I Think Mike Mignola May Be My All-Time Favorite..

I really dug his artwork back in the "Gotham by gaslight" days and I even remember picking up his "Fafhrd and Grey Mouser" comic adaptations just because i loved the art.  With his "Hellboy" stuff, he really did make me a fan.

However, his work in the last 5 or 6 years has been really good... and consistently so.  "Amazing screw-On Head" is my favorite single-issue comic ever and he hasn't written anything within the confines of his extended universe that isn't well done overall... from "BPRD" to "Lobster Johnson" to "Lord baltimore: Plague Ships" to "Sir Edwrad Grey: Witchfinder" to all the other hellboy-centric stuff... I think he may be my all time favorite now.

Thoughts?  Anyone else a big Mignola fan?

Absolutely. One of the all-time greats. Not only is he a phenomenal -- and phenomenally distinctive -- artist, but he has possibly the best sense of design in comics.

Corum, Wolverine in the Savage Land, and of course the perfection that is Hellboy -- Mignola rules.

I enjoy Mignola's work a lot.  However, is Hellboy going anywhere?  Seems like the plot hasn't advanced much for the past 5 years?

Mignola is great, I love B.P.R.D.

east - Well in the past year it's been revealed that Hellboy is a direct descendant of the King of England.

I'm a fan of his,I think Eduardo Risso uses the sillouette style a little more creatively but Mignola is also a brilliant writer and I love the way he resurrects old fables and tales from Europe and around the world.

You can see his main influences "Moebius"and "Jack Kirby" coming through but they are not overly obvious to someone who didnt know that they were.

There are some great interviews and convention videos on youtube with him in.

Seems like a nice guy to top it all off.

Got started on Mignola with Cosmic Odyssey and been a fan ever since.

I was slow to pick up on Hellboy but now I love it. I am also a huge Guy Davis fan.

east - I enjoy Mignola's work a lot.  However, is Hellboy going anywhere?  Seems like the plot hasn't advanced much for the past 5 years?

Ummmm... have you even been reading it?  HUGE leaps and bounds the past few years.

HUGE.

One of my all-time favorites.  His line economy and sense of design are nuts. Good high-contrast stuff is SO hard to do well, and he just owns it.  I love Risso's stuff too, but you can tell he's heavily influenced by Mignola.

On a side note, I met Mike Mignola a few times at the San Diego Comicon years ago.  He was a pretty cool guy, and seemed to appreciate his fans.

Here's some random art, just 'cause I love it:

Big fan of his style. Love Risso as well.

Always thought that Jim Lee should have evolved by taking influences from Mignola. I've seen some of Whilce Portacio's silouhette-style and it's pretty good.

I love his style. Too bad he only does the Hellboy covers now.

Liyon - Big fan of his style. Love Risso as well.

Always thought that Jim Lee should have evolved by taking influences from Mignola. I've seen some of Whilce Portacio's silouhette-style and it's pretty good.

Lee attempted this w/ Deathblow...it looked like shit.

Cosmic Odyssey was incredible. Absolutely no other artist knows how to say so much w/ so little. It's amazing and he knows exactly what he's doing...Risso is damn good too, but he's no Mignola w/ his use of that style and he's clearly influenced by Mignola himself.

^that one panel with the badguy and the yellow paint brush illustrates your point well.

"Lee attempted this w/ Deathblow...it looked like shit."

Seemed like Lee was aping more of Frank Miller/Sin City than just simply adding another dimension to his own personal style.

Hmm, I image searched Risso after reading those posts and don't see much comparison to Mignola at all; looks way more like Frank Miller to me.