Ideas and input on becoming a sports writer

I’m ready for real and expected funny OG answers but this is what I am most passionate about and know eventually I will get my break. Anyone know of anyone that has done so without a journalism or related degree? Any and all tips or info would be greatly appreciated. I have sent articles to a lot of sites/companies very recently so haven’t got any feedback/responses yet. Bring it on!!!!

According to a guy I just heard on the meateater podcast it sucks and he changed careers.

Why dont you post something you wrote so we can check it out?

You’re better off writing about things you know a great deal about - trannies 

Tried the tranny route, didn’t have much success! 

Here’s one I posted on the OG a little while ago 

http://sportstalkuninterrupted.com/football.html

I read the first paragraph.

The first two sentences are short and choppy. You should craft your opening better.

Why is "Glory" capitalized in the third sentence?

Forth sentence is awkward. Why would you say "known as Jason Garrett".

Fifth sentence also reads strange to me. Why don't you ever say Jerry Jones' full name? You just keep referring to him as "jerry"

"Let's be fair though, and break down both sides of possible reasons why he should have been fired, and why Jerry believes he deserves another year to prove himself in his 8th year as head coach. "

I feel something like:

"Jerry Jones has stated Jason Garrett deserves another year as head coach (his 8th!), I think we should break down both sides of the issue in a fair manner."

is a bit more smooth.

Just some feedback. I am not a writer though so take it with a grain of salt.

Sports writing is a tough job to get into right now. Websites and newspapers are laying writers off all the time because the finances of the industry are changing. 

If you don’t have a journalism background it can be done but be prepared to write for free for a while, then write for really bad pay (below the minimum wage), then if you’re good and lucky you might be able to turn it into more than that. 

Some sports writers get started up at SB Nation, where you essentially work for little ($50 a month) or nothing in exchange for a large platform where people can read your stuff. 

Ultimately, if you enjoy sports writing so much that you can make it a hobby that might someday turn into a job, then go for it, but the road is long and the pay is really bad for a while. 

Brockback Mountain - I read the first paragraph.

The first two sentences are short and choppy. You should craft your opening better.

Why is "Glory" capitalized in the third sentence?

Forth sentence is awkward. Why would you say "known as Jason Garrett".

Fifth sentence also reads strange to me. Why don't you ever say Jerry Jones' full name? You just keep referring to him as "jerry"

"Let's be fair though, and break down both sides of possible reasons why he should have been fired, and why Jerry believes he deserves another year to prove himself in his 8th year as head coach. "

I feel something like:

"Jerry Jones has stated Jason Garrett deserves another year as head coach (his 8th!), I think we should break down both sides of the issue in a fair manner."

is a bit more smooth.

Just some feedback. I am not a writer though so take it with a grain of salt.

Appreciate good and bad critiques brother. If i ever make it there’s gonna be more bad than good anyways I’m assuming! Vote up 

Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

Sports writing is a tough job to get into right now. Websites and newspapers are laying writers off all the time because the finances of the industry are changing. 

If you don’t have a journalism background it can be done but be prepared to write for free for a while, then write for really bad pay (below the minimum wage), then if you’re good and lucky you might be able to turn it into more than that. 

Some sports writers get started up at SB Nation, where you essentially work for little ($50 a month) or nothing in exchange for a large platform where people can read your stuff. 

Ultimately, if you enjoy sports writing so much that you can make it a hobby that might someday turn into a job, then go for it, but the road is long and the pay is really bad for a while. 

Didn’t know that about SB thanks for that! I have a good stable job so might be able to run with that for a little while until something sticks! Vote up as well

mihow -

do you suck massive amounts of dick and think minorities are gods?

grats, go write sports

Not while I’m writing!!!!! 

I feel like every time I drive past fox studios in LA they have a new sports show that is advertised as two guys arguing about sports.

Have you considered a sports podcast where you and a friend like argue about sporting related stuff like if people hate lebron james because of racism or just because of unchecked white privilege, 

Or like argue if caitlyn jenner is a 10 out of 10 or a 9 out of 10. 

Or like is kneeling before a football game more couragous than rosa parks? Or more heroic than storming the beach at normandy? 

We’re actually starting a podcast! But i don’t want it to be regular mainstream shit like that. I get it that gets headlines but i don’t want it to be the same old shit. Doing a lot about our local teams, and then one on national. I’ll post the links here once we start. 

never write a line that you have read before.

RKing85 - never write a line that you have read before.

I won’t go Kenny Florian for sure!