"I wake up in a house built by slaves" - Obama

First Lady Praises NY City College Diversity at Commencement

First lady Michelle Obama told graduates at New York's City College Friday that the diversity of their institution affirms the viability of the American Dream.

Obama's address, to more than 3,000 members of the Class of 2016 at the 169-year-old public college, was the final commencement speech of her tenure as first lady.

In praising the school's diversity, she told the graduates that they're "living, breathing proof that the American Dream endures in our time," and linked their story to her family's.

"It's the story that I witness every single day, when I wake up in a house that was built by slaves, and I watch my daughters. Two beautiful black young women head off to school, waving goodbye to their father, the president of the United States, the son of a man from Kenya who came here to America for the same reasons as many of you: to get an education and improve his prospects in life," Obama said. Phone Post 3.0

https://www.whitehousehistory.org/questions/did-slaves-build-the-white-house

Is that not accurate? Phone Post 3.0

Phone Post 3.0

It was built by blacks, Irish and Scots immigrants. Designed by a mick as well. Mrs. Obama would leave out the Irish since she has expressed her distaste for them in the past. Phone Post 3.0

Obama isn't descended from slaves, so I don't think the whole black man in a house built by slaves is actually that great of a point.

] The main residence, as well as foundations of the house, were built largely by enslaved and free African-American laborers, as well as employed Europeans.[14] Much of the other work on the house was performed by immigrants, many not yet with citizenship. The sandstone walls were erected by Scottishimmigrants, employed by Hoban, Phone Post 3.0

At most. 25% of them builders were slaves.

I'm sure the dirty Irish and scots did the dangerous work Phone Post 3.0

Nitecrawler - Phone Post 3.0
Fucken love Bronson Phone Post 3.0

As a Hibernian and Caledonian descendant. It pains me everyday to know the roads that the English drive on, were built by slaves. Phone Post 3.0

The slaves were great builders then. My house is only 20 years old and already having to redo stuff. Take pride in that OBAMA!! Phone Post 3.0

Then stop living in it you bitch

She lives in a house built by enslaved black people. There is now a black family in charge. Sounds like she was making a point about how times have changed. What is wrong with this?

And lol at 'but they HIRED Europeans to build it too!' Phone Post 3.0

He's also waking up in a house that abolished slavery. What's his point? Phone Post 3.0

HolyHackBBCZack - She lives in a house built by enslaved black people. There is now a black family in charge. Sounds like she was making a point about how times have changed. What is wrong with this?

I think the point is that both of them have a history of public racial divisivness.  They could have used their positions for unifying instead of dividing.  Perhaps instead of Hope and Change he should have used the slogan KILL WHITEY

HolyHackBBCZack - She lives in a house built by enslaved black people. There is now a black family in charge. Sounds like she was making a point about how times have changed. What is wrong with this?

No. European servants were forced to do so, so that one day they may get citizenship Phone Post 3.0

mijo - He's also waking up in a house that abolished slavery. What's his point? Phone Post 3.0

Her point is that she is "living, breathing proof that the American Dream endures[.]"

Soup and Beer -
HolyHackBBCZack - She lives in a house built by enslaved black people. There is now a black family in charge. Sounds like she was making a point about how times have changed. What is wrong with this?

I think the point is that both of them have a history of public racial divisivness.  They could have used their positions for unifying instead of dividing.  Perhaps instead of Hope and Change he should have used the slogan KILL WHITEY

(moron)

HolyHackBBCZack - She lives in a house built by enslaved black people. There is now a black family in charge. Sounds like she was making a point about how times have changed. What is wrong with this?

It's such a nifty euphemism. The Scots and Irish were "hired" but the blacks were enslaved. I'm sure they were treated the same. Like shit. But that goes against SJW/White Guilt/BLM reality to point out people considered "white" to modern people were treated like shit in the past.

Michelle Obama has been reported to have expressed in the past her distaste for the Irish in Chicago. She's from the South Side which is now predominantly AA by still has a couple Irish enclaves and reporters have said she expressed her annoyance about that. Phone Post 3.0

Yawn. I don't see the problem with what he said, considering it's true for the most part. Nothing to get offended over guys. C'mon. Phone Post 3.0