I pulled 715 today!

Today I beat my personal best deadlift by pulling 715! Although I will admit I cheated slightly (slumped my back a bit).

Lately I have been powerlifting to improve my BJJ/MMA game. My takedowns are currently subpar, as I only do BJJ, but with enough strength you can muscle anyone down.

Been bench pressing my ass off too, my current max is 335. Haven't done any striking lately, I want to get my strength up so I can start with a good base of punching power.

Is anyone else taking a power based approach to BJJ/MMA?

i power drink - it gives me beer muscles and confidence.

Doing olympic lifts will strengthen your core, and develop explosiveness
which will definitely help in mma for takedowns etc. But for punching
power it doesn't come from big muscles, but rather from technique and
speed.

^^ and turning your hips to get your full body behind the power punch, rather than arm punching

how much do you weigh?

yes, punching power comes from technique and speed, but size and
strength sure dont hurt.

"But for punching power it doesn't come from big muscles," this may be a stupid question then, but why do most boxers have big Lats then?

On a previous thread you told me that you work out on squat with 295lbs and yet you can pull 700lbs on a deadlift?

I currently weigh 215, at about 10% BF.

off the floor? good job.

"On a previous thread you told me that you work out on squat with 295lbs and yet you can pull 700lbs on a deadlift?"

I can strict squat (ass to grass) 295, but I can half-squat 685.

I can pull (with a slightly slumped back) more than I squat.

I request visual proof.

Didn't take any pics, I was working out by myself. However, I am doing deads on Saturday with a buddy, I will take a pic then and post it.

Post it on this thread, don't make a new one.

Accoring to the American Powerlifting Assocation's website the drug tested record for the 220 lbs weight class is 700 pounds, 780 for non tested. So... maybe not.

deadlift 715
bench 335
= long arms (me too, 635 DL, 365 bench - when I was competitive in Powerlifting. So great lift and very believable. Congrats.)

but 295 squat? When you say 686 for a "half-squat" do you mean when your femur bones hit parallel with the floor? That sounds right (otherwise you were born with no quadriceps, I think)

"Accoring to the American Powerlifting Assocation's website the drug tested record for the 220 lbs weight class is 700 pounds, 780 for non tested. So... maybe not."

As I said from my first post, this was not a strict, competition deadlift. I slumped my back when doing the lift, which is technically cheating in a powerlifting competition.

With clean form I can probably do around 600.

Not too shabby if true. My best pull is 585, but I squat 405 with my ass to the floor, bench is 355. You need to work on your legs like a mofo.

"deadlift 715 bench 335 = long arms (me too, 635 DL, 365 bench - when I was competitive in Powerlifting. So great lift and very believable. Congrats.)

but 295 squat? When you say 686 for a "half-squat" do you mean when your femur bones hit parallel with the floor? That sounds right (otherwise you were born with no quadriceps, I think)"

Thanks man.

By half-squat, I mean slightly above parallel. This is what I mainly do when it comes to squats, however, I dont do them much.

I am concentrating on deads and bench at the moment.

Congrats Tex :)

So why are wew posting this here btw?

Care to tell us about your 12inch cack while were bragging? lol Might as well before the 500# benchers start posting.