I shot 4 hogs this weekend

Left my phone with the pics at home so you'll have to wait until tonight for the photos. I didnt take a lot though because I was not there for a trophy, I was looking to fill the freezer.

Went to a private ranch in north FL. hunted in a stand and then spot and stalk with a spotlight at night. so fucking exciting. These things get prehistoric.

the first was a trophy size boar that I shot from a treestand. I was using a 30-06 and it literally took 3 dome shots to get this animal to stop trying to get up. he would have been a wall hanger for sure but i went all headshots to get the max amount of meat. this was the only hog taken in daylight. he weighed a little over 200lbs and was about 7-8 yrs old. the guide said this particular hog had run him up a tree several times while working on the ranch.

the second hog was spotted at about 70 yards in very low light. i hit it from a kneeling position, right behind the ear. dropped on the spot. about 80 lbs.

the third was a shitty situation. i felt really terrible about it. I pride myself on practicing enough to make a clean kill everytime. this one was less than perfect.

by the time we came up on this group, it was extremely dark so the guide was gonna hit the spotlight and I'd have to acquire the target quickly and fire. I did and ended up hitting this sow midway down the spine. she fell so I chambered another round and just as I fired (she was facing me) she popped up so she was gut shot. opened her up like a zipper. Thankfully she only took about 10 seconds to die but like I said, I felt terrible and almost wanted to wrap it up right there. this one was 87 lbs and taken at about 45 yards.

the 4th and last was crazy exciting. Again we came within about 35 yards of a group and as soon as he hit the spotlight the scattered. After the previous hog I was determined to take nothing less than a perfect shotm so I held off. we waited anothe 3 minutes and they reconvened. The spotlight went ion and again they all bolted. this time, I had a little black and white one in my scope but she was in a dead sprint about 35 yards away and moving to my right. I took the shot.

The guide said "ok, lets keep moving, I think we might be able to find another group. looks like that was a miss" I was a little diasppointed that he was so sure but I encouraged him to come look for a bloodtrail with me.

After a couple minutes, I heard him say "holy shit, come here man" I walked over and he pointed to 2 quarter sized drops of bright red blood. this told us that not only had I hit this hog but it was hit good. a scant 10 yard trail led right into some very heavy palmetto brush where we found a big bloodsmear on one of the leaves.

He said "this is where it gets exciting. put down your rifle, take out your flashlight, take out that .44 you have on your hip and lets get in that brush and find this hog. he's hit so he may be dead but if he is alive, he is gonna be PISSED and if he gets up and comes at us, you have to shoot him in the face"

FUCK YES!

My heart was pounding. this palmetto was crazy thick. i basically had to push my way though with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other. Most exciting thing I've ever done in my life. We made it about 10 yards in and found the hog dead. double lunged.

Total hunt of a lifetime and I came home with 200+ lbs of meat. The BBQ is on dudes!

blu please:

http://instagram.com/p/Z_cRF8GRXW/

I shot just one....your MOM!
-The OG

jk dude that is awesome!

How is wild hog compared to just regular pig? Phone Post 3.0

gamier tasting

Where they castrated boars or intact?

the big one was a bar hog - caught as a piglet, castrated and released. the other 3 were sows,

Sounds like fun OP.

Be sure to post some pics later!

will do..

MichaelVronsky - the big one was a bar hog - caught as a piglet, castrated and released. the other 3 were sows,

I'm confused here? 

So you said you went to a ranch to hunt and above said you shot a pig that was caught and released after being castrated?

So are these animals fenced in or are they actually "wild" boar as in if they wanted they could run 25 miles away?

MainelyBJJ - 
MichaelVronsky - the big one was a bar hog - caught as a piglet, castrated and released. the other 3 were sows,

I'm confused here? 

So you said you went to a ranch to hunt and above said you shot a pig that was caught and released after being castrated?

So are these animals fenced in or are they actually "wild" boar as in if they wanted they could run 25 miles away?

These were feral hogs. descendants and former domesticated pigs that have escaped and propogated in the wild.There are many programs in place in FL to control the population. One of them in trap/neuter. The owners of this several hundred acre rance have been allowing these organizations to relocate/relase hogs onto thier land for years. they have low property fences but they keep the pigs in resources so there is little reason for them to venture elsewhere.

Ahhhhhhhhh   nothing wrong with that.

Fl has a problem with em also huh?  Saw a show on how bad they are in Texas. 

I cant believe with all the money the gov wastes they havent made a branch just to kill hogs and feed the hungry!!!!

yeah, they are bad in FL.

I would call this a truly natural hunt, as the animals are somewhat controlled with resurces and like I said there is a low property fence but this is definitely no canned hunt and these are definitely not domesticated animals. they do however get to live a (somewhat) natural life free of cruelty or mistreatment and allowed to do as they please (until somebody shoots them)

Castration not only controls the population, if someone comes along and hunts the animal its supposed to taste much much better.

Awesome dude!! Great job!!

Awesome Zev

Fuck, now I'm hungry

I'd love to go hog hunting again, but I'm all the way up in CT.

What's the closest place I could drive to that has real wild hog hunting?

Willybone - 

I'd love to go hog hunting again, but I'm all the way up in CT.

What's the closest place I could drive to that has real wild hog hunting?

well everything up here is too close to a canned hunt for me. I flew into daytona which was cjeap and I ended up paying the outfitter like 800 bucks plus tip for 4 hogs. not expensive at all.

LeftBench - Awesome Zev

definitely making another trip next year if you're interested. got a free place to stay down there..