Idiots Guide: Ultimate fighting

UFCJunkie.com reports that Rich Franklin helped co-author "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ultimate Fighting".

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/07/26/rich-franklin-co-author-of-the-complete-idiots-guide-to-ultimate-fighting/

Despite all the great strides this sport has made in the last 10 years it still blow my mind that no one really agrees on what the hell this sport is called.

How ass-backwards is that?

As far as I'm concerned the sport is called "mixed martial arts" or "mma" for short, not "ultimate fighting".

If the book was titled "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Ultimate Fighting Championship" or "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the UFC" I would be fine with that as well because the title would suggest that the focus is on one particular promotion.

But phrased the way it is leaves a weird feeling with me.

Who knows. Maybe this sport is called "ultimate fighting"...

I can see it now "Chapter 11: Muay Thai's weakness? Their clinch"

http://ufcjunkie.com/2007/07/26/rich-franklin-co-author-of-the-complete-idiots-guide-to-ultimate-fighting/

well, it's not exactly marketed to the educated fan, so ultimate fighting makes sense.

'An action-packed resource to the ultimate name in contact sports'.. They covered themselves pretty well IMO.

chapter 2, pg 55: "it may be advisable for a fighter to start a fight from one knee, so that he doesn't get kicked by the other fighter. when giving this advice to a fighter, it is imperative that the coach keeps a straight face."

Guy Mezger help co-author the idiot's guide to kickboxing several years back. It even had a decent MMA section posing as a self-defense section.

It looks like the book is being promoted by the UFC so it makes sense to throw "Ultimate Fighting" in huge fonts on the cover since it's essentially the biggest brand in the sport.

I want to get a copy of that book.

> If the book was titled "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Ultimate Fighting Championship" or "The Complete Idiot's Guide to the UFC"  I would be fine with that as well because the title would suggest that the focus is on one particular promotion.

Look closer at the cover... the "Ultimate Fighting" logo they use is the registered Zuffa one.

well, if your refering to the UFC then its ultimate fighting since they trademarked the name.... its only for them.

anywhere else in the world its MMA

I just noticed today while watching the IFL on TV that alot of fighters list 'mixed martial arts' as there "style"

that really pisses me off, talk about mis-educating the public!!!

I'll browse through it in Chapters.

You might as well get used to "Ultimate Fighting". Zuffa has a marketing machine behind "Ultimate Fighting" while MMA just has a bunch of keyboard warriors and internet trolls pushing it.

if they wanted to sell more books , they should have put Chuck or Tito , or Randy in there instead of Franklin. IMO

I saw this book at my local supercenter, the "ultimate fighting" book is past the q-tip isle, past the styrofoam containers, in between the post-its and the tupperware. I got a papercut from the book so I put some vasoline on the cut then a band-aid and threw the book away in the dumpster outside, then went and played with my frisbee.

I could go on and on.....

Can someone please tell me the chapter Rich wrote about defeating the Kickboxer by scooting at him on one knee? I cant seem to locate it in here????

If a former world champion (who was probably champ when this deal was inked) with a record of 23-2-0 with a ufc record of 9-1 is not qualified to write a book about fighting then I don't know who is.

congrats to rich!

sandy vagina alert

wait.... this is Rich Franklin's guide? Does that make him a Complete Idiot???