I started getting anxiety as a fighter too!

BigSteelBrown - 10 mg of xanax twice a day for me
Does that completely control it?

The Horror - 
BigSteelBrown - 10 mg of xanax twice a day for me
Does that completely control it?

i actually ment 1.0 not 10 mg twice a day and it makes a huge difference. i used to get panic attacks so bad that i couldnt talk right i knew what i wanted to say but it just would come out as jibberish, and my hands would shake like i was having a seizure. when i was fighting i took it as part of the game but when it started to effect my work and social life i went to the dr.

Just put my input in , I suffer from panic attacks too for over 10 years now it has always  made my performance in jiujitsu awful in front of my teacher.I had to get on paxil it helps , But makes me very tired!

I competed in muaythai...I was always a guy that was a wreck before the fight.... but once in I was OK.

I performed ok in the fight but the whole ritual before was the worst part..... the more I fought the better it got but I found that if I wasnt nervous before I would not perform as well....wiered!

You have to feel for Karo... I mean it is his living... and the whole panic disorder thing is a vicious circle once you are in it it can consume you and ruin your carreer.....

I honestly think he should get some sports psycology guy on the case and get back in the cage asap before the whole thing gets out of control.... he has to get control of it and the best way is to get back on the horse..... exposure to the fear is the best method imo.

Hope he gets better as he is a hell of a fighter and it would be a shitty thing to go out on.... to an onlooker it can seem a bit silly but panic attacks are no joke... if you have one you dont forget it in a hurry.

One of my friends is like that. One of the most naturally gifted thai fighters I know, yet he freaks out incredibly bad right before a fight.

I usually get anxiety attacks when I am sleeping. I wake up feeling like I am on the verge of dying. One of the most scariest things I have experienced. It only happens when I have a big issue going on in my life, i.e. buying a house or other things that lead to stress.

I never thought I could have one when awake but after reading this I think I might have had one in my first MT fight. After the first round I could barely breath, my head felt very tight inside my headgear and all I heard was a wave like noise around my head. I went back to my corner and told my coach "That's it, I'm done. I'm gassed." My coach later explained that I couldn't have gassed because physiologically I had prepared myself for this for weeks. I know it wasn't a hit I took because I have been hit harder in the gym and shook it off.

When I tried to explain how I felt no one understood. I just chalked it up to first fight jitters. I guess we'll find out Oct 18 when I go in again...