I wonder, Do Atheists do.....?

do Atheists do the Ol':  "God you know I'm not a prayn' man, BUT......." when they find themselves feeling a miserable wretch in some rough patch?

1 Like

I should probably also include FAIRWEATHER Xians in this question for when the weather is GOOD they behave like scoundrels and then soon as the weather turns they promise to change their ways.........until of course the weather is pleasant and then they resume their old ways!  

Nope, Why pray? It doesn't do  or alter anything. After watching about 12 episodes of Blackish (Stacie Ross Ellis crush) I went around saying "Thank you black jesus". 

4 Likes

I'm an Athiest, but I'm also open minded enough to believe something higher might exist. Here's far too much unexplained to rule anything out completely. There's been a couple of times when I've said "I know you're not up there, but if you are"..

Theres been far more times when I've said "if you are up there, you're a prick" 

3 Likes
Dreville79 -

I'm an Athiest, but I'm also open minded enough to believe something higher might exist. Here's far too much unexplained to rule anything out completely. There's been a couple of times when I've said "I know you're not up there, but if you are"..

Are you more of an agnostic?

Jack Carter - 
Dreville79 -

Most atheists are.

It's less 'I'm 100% sure that there is no god' and more 'in my life thus far, I've seen no evidence to suggest that there's a god.'

theraskal - 

do Atheists do the Ol':  "God you know I'm not a prayn' man, BUT......." when they find themselves feeling a miserable wretch in some rough patch?

Do Christians sometimes do the ol' "Poseidon you know I've been worshipping another god, but....." when they go on a boat?

4 Likes

Never.

I've never prayed since I was a little kid.

saglv -
Jack Carter - 
Dreville79 -

Most atheists are.

It's less 'I'm 100% sure that there is no god' and more 'in my life thus far, I've seen no evidence to suggest that there's a god.'

This.

I don't profess to know one way or the other. I'm not that arrogant.

1 Like
Altofsky -
saglv -
Jack Carter - 
Dreville79 -

Most atheists are.

This.

This.  Most are agnostic athiests. 

There certainly could be a god, i just dont believe in one as it hasnt revealed itself to me.

Gnostic athiests are the most obnoxious,  smarmy fucks on the planet.  Theyre so enlightened and think everyone else is an idiot.  They have usually watched a bunch of neil degrasse tyson clips on youtube and profess to be knowledgeable in astrophysics too.

I indirectly know several of them.

1 Like

There are no atheists in a fox hole. 

1 Like
EFM -
Altofsky -
saglv -
Jack Carter - 
Dreville79 -

Most atheists are.

This.

This.  Most are agnostic athiests. 

There certainly could be a god, i just dont believe in one as it hasnt revealed itself to me.

Gnostic athiests are the most obnoxious,  smarmy fucks on the planet.  Theyre so enlightened and think everyone else is an idiot.  They have usually watched a bunch of neil degrasse tyson clips on youtube and profess to be knowledgeable in astrophysics too.

I indirectly know several of them.

Correct indeed.

I don't understand the idea of pushing religious/spiritual beliefs/non-beliefs on others. I have never once tried to convince someone to hold my views.

There are atheists who will jump down throats at the drop of a hat. Almost more annoying than being told you need to be 'saved'.

I find it best to simply leave shit like that alone and just be nice to people. I'll bow my head for grace if I'm at a Christian's table. I'll wear a yarmulke if invited to Temple. I'll stand and kneel at funeral services. That's just respectful of the people who are hosting you. But I'll never push my beliefs on them the same way I'd ask they not push theirs on me. That's just being nice, IMO.

1 Like

Do Christians pray to Allah or the Hindu gods in case they are wrong?

In my darkest moments I've found myself in my head seeking guidance from deceased loved ones but never a higher power. Both probably make just as little sense as the other

Pokanghoya - Do Christians pray to Allah or the Hindu gods in case they are wrong?

Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all believe in the same god.  Hindu is quite a bit different.

1 Like

<blockquote>EFM - <span id='userPost64762374' class='User-325982'><blockquote>Pokanghoya - Do Christians pray to Allah or the Hindu gods in case they are wrong?</blockquote><p>Christianity, Judaism, and Islam all believe in the same god.  Hindu is quite a bit different.</p></span></blockquote><br /> The Triune god that most Protestants, and Catholics, believe in is completely different than the Muslim god.

Eskimo - 

Wrong.

3 Likes
Eskimo - 

Weird that all those Christians in fox holes still die.

3 Likes
sanguine cynic -
Eskimo - 

Weird that all those Christians in fox holes still die.

Thats a silly argument.  Pious people die violently all the time.  Most religions acknowledged a persons time is their time determined by god and not always able to be understood.  Others believe god doesnt interfere in this world at that level.