I think I just got raped by California!

I'm literally sitting here in a state of shock not quite sure WTF just happened to me.

I recently relocated permanently to CA, and being the good law abiding citizen I am, I wanted to comply with their DMV laws which are that you need to switch your driver's license to a CA one within 10 days and register your car within 20.  I could have kept everything in FL but decided to do the right thing.   So, I made an appointment with the DMV for this morning.

I had all my paperwork ready and get up to the window and the girl tells me that I need about fifty more forms than what the website told me I needed.  

Mind you, this is the state in which an illegal immigrant with no documents can get a driver's license, but where me, a law abiding citizen, has to bring in a million different types of proof of ID.  Who the fuck has their birth certificate anymore?  Fortunately I had a passport but my FL license wasn't enough, and in order to establish proof of residency, my cell phone bill wasn't enough either.  

Anyway, we move on to my car registration.  Their website says that if the car is less than a couple of years old, you don't need a smog check.  Mine is literally two fucking months old.  Lady says she doesn't give a shit, I need a smog check.  I also need to provide them with the name and physical address of the finance company.  I also need to provide the exact price I paid for the car and how much sales tax I paid.   FML, I don't have any of that shit on me and it didn't say I needed it anywhere on their website.  Oh, and I also have to get a VIN verification which required me to go wait in another line for half an hour and have some doofus there just write my vin down and make sure it matched the vin on the door.  

But since I didn't have the smog check done or the bullshit I needed for my driver's license, or any of the other info they wanted, I had to leave, go pay $60 for the fucking smog check on a two month old car, then go home, dig through all my moving boxes, and scrounge up something else with my CA address on it to prove I'm me and then find all my paperwork from when I bought the car.   I should have just told them I'm an illegal with no documents.  They would have given me the red carpet treatment.  

Three hours later I have the new set of documents and info they wanted so back I went.  Fortunately they got me in quickly because I had already been there with an appointment in the morning.  I should have known...they were just lubing my asshole up for what was to come next. 

Much to my surprise, I had to take the written test for the driver's license.  I also had to take the motorcycle test because I have a motorcycle license from FL and want to keep that.   I passed the tests so no big deal, but still a minor pain in the ass.

Now here comes the rape.....

When we get to the car registration, the girl puts on a big smile and says "Your driver's license will be $33 and your car registration will be $2,000."  I was literally speechless.  Two fucking thousand dollars to register my car??  Yep.  Apparently if you bring a car into Cali that's less than a year old, they charge you sales tax all over again even though I just fucking paid it in FL!!!!!  So, because I was honest and tried to do the right thing, I get ass raped by California.   Unbelievable that they charged me tax on something I bought in another fucking state and already paid the tax on.  Talk about double taxation!!!!

Welcome to California, now bend over!   Fuckin hell.  

I should have done what everyone else does and just kept my shit registered in FL.  

So this was how the great state of California welcomed me.  It's mindboggling how a state with these types of taxes and business practices is always fucking broke.  Most mismanaged state in the country, imo.  

And thus ends my rant for the day.  Now I'm going to go take a xanax, chase it down with some scotch, and to spray preparation H all over my asshole.   

DMV's nationwide are the scourge of this Earth.

I have never had a pleasant time at any DMV

Rahjai MD - DMV's nationwide are the scourge of this Earth.

The process sucked but I could have lived with it.  It's expected.  But $2000 fucking dollars to register a car?  Fucks sake, that's robbery.  

I made up mind years ago to never live there.

That's crazy about the taxes, everything else is more or less normal in other states.

Welcome to California! I won't be back anytime soon, so there's that!

you are in sd right ?  what city did you end up choosing

That 's not even including the new, additional car tax & gas tax they are voting in.

The only reason this happens is because very few in California pays attention to state politics. We have the worst legislature in the U.S.. Bar none. People like Kevin De Leon who are advocates for the citizens of Mexico far more than they are for citizens of the state.

We also pay guys $100K a year to fill potholes. Well ONE fills the potholes, the other six stand around. Then everyone spikes their pension with massive overtime the year before they retire at 55.

Go figure why we're broke.

Lol. Gotta pay your fair share.... Lol.  God bless President Trump and the Conservative state I live in. 

May have missed the thread, but why did you move here??? I am still trying to justify leaving. 

Sorry to hear that op. I moved to Georgia from texas and kept my license and everything on my moms address in texas as i could get my tags when i visit. Co workers that tried to be honest got fucked just like you because they charged them tax on what they felt the car was worth and not what the value was. A friend had an old 2011 Mustang that they valued at 16k when it was worth about 5 and he had to pay up the ass. I moved back to texas (fuck yes) and lived happily ever after

Welcome to Cali. Jerry Brown hates you.

angryinch - 
Rahjai MD - DMV's nationwide are the scourge of this Earth.

The process sucked but I could have lived with it.  It's expected.  But $2000 fucking dollars to register a car?  Fucks sake, that's robbery.  

CA DMV is the worst.  I lease a vehicle and had to pay tax (8.75%) on the whole amount of the purchase.  At the end of the lease I bought the car and DMV charged me an 8.75% tax again.  I asked why I have to pay double sales tax and they said the second tax is a Use tax not a sales tax.  I asked WTF is a use tax.  She just said "I don't know" and stuck me with an additional $1095.  Fuckin crooks!

Why would anyone choose to live In that fuckhole of a state.  

Tell them you want Sanctuary Status and they'll waive all that shit...for real.

Bro, illegal mexicans can walk across the border and drive cars with stolen plates no insurance and no driver's license whatsoever with a budweiser can in their hands, and you were worried about converting your legal driver's license in 10 days?

LOL.

Why the fuck would you move to California?

AI, stop pulling a fucking Justin Treadaeu and answer the fucking question, WHY DID YOU MOVE TO CALIFORNIA you fucking fruity faggot

Moke - Bro, illegal mexicans can walk across the border and drive cars with stolen plates no insurance and no driver's license whatsoever with a budweiser can in their hands, and you were worried about converting your legal driver's license in 10 days?

Unfortunately in CA everything is all about a cash grab so theres no sense in going after illegal immigrants.  Not only do they not have money, they are a cash burden to arrest prosecute and incarcerate.  If you tax and fine the the law abiding citizens then you can make some serious dough.  This state's fucked like that.  

Moke - Bro, illegal mexicans can walk across the border and drive cars with stolen plates no insurance and no driver's license whatsoever with a budweiser can in their hands, and you were worried about converting your legal driver's license in 10 days?

Stupid me.  As much shit as I talk on here, at the end of the day I'm a law abiding citizen and don't really like to game the system just for the sake of it.  But after having had a few of these experiences, I can definitely understand why others would.  I think after a year goes by I'm going to switch my shit back to FL.  I have a relative living in the place I own there so I can just use that address.   Car registration is cheaper, insurance is cheaper, I can renew my license by mail and have my relative send it to Cali.  I should have just kept my shit registered there.  

The only things that motivated me to switch it over was that my job requires me to have a valid CA driver's license.  But I could have done that and kept my registration in FL.  Had I done that, I would have also been exempt from Cali's absurd window tint laws.  

Lesson learned.  Seriously, after a reasonable amount of time, I think a year is good, next time I go to FL to visit I'll set up an appointment at their DMV and transfer at least my registration back there although...that may be a problem if they need the vehicle to physically be there.   will have to figure that one out...  Who knows...maybe I'll just live with it for a while and see how it goes.  I can change it back at any time.  Still have plenty of relatives in FL and can use either their addresses or my own address over there.