance at life. 

tonyromosbackspasm -
dougie -

- black Doug 

That’s my general thought process. Forgot to mention family would absolutely be coming with me. 

Specifcally it it would be in Yokohama, and the company would pay for an apartment.

100% do it. What an experience! 

Oh yeah man I would do it if the family comes with. I was 2 when my dad was got stationed in Germany for 2 years. I barely remember anything. Your son wont remember a damn thing and 2 years to set you up for life in a kick ass place in Japan is a no brainer. Its temporary man do it 

And lol you still rocking that screen name bet  we did  years ago hahaha 

If new company sounds solid enough do it.

I wish you could stay in Japan longer.

The 18 months to 2 years will fly by before you know it but will be full of experiences.

Umm, if you don't do it OP, i will.

Do it. Chance of a lifetime..not just for the new job, but for the experience. 

ChicagoTom - 

Do it faggit. Post pics along the way too. Sounds awesome. You only get one chance at life. 

Dr Dsle Doback would be proud.

I can imagine him making some comment about getting outside the wire and. Experiencing a few things.

My brother and his wife just went to Japan for a few years for her work. They have no regrets.

tonyromosbackspasm - 

I’m currently a process engineer specifically on the industrial water treatment side, and I really do enjoy my job.

however, I had an acquaintance from a wedding this past weekend reach out to me about becoming a quality engineer for his company. Kicker is, I’d start the first 18-24 months in Japan. I have a young family, my son is only 6 months old. My wife is a teacher, and we have an established life where we are at.

this is a better company than I currently work for and once I came back to the states I’d have a very nice job and career placement waiting for me. 

Not sure what to do guys, it’s kind of a once in a lifetime opportunity. At the same time it will be really damn hard to just pack up and leave for two years.

also if anyone followed my other thread last week I learned that my dad isn’t my biological dad. What a fucking weird two weeks.

Can someone link me to the thread about your dad?

sanguine cynic -
tonyromosbackspasm - 

Can someone link me to the thread about your dad?

I bumped it for you

If your wife is going to go back to work after, then you need to consider her ability to get employed after.

My friend from university moved with his wife to another country for a fantastic job opportunity for him. He got a $25k bump up in salary. They didn’t realize losing her salary $45k while there and her being out of work for a fair bit of time when they came back, made them WORSE off.

If you are doing this for more money, you need to look at the total impact to the HOUSEHOLD income, not just yours.

effertime -

Do it. Chance of a lifetime..not just for the new job, but for the experience. 

I’m strongly considering it, but it’s not just my decision it will be a family decision. 

My wife and I are going to meet up with the acquaintance and his wife this weekend and discuss it further and decide if we want to do it or not.

my biggest thing is I need to know if I’m right for the job and if the job is right for me, I can’t get lost in the excitement of the experience.