"I teach my kids that competitiveness is wrong."

That's what I just got told by a lady at work during coffee break.

I was telling some people that my kid has a big jiujitsu tournament and she's been putting in some extra work to get ready.

Some extra workouts and stuff. She took third in gi and second in nogi at this tourney last year. She was the only girl and the next smallest kid in her div was 5kg heavier.

My girl wants to do better this year. She'd like to win it.

Some fat chick pipes up about how we shouldn't teach kids to be competitive and that it hurts society as a whole. Then she busts out, "I teach my kids that competitiveness is wrong."

At first I thought she was joking. Then she went on to tell us that if they're playing a game and one of her kids takes it too seriously she'll make them sit out. She said she pulled her kids from soccer because even though they didn't keep score for real, the kids on the team did and would celebrate their wins at practice!

I thought people like this only existed on the internet. I'd never met one in real life. I'm a little bit flabbergasted.

I'm not sure how to raise my kids other than to compete hard and try to win at everything. You don't gotta win, but you should try to.

I just needed to rant so I wouldn't get in trouble with HR. Thanks for listening OG. Phone Post 3.0

cooperation, fair play, and competition don't have to be exclusive. people shouold learn this

Should have slapped her and said "compete with this!" Phone Post 3.0

The crazy parents who act like school sports are the most important thing in the world suck. And the parents that don't want their delicate flower emotionally harmed by a score in their soccer game also suck.

There is a pretty solid middle ground between them.

King Trav - That's what I just got told by a lady at work during coffee break.

I was telling some people that my kid has a big jiujitsu tournament and she's been putting in some extra work to get ready.

Some extra workouts and stuff. She took third in gi and second in nogi at this tourney last year. She was the only girl and the next smallest kid in her div was 5kg heavier.

My girl wants to do better this year. She'd like to win it.

Some fat chick pipes up about how we shouldn't teach kids to be competitive and that it hurts society as a whole. Then she busts out, "I teach my kids that competitiveness is wrong."

At first I thought she was joking. Then she went on to tell us that if they're playing a game and one of her kids takes it too seriously she'll make them sit out. She said she pulled her kids from soccer because even though they didn't keep score for real, the kids on the team did and would celebrate their wins at practice!

I thought people like this only existed on the internet. I'd never met one in real life. I'm a little bit flabbergasted.

I'm not sure how to raise my kids other than to compete hard and try to win at everything. You don't gotta win, but you should try to.

I just needed to rant so I wouldn't get in trouble with HR. Thanks for listening OG. Phone Post 3.0
Never stop teaching your kid to compete. Life won't replicate this perversion that these people are creating. Phone Post 3.0

I teach mine that what matters is doing your very best, and winning or losing doesn't matter, as long as you gave your best effort (but that if you give your best effort, you'll win more than you lose)

Those poor kids. She's harming them for life

Seriously they would rather you not feel bad not winning but these same people don't know what it is to put in hard work and have it pay off and the feeling you get and how much you can accomplish if something is competitive Phone Post 3.0

People like her is what's hurting our society. Meanwhile the rest of the world will pass us by. Phone Post 3.0

LOl my wife was the typical east coast hockey mom. Told my kid at the break in between periods if you can't beat em, beat em up.

I just started teaching my girl (10) that there is winners and losers in the world.
She was becoming to happy just being average. She is usually good enough to get by with very little effort.
Now I ask her every day if she wants to be a winner or a loser. She responds winner. Then I ask her, how do you be a winner. The answer, work harder then every one else. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Fanboy - 

Can I assume she is overweight?

i dont think it's safe to assume this

especially because he said "Some fat chick pipes up"

Competition is embedded in EVERY facet of life. Those who understand and embrace it will be the most successful. Phone Post 3.0

Don't put all us overweight people in the same boat though, I'm extremely competitive in any sport I play and will teach my son to be competitive in all things. Phone Post 3.0

At any one task there is literally only 1 person out of 7 billion people that is the best at it. There will always be someone better than you. It's okay to fail. Part of the learning experience competing is learning that no matter how hard you try sometimes it just isn't enough. You have to learn what you're good at and what you're not and how to leverage those things to succeed at life. If you never learn what you excel at and what you struggle with you won't do well in life.

My 5 year old gets mad if she doesn't win at everything. And I won't change a thing. If she wants to win she will work hard and at her age I don't want to change how she thinks about it. Working hard = you will win. Phone Post 3.0

Fat women are the worst. Literally the worst thing.

The other scary part of this story is that she's a teacher! That means she's probably influencing other people's kids with this toxic attitude.

I'd be pissed if one of my girls came home telling me that their teacher is teaching them competing is wrong, or sat them out of something because they try to win. Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Fanboy -

Can I assume she is overweight?

She is.

She ate three donuts in 15 minutes! Stale Tim Hortons donuts from this morning. She was the only person eating them.

She even said that she normally wouldn't eat three, but she's been walking her dog a lot lately.

It was difficult to not get into trouble. Phone Post 3.0

Slowshot -

I teach mine that what matters is doing your very best, and winning or losing doesn't matter, as long as you gave your best effort (but that if you give your best effort, you'll win more than you lose)

Fuckin A'

The only competition is against yourself.

Doing better than you did yesterday. Phone Post 3.0