I wish more fighters were like Ben Askren

Losing is devastating. In a 2010 interview, UFC Hall of Famer Rashad Evans talked about it.

"The best advice I ever got from a fighter was Randy Couture. It was right before I had to fight Chuck Liddell. I went to Randy’s room: 'Dang Randy, man I’m so nervous man, I’m just so nervous!' and then he said: 'Rashad, what you’re nervous about is the outcome tomorrow, you don’t know if you’re gonna win, you don’t know if you’re gonna get knocked out. What you need to do is, you need to make friends with the worst outcome. Make friends with the worst outcome and understand that no matter what happens tomorrow, whether you go and win dramatically or you get knocked out the worst you ever been, that, the sun’s still gonna come up, your family’s still gonna love you and you’re gonna have another day to live. Just go out there and have fun. Once you make friends with the worst outcome then the rest is easy!'”

Few fighters show that kind of poise, and too often what follows a loss is a series of excuses, references to flu and staph, refereeing and judging, poor weight cuts and the opponent's weight, cracked skulls and torn ligaments, and on and on. Chael Sonnen sometimes employed a novel approach, declaring that he had actually won.

Less than a year ago Ben Askren suffered the fastest loss in UFC history, then lost the Fight of the Night vs. Demian Maia in an all-time great BJJ vs. wrestling matchup, vs. Demain Maia. And then he retired.

But Askren has consistently responded to loss with humor, as he did after UFC on ESPN 10.

https://twitter.com/Benaskren/status/1271962620728311817

Saturday's event opened with two Performance Bonus winning victories - Tyson Nam over Zarrukh Adashev in 32 seconds, and Christian Aguilera over Anthony Ivy in 59 seconds. Those wins, of course, had the other side of the highlight - two fighters lost brutally.

Maybe Askren should have been more bitter, found the losses impossible to process and thus made excuses, and would have come back better. Or maybe, at 35, he would have fought on an eventually suffered dain bramage. Regardless, his response to his record-breaking loss shows grace, a rare quality in our sport.

5 Likes

Askren is the man. I wish he was still fighting.

4 Likes

Do some fact checking. Uncle Chael never lost,not even a round.

3 Likes
ShanTheMan - 

![](upload://gPlugqMkMTmSTdMMrqmdZFxXWQK.jpeg)

4 Likes

That reminds me that I haven't noticed CRE around in a while. Another guy who didn't let criticism get to him (at least, not that I noticed).

2 Likes

Maybe I’m a little dyslexic but every time I read the name Christian Aguilera, I see Christina Aguilera

2 Likes

Ben dishes out the best advice for athletes constantly on his facebook pages...  He’s going to make a tremendous college coach if his confidence can translate.

1 Like

Ben is awesome. He gave us a great year in the UFC!

Stu Cazzo -

Ben dishes out the best advice for athletes constantly on his facebook pages...  He’s going to make a tremendous college coach if his confidence can translate.

He was an assistant for many years and did a good job. He was on staff at Mizzou to help coach Max to a national title and Arizona State. He currently has 3 academies he runs/coaches at. Additionally, Ben is the Head Coach at the Wisconsin Regional Training Center.

He has publically said multiple  times he doesn't want to uproot his family for a college coaching job unless it was the right job and I doubt one he would accept is opening anytime soon.

I know you didn't lose those couple of "fights" in Bellator, Chael. Those were fixed fights. You wanted the money, I get it.

1 Like
TheChinInChina -
Stu Cazzo -

He was an assistant for many years and did a good job. He was on staff at Mizzou to help coach Max to a national title and Arizona State. He currently has 3 academies he runs/coaches at. Additionally, Ben is the Head Coach at the Wisconsin Regional Training Center.

He has publically said multiple  times he doesn't want to uproot his family for a college coaching job unless it was the right job and I doubt one he would accept is opening anytime soon.

He was definitely in the running for Wisconsin...he interviewed for it.

Stu Cazzo -
TheChinInChina -
Stu Cazzo -

He was definitely in the running for Wisconsin...he interviewed for it.

He did and lost out to Bono... he took the consolation prize for Wisconsin RTC which is in the Wisconsin room. He'll still work with the Wisconsin team and their RTC athletes. It also gives him the flexibility to run his academies, be a voice on Flo, etc.... 

1 Like

His vlogs are fun. I met him in Vegas, he was super cool

Rashad got a little too friendly with the worst possible outcome.

1 Like
ShanTheMan -

I can personally attest to this.

2 Likes

I wish he'd make a comback.

SuperFightFan - Ben is awesome. He gave us a great year in the UFC!

Sarcasm is fun!

Askren was the most over hyped, overrated fighter in the history of the UFC and possibly MMA. His fights were a bore fest. 

Askren will always be known for those five seconds. That KO defined his career. 

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA8VGKSFUpd/?igshid=k15vvuvdcv5j

1 Like
305-onpoint -

Askren was the most over hyped, overrated fighter in the history of the UFC and possibly MMA. His fights were a bore fest. 

Askren will always be known for those five seconds. That KO defined his career. 

Americans only like him or Chael because they are all American great white hopes taking it to international fighters. 

both boring as fuck fighters. Chael a cheat and piece of shit outside the cage and Ben zero personality