I used to be a cop. AMA

If your ability to make a thread is an indicator, I'm guessing you didn't voluntarily resign. Phone Post 3.0

MarsMan -
Mihow - WHO THE FUCK IS BETH Phone Post 3.0
Can't blame her for doing Beth.... Beth was hot back in the day... Phone Post 3.0
Almost spit some milk out on this one....lol Phone Post 3.0

MdGeist - 
mglaw -
MdGeist - Got a question about those laptops you guys have in your car:

Exactly what kind of information can you access? Is that information shared state wide or is just local within your PD?

Is the data on those laptops stored locally on the machine or do you have a wireless connection to get real time updates? Phone Post 3.0

You can access...

Criminal History
Wants and Warrants
Driving History
License info
Vehicle Info
All state wide

you can also communicate car to car,
car to dispatch,
car to office

You can use them to

Create citations
Keep notes for those stops

Switch over to the internet

There may be more things you can do these days, I honestly don't remember.

IMO, the computers are nothing but a BIG fucking liability with respect to being a distraction in the car.
Thanks for the info. Really interesting to know.

This may be to techy of a question: But is all of that data transmitted to squad cars that are within range of the radio towers at police stations?

Or do PDs rely on cellular networks to pull that data? Phone Post 3.0

no, it transmits everywhere including out of state.

Back in 98,99 when I was in a car, we would hit some dead spots in certain areas and couldn't transmit but that technology has vastly improved since then.

MdGeist -
mglaw -

Exactly what kind of information can you access? Is that information shared state wide or is just local within your PD?

Is the data on those laptops stored locally on the machine or do you have a wireless connection to get real time updates? Phone Post 3.0

You can access...

Criminal History
Wants and Warrants
Driving History
License info
Vehicle Info
All state wide

car to dispatch,
car to office

You can use them to

Create citations

IMO, the computers are nothing but a BIG fucking liability with respect to being a distraction in the car.

This may be to techy of a question: But is all of that data transmitted to squad cars that are within range of the radio towers at police stations?

Cellular. Phone Post 3.0

GOD DAMNIT MAN, WHY DID YOU QUIT Phone Post 3.0

TFK_Tom O'Bedlam - Yeah you also said "you neither don't know..." so it's hard to focus on anything but that in your post. Phone Post 3.0
Ehhhh...Mihow is in the right here, lol. Phone Post 3.0

What is the incentive for giving out DUI's? Are you guys encouraged to give those out? Is there a reward after you get so many?

Same for tickets. Im
sure there are no quotas. But are police officers that hit a certain amount of tickets a month more likely to be promoted?

One time I was pulled over near riverside Ca. The cop made me do all the test made my friend do all the test for people being suspicious of DUI do? Then he made him blow into the breathalyzer. He finally had enough and said this " get the fuck out of here, I'm not trying to write tickets today, I want to get an arrest" and let us go. If you get a certain amount of arrest per month is there a higher chance of promotion?

Have you ever heard of a cop arresting another cop because he was overstepping his bounds?

If you pulled a fellow officer over what are the curtesis you extend to them? Let them off with warnings for drinking and driving, speeding, etc?

When a person goes to file a complaint against a police officer, what is the protocol? I once went and tried this and they all ganged up on me and made it seem like I was the criminal and not the victim? How are the investigations conducted when you file a complaint.

Here is another story. My sister went to UNLV. In Las Vegas. She went on a date with a cop and called it quits after one date. After that cop loses his shit and begins texting her that he is gonna give her a DUI or plant drugs in her car. He keeps threatening her. She goes to file a complaint and same thing that happens to me happens to her. She shows the supervisor the text and informs them that she has forwarded the text to her brother in California and if something happens to her he will make sure it gets out. Cop changes his tune and says the man will never bother her again. Do you think this was the right response? I was thinking they man should have been fired and made em example off, I'm assuming he was just given a talk on why you shouldn't send those types of text Phone Post 3.0

Marge Gunderson - 
MdGeist -
mglaw -

You can access...

Criminal History
Wants and Warrants
Driving History
License info
Vehicle Info
All state wide

car to dispatch,
car to office

You can use them to

Create citations

Cellular. Phone Post 3.0

99% sure it was Wireless.

Types of text because they can be used against you. What would have been a fair punishment you think?

Is there ever a time when a civilian can use force against an unruly police officer? Can a civilian defend him/herself? Or is your only choice to take the beating/ abuse they throw your way. Hope they don't kill you and try to fight it later?

Thanks for doing this. Phone Post 3.0

This made no sense. Let me rephrase.
"One time I was pulled over near riverside Ca. The cop made me do all the test made my friend do all the test for people being suspicious of DUI do? Then he made him blow into the breathalyzer. He finally had enough and said this " get the fuck out of here, I'm not trying to write tickets today, I want to get an arrest" and let us go. If you get a certain amount of arrest per month is there a higher chance of promotion?"

I was a passenger friend was driving, he was pulled over and made to do all these things. I sat there with my mouth shut and just kept my hands on the dash the whole time. I don't fuck around when it comes to the cops. Everything is yes officer no officer and my hands are always either on the glovebox or up . Nowhere near my pockets or waistline. Phone Post 3.0

mglaw -
Marge Gunderson - 
MdGeist -
mglaw -

You can access...

Criminal History
Wants and Warrants
Driving History
License info
Vehicle Info
All state wide

car to dispatch,
car to office

You can use them to

Create citations

Cellular. Phone Post 3.0

99% sure it was Wireless.

Good stuff.

You guys have been ten times more informative than slacker OP Phone Post 3.0

Was 9/11 inside job? Phone Post 3.0

BEST. AMA. EVER!!

Here's my question, why would you make an AMA and then not answer any of the fucking questions?

hated to highjack...I was just able to answer some specifics.

The OP is lucky he is out of LE and probably doesn't know it yet

In Phone Post 3.0

Well I for one am extremely impressed with the well thought answers the OP has provided. I had no idea how detailed and accurate the answers could be. I am now smarter for reading all these well thought out responses you provided OP. Phone Post 3.0

4L

Relax guys, OP probably meant TMA...just kidding Phone Post 3.0