I still maintain if we just ignored coronavirus

it would go away on its own in due time with minimal impact to the economy or loss in life. But people love a good catastrophe. Rabble rousers, wanna-be heroes, and those looking to climb the political ladder are rubbing their hands together in glee and hoping this goes on for as long as possible so that they can exploit it for their own ends.

64 Likes

Yeah worst case scenario, double the flu in a given year.  Without media hysteria, people would literally not realize it even happened.

15 Likes

It was left unchecked in Italy and its crushed their health care system. 

There isn’t a health care system anywhere set up to handle the percentage of populations that this virus seems to be hospitalizing. 

47 Likes

The R0 is estimated at 2.3 even with reduction measures, so more without.

That implies (2.3-1)/2.3 = 55% of population infected to reach herd immunity, with death rate in SK at 1% and Italy at 7%, that means between 1.5 million to 10 million dead in US alone

What thought have you put into this?

19 Likes

ryans -

That implies (2.3-1)/2.3 = 55% of population infected to reach herd immunity, with death rate in SK at 1% and Italy at 7%, that means between 1.5 million to 10 million dead in US alone

You really think over 1M americans are going to die? Really? Deaths wont surpass the 12K of H1N1...

14 Likes

Thank you Dr. Gravy. 

2 Likes

Here we go with this nonsense again. What you think is irrelevant to the facts. Sorry to break it to you.

10 Likes

King Trav - 

There isn’t a health care system anywhere set up to handle the percentage of populations that this virus seems to be hospitalizing. 

Because by the time it showed up in Italy, everyone had been whipped into a frenzy and convinced they needed to go to hospital instead of stay at home and recover on the couch as they would have in almost any other situation. Of course the medical system is going to be overloaded once you've convinced EVERYONE they need hospital care.

11 Likes

ryans - 

Speculative numbers generated by people with a less-than-rudimentary grasp of human history.

5 Likes

FETT_the geek - 

Thank you Dr. Gravy. 

One doesn't have to be a doctor to state the obvious.

3 Likes

ABCTT_Ninpo Silva - 

Here we go with this nonsense again. What you think is irrelevant to the facts. Sorry to break it to you.

I guess we'll see after it's all said and done who's correct.

3 Likes

lol I commend you in doubling down on your idiocy SG.  Well done sir. 

9 Likes

ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff - 

lol I commend you in doubling down on your idiocy SG.  Well done sir. 

I'm telling you, baby, you always double down on eleven.

2 Likes

Soul Gravy -
ryans - 

Speculative numbers generated by people with a less-than-rudimentary grasp of human history.

Lmao

King Trav - 

You can't take Italy with their aging population and public option and use that as the basis to project what will happen when the virus hits the United States.

I immediately called my private doctor today (for something un-related) walked in and out in 20 mins...got my prescription re-filled very quickly. It was ready when I arrived.

Italy is aging and had a run on the doctors and hospitals who are forced to take everyone and figure it out.

I don't like taking the marginal cases and using it to make a broader point. This will be on par or less dramatic than H1N1. Unfortunately, the hysteria crashed the economy, sucked a ton of money out of people's retirement accounts and will take years restoring.

3 Likes

What evidence do you basis this on? Well, other than your feelings.

3 Likes

ksacs revenge - 

What evidence do you basis this on? Well, other than your feelings.

Logic, rationale, common sense, knowledge of human history, and apparently the ability to see behind the curtain of bullshit.

8 Likes

Soul Gravy -
King Trav - 

Because by the time it showed up in Italy, everyone had been whipped into a frenzy and convinced they needed to go to hospital instead of stay at home and recover on the couch as they would have in almost any other situation. Of course the medical system is going to be overloaded once you've convinced EVERYONE they need hospital care.

Exactly.  Hospitals be throwing fools on ventilators ‘n shit.

1 Like

Soul Gravy -
King Trav - 

Everyone was convinced they needed to go to the ICU?  That's a new one.

How about Iran with their mass graves?  Are they burying people in those because of media hype?

1 Like

Final cdc estimates (of total cases, hospitalizations, deaths) months down the road will tell the tale. We will know for sure if burning down the economy was worth it or not. 

2 Likes