If Aleks Didn't Fight Mirko, Fedor Woulda Lost

Fedor sent his brother into the Pride ring, not to defeat Mirko Cro Cop, but to do recon for him. Aleks laid the blueprint for Fedor's strategy and actually landed harder punches than his older brother. 

The Aleks fight was the first time I recall Mirko backing into the ropes when someone started to flurry on him. 

At distance Cro Cop was able to land fast, hard kicks to the leg and body, so Aleks would come storming towards Mirko and instead of circling, Mirko would put his back on the ropes. The exchanges were awesome, Aleks ate and landed bombs, Mirko threw beautiful punching combinations, and then landed a killer LHK, but Fedor saw what his brother did, and exploited it when he fought Cro Cop.

If you rewatch Fedor-Cro Cop, it's Mirko who lands the cleaner and harder strikes throught the first 10 minutes. Fedor got wobbled badly by a left straight twice. He was able to return fire with a wild swinging foream shot and used his quickness and wrestling to recover the second time.

The popular narrative of "Fedor got the better of Mirko standing" isn't really true. Like Aleks, he used his aggression to force Cro Cop to the ropes where he was less dangerous, but the Fedor punches and kicks were flying, but Mirko wasn't getting tagged by them because he'd back the fuck up into the ropes on the defensive with Fedor in persuit. While Mirko landed the better shots, he was doing it in Fedor's fight. By the second round it was close to even, but because Fedor made Mirko fight his fight, Cro Cop was mentally defeated and was content to hold onto the closed guard for the rest of the fight.

The Emilenenko brothers broke Cro Cop and wrote the book on how to beat him.

Fedor vs Crocop had me on the edge of my seat the entire fight. Very few fights in MMA history had me that excited to see it. The anticipation leading up to that fight was intense.

The golden age of mma imo.

EvilMaster - Fedor vs Crocop had me on the edge of my seat the entire fight. Very few fights in MMA history had me that excited to see it. The anticipation leading up to that fight was intense.

The golden age of mma imo.

The pre fight Pride video package is still the best made MMA hype video.

I still can't figure out why Mirko didn't combo punch. He was so good at it, but for that fight he was content to counter with the fast left. 

I wish they had a second fight, just to see what adjustments they'd make. I think Fedor would win lopsided and use takedowns a lot. 

DYNO - Where can I view this PRIDE hype video package for Fedor vs Cro Cop ??
You can't. You had to be around then.

The closest option you have is to watch pride from when fedor came in and every fight from then on with no forwarding.

Unfortunately, for you, it's like watching the usual suspects and knowing what happens at the end. I hate it for you. Phone Post 3.0

Dude, the whole buildup to that fight was insane. When they threw up bio videos on the ceiling of the Saitama Super Arena it was electric in there.

Pride neva die!

I saw that on ppv, still a personal favorite of mine. Phone Post 3.0

"I still can't figure out why Mirko didn't combo punch. He was so good at it, but for that fight he was content to counter with the fast left. "

The Aleks fight was pretty much a totally different Mirko than we ever saw again in terms of hand combination. Did he ever even throw a combination after that? He was lighting Aleks up with uppercuts, straights, and then after that he never threw another punch other than left straight for the rest of his career.

orcus - "I still can't figure out why Mirko didn't combo punch. He was so good at it, but for that fight he was content to counter with the fast left. "

The Aleks fight was pretty much a totally different Mirko than we ever saw again in terms of hand combination. Did he ever even throw a combination after that? He was lighting Aleks up with uppercuts, straights, and then after that he never threw another punch other than left straight for the rest of his career.
He looked like a sharp, polished boxer in that fight. I think that was the best he ever looked in his career. Tight 4 punch combos. Phone Post 3.0

Recon maybe?

Aleks and Fedor have pretty diff styles though.

And wasnt Aleks always the more shapr, technical boxer?

Great fight...and, as mentioned, phenomenal hype, build-up and anticipation...

If Crocop hadn't worked his brother Fedor would have fought smarter IMO.

Would have did more gnp and less risky stand up. In fact his success in stand up with cop probably devolved him into a more one-dimensional fighter from then on.. Phone Post 3.0

Shut up ya mook Phone Post 3.0

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78SuVHM9CM

OuTkAsTTTTT69 - Shut up ya mook Phone Post 3.0
. Phone Post 3.0

Wasa-B - And wasnt Aleks always the more shapr, technical boxer?

Yes. Aleks was the more talented striker, no question, but he was in such garbage shape for the Mirko fight, that he was exhaused after the first exchange of the fight and his technique went out the window. He fought with aggression and Mirko backed up...then kicked the shit out of him.

That was the absolute best Cro Cop ever.