I spoke to Evander Holyfield

If Nunn was that tough, how tough was James Toney???

Drunkie, I pretty much agree w/ what you said in your post above but ideally, a father is part of his children's lives on a regular basis as well (as in being there for them) and that isn't true in Holyfield's case. I recall that Holyfield, when he was trying to sell one of the Lewis fights, came to LA to do a press conference and visited one of his daughters, who was a young girl, for a few hours when he took her to the event in his limo.

I didn't know what had happened to Michael Nunn (going to prison for drug dealing). What a shame. Fabulous fighter.

voorhees - 
pharochuck -  he had a serious mental edge over tyson from the 84 trials. michael nunn and tyrell biggs were basically picking on tyson, making fun of him and the coaches thought biggs would be better and literally made tyson sweat down to 201 and fight tillman. tyson was under a ton of pressure and didn't respond well. michael nunn challenged tyson to take it outside. tyson backed down. nunn then became merciless in his tyson torment. and dont let the weight fool you supposedly nunn was a terror in a street fight and had already smacked tillman around and biggs in the street and was basically the alpha, which was why he was going after tyson so hard. holyfield stepped in and made nunn back off and basically 'protected' tyson from the bullies. holy was much older and mature. in the pros tyson intentionally carried biggs a couple of more rounds to punish him and nunn ended up in prison.

hey was that from Teddy Atlas' book?

Wow great story. Dont hear to many boxing stories like that.

It is one hell of a story... but is it true?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20080706/SPORTS14/807060338/Rise-fall-boxing-champion-Michael-Nunn

Very interesting read about Nunn.

ron den otter - If Nunn was that tough, how tough was James Toney???
not to make excuses, but nunn got caught, plain and simple he took toney lightly and, go back and rewatch the fight, was schooling toney. read that again and think about how good toney was. he got careless.

Smallest hands of any hw I've ever met... Phone Post

ron den otter - It is one hell of a story... but is it true?
maybe you can check with others who were around at that time and ask them. i know several parts are definitely true, nunn was definitely a very tough guy in the streets, its been confirmed that tyson hated biggs from there time around each other during that time period, holyfield would cryptically say in interviews 'i know a mike who wasn't that tough' so you decide for yourself, 

Part 2

Evander talks more about the fights and fighters.

http://www.livefight.com/news.php?news_id=1751&y=2012&m=01

Interesting stuff pharochuck

Yeah, I'm TTT'ing my own thread!

Brian Peppers -
Elias Cepeda - 
Brian Peppers - 
Elias Cepeda -  hey brother, you can call children all the names you want, but I'm not calling them or their existence, "illegitmate."  Have fun with that though 

I'm not the one who invented the term "illegitimate" and I am using it in the proper way according to the dictionary. I suppose you are too hip for using words as they are both defined and intended, or perhaps it just hits a nerve?

Everyone that knows me knows I'm not "hip" in any regard, but I don't think whether or not a life is legit is predetermined by whether or not the child's parents were married.  We can look at the many dictionaries over the years and find lots of terms that were considered acceptable that we've since thought better of. Nothing wrong with thinking carefully about the words we use, brosef.

And obviously it hit a nerve - because I think your post and usage of that term were dickish. If you want to extrapolate and suggest something about the context of my own conception you can, I guess. But I think that's a little wierd.

For what its worth, the term illegitimate isn't so much a stigma against the child as it is against the parent. I realize that it is of no responsibility to the children, but I think it does say something quite significant about a guy that has more than 10 children out of wedlock. You shouldn't be so uptight about stuff like words and attach a negative connotation incorrectly to them. It is just a word used to define a specific circumstance that illustrated what a scumbag Holyfield is.

You both have a good argument, but it just sounds like a fucked up word. Almost like how people feel when you call a developmental disabled person a retard, or a little person a midget, both can get ya fucked up! Phone Post