I want to learn drums.

Want a new hobby.

Any suggestions on where to start? And what to buy?

*have played guitar for 24 years and have taught music theory. 

Learn rolls: 1, 5 and 7
Flams
Paradiddles
Flamadiddles
Etc

Then learn how to play a set.

dpro2716 - Learn rolls: 1, 5 and 7
Flams
Paradiddles
Flamadiddles
Etc

Then learn how to play a set.

This is more or less what I came to say.

Get a decent set for around $500-600 off Amazon or Musician's Friend. Look at reviews and stuff. The basic sets are pretty similar as long as you're in that range. You'll want to update the ride cymbal later, but that's not necessary.

Get that set, soundproof the area as well as possible, get some instructional like Tommy Igoe and start playing. Work on your feet, especially the bass drum.

You'll have to choose between a 5 piece or 4 piece set. If you move it much get the 4 piece. I think there's a decent set from Quest Love out in that price range.

Questlove 4 piece set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44GYiw1VsKc

I learned by playing along with mtv

Can't do that now

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vic-Firth/Single-Sided-Practice-Pad-6-in-1274115062330.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWMWXGP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhbTx2-CK2AIVDdVkCh3bmg3jEAQYASABEgK39vD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid%5E78244844802-device%5Em-plaid%5E199138704042-sku%5E1274115062330@ADL4GC-adType%5EPLA

these are awesome. Helps you practice your double taps and souch virtually in silence. They saved my neighbors ears when I lived in an apartment. Also you can set it anywhere basically and its very mobile so it's a good way to allow you to practice more because it can come with you more often

Stick Control, a practice pad, & a couple lessons before you sink a grip on a kit you don't know anything about.

Number one, rent a drum kit for a month from a music store, get a few lessons, if you dont like, it would only cost you under $100 

Real deal practical life possibility to not get yourself dumped and or murdered if you have neighbors and a house with people in it is to get an electronic kit and play with headphones, and get a PA if you want it amplified 

The key to getting better at drumming is to drum regularly 

Find a practice room in your town maybe rent out an hour with a kit to see if you like, drums suck without a lesson or two and a gameplane 

Rent drums/get lessons/practice

Jam nights are also a good place to get drum time in 

Back when I was slightly more retarded I bought a $5000 pearl drum kit having never played drums 

I sold that kit for $500 two months later, got paid $350 up front and ended up throwing a rock through his living room window in the middle of the night for the balance 

If I could go back in time, I would punch myself so fucking hard 

Learn the moeller technique and the push/pull technique. Try french and german grip and see what feels comfortable. Get a practice pad and learn, drags, flams, paradiddles, single and double strokes.  If you understand theory that is all you need to be good.

Watched Bad Santa again a few nights ago. I always laugh my ass off when the kid tells him he wants a drum set for Christmas and Billy Bob says, “I’m sure the old man will love that.”

also buy used and if you buy a vintage kit, make sure it has wooden rerings inside them.

"Learn the moeller technique and the push/pull technique. "

You want him thinking advanced techniques on day one? Can we at least confirm he's capable of counting to 3 & 4 first?

BarkLikeADog - "Learn the moeller technique and the push/pull technique. "

You want him thinking advanced techniques on day one? Can we at least confirm he's capable of counting to 3 & 4 first?

Moeller is not advanced, there are advanced applications.  I teach and we do an outreach program for handicapped kids and I teach the moeller to people who can't speak and have the brain development of a five year old. Its the first thing every drummer should learn after subdivisions and grip imo. Think of it this way - same as grip - why spend time practicing a paradiddle just to fix bad technique in the future? It's super easy to start the correct way:  paradiddle = down (R), up (L) did-dle (RR), or a simple alternating triplet would be Down (R) Up (L) Tap (R) Down (L) Up (R) Tap (L) super easy. It's beginner drums, plus the moeller is insidious because it's muscle memory, so once you learn to paradiddle the correct way your brain will subconciously transfer the technique to all other rudiments -- another reason to start doing it day one. 

Lol at anyone telling you to learn tequniques from day one 

Heres the deal, every real drummer will tell you to just beat the shit out of your drums, when you get bored of that, take a lesson 

Thelonious -
BarkLikeADog - "Learn the moeller technique and the push/pull technique. "

Moeller is not advanced, there are advanced applications.  I teach and we do an outreach program for handicapped kids and I teach the moeller to people who can't speak and have the brain development of a five year old. Its the first thing every drummer should learn after subdivisions and grip imo. Think of it this way - same as grip - why spend time practicing a paradiddle just to fix bad technique in the future? It's super easy to start the correct way:  paradiddle = down (R), up (L) did-dle (RR), or a simple alternating triplet would be Down (R) Up (L) Tap (R) Down (L) Up (R) Tap (L) super easy. It's beginner drums, plus the moeller is insidious because it's muscle memory, so once you learn to paradiddle the correct way your brain will subconciously transfer the technique to all other rudiments -- another reason to start doing it day one. 

Good god you are a nerd

Get every rock band game and an ion drum rocker...... you will be amazing within days....

forget books. just play, foo