If a Cop Stops You at a Festival

Here's a good chart to memorize. Actually, it's probably good information no matter where a cop stops you.

http://showbams.com/2014/04/30/festival-lawyer-a-cop-stops-you-at-a-festival-the-know-your-rights-infographic/

Phone Post 3.0

PENIS Phone Post 3.0

+1 for penis. Also, the "detention" spot on the flowchart is missing a logic branch, I think.

Good luck trying to exercise your constitutional rights.  Any jackboot worth his paid administrative leave is going to do whatever he wants, plant evidence, make false accusations, and rough you up for your trouble anyway.

LOL @ cops respecting rights.

just hope it's this cop

judd apatow bill hader gif

Be prepared to be fucked by the long dick of the law Phone Post 3.0

Just scream "AM I BEING DETAINED!?" Over and over Phone Post 3.0

I don't get the people that ask over and over "am I free to leave?"

Obviously not fuck nugget or the cop would tell you to leave. Phone Post 3.0

Adam_Bay - I don't get the people that ask over and over "am I free to leave?"

Obviously not fuck nugget or the cop would tell you to leave. Phone Post 3.0
When people are asking that they are usually also asking what the reason they are stopped for which the cop isn't answering Phone Post 3.0

If you are stopped by a police officer, the first question out of your mouth should be, “Am I free to leave?”

Asking this question gets you an immediate answer as to whether you are legally “detained” or free to leave. It also puts you in the best legal position possible should you later want to challenge the legality of the police stopping you. If you challenge your detention, the officer will have to show a “reasonable suspicion” of criminal activity based only on the facts existing at the moment you said the phrase and he detained you. Nothing AFTER that moment can be used to justify the stop.

Here is a practical example of the use of the “Am I Free to leave” phrase.

“YES” = LEAVE

As you can see from the decision tool, if you get a “YES” after you ask “Am I free to leave? The only “action item” is to LEAVE.

Again, there is a legal reason for this. If you don’t leave immediately when given the chance, a judge may later rule that you were free to leave but that you chose to stay. (In other words, it was a “Consensual Encounter”). As I mentioned above, an officer never has to legally justify a “Consensual Encounter”.

In an encounter with the police, the courts require you to keep asking to leave or you may be deemed to be in a “Consensual Encounter”.

Legally, if a detention goes on long enough, it becomes an arrest even if the officer doesn’t say the magic words “You are under arrest”. Basically, if you keep asking to leave and the cop doesn’t let you go the courts say you are in the “functional equivalent” of an arrest.

Sub Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post 3.0

Isaac Bickerstaff - 

It is cute that  people think rights are real things.  

Hehehe!

Don't stop...believing!

Interesting post oblongo Phone Post 3.0

Oh man, where was this thread a couple weeks ago? We had a parade here and the cops were searching people's bags because of a shooting that happened a month prior.

Luckily I'm not black so I didn't get searched. (The only people I saw get searched were black.)

Scream "please don't rape me" over and over as loud as you can.

I'm sure that will make them uncomfortable and make them let you go. Try it. Phone Post 3.0

someonestolemysocks -

just hope it's this cop

judd apatow bill hader gif

. Phone Post 3.0