if gsp did the nfl combine?

So, if GSP had played football from the time he was in grade school, is it not safe to say he could've at least competed at the ncaa div. 1 level? I'm not saying the guy would make the Pro Bowl by any stretch, but let's not act like his athleticism isn't impressive.

Yes, I WAS impressed by his performance. I don't mind admitting it.

"So, if GSP had played football from the time he was in grade school, is it not safe to say he could've at least competed at the ncaa div. 1 level? I'm not saying the guy would make the Pro Bowl by any stretch, but let's not act like his athleticism isn't impressive. "

Didnt he play hockey sicne he was 8? you seen what happened with that... NFL has a deeper talent pool.. If he was 6 foot 4. He'd have a shot but he is too small and slow. guys his height and weight are burners.. they are ussually the fastest guys ont he field

once again all the potential olympic hopefuls gather around the UG for a meaningful discussion

Pete Spratt was also one heck of a receiver in college (DII or III, an Oklahoma college school).

Benching 225 x 10 basically means you max out at 300. Benching 225 X 15 is about a 325-335 max. I'm pretty sure GSP at 190 lbs. could throw up around 350 with a lttle training (if he can't already). Shane Mosley, at 170, could throw up 300.

There were guys I went to high school with who were 180-190 and put up 300 at 17 years old.

"maybe a sub 5.0 would be possible"

LMAO at this.  Come on dude.  You must have never ran 40's in high school or college.  Even the largest of lineman get sub 5 40's.

"The NFL has become obsessed with big guys over 300 who can still run a 4.7 or 4.8 (40-yard dash)," the old Redskins lineman Joe Jacoby told The Washington Post. Once an All-Pro at 6-7 and 315 pounds, Jacoby now asks, "What have they done to their bodies to get that big, and what impact did that have? The athlete's mentality is, if I can get bigger and still maintain my strength and speed, I'll do it. But then you ask, what's the effect of all this massive weightlifting?"

I remember the fastest kid in 7th grade ran a 5.1. Most of the guys at skill positions at our high school ran a 4.9 at worst and they were a crappy HS football team.

I ran consistently in the 4.5's in high school and college, with a best of 4.54. 

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/s/2001/0307/1136944.html

I would say 4.5's would be a good guess for GSP. 

"GSP is the same size as a typical NFL cornerback...if he were doing the combine he's probably be 190 lbs. and 5'10-5'11. He is a great athlete and I have no doubt he would run a 4.5 or whereabouts."

*edited--sorry Probst.  I misread.

GSP is 5'10 tops, so assuming he walks at 190, he could be a decent weight, short cornerback (who are now frequently taller than 6 feet, and over 200 pounds. 

"LOL, lineman running a sub 5.0 40.   There may be 2 in every years draft that do that."

Damn, Travern!  You didn't even click on the link.  This is from Kiper, and keep in mind, 8 years ago--times have only gotten better.

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN
40-yard times of note:
Jeff Backus, Michigan -- 5.31
Jarvis Borum, NC St. -- 4.99
Ryan Diem, Northern Illinois -- 5.06
Robert Garza, Texas A&M--Kingsville -- 4.95
Ben Hamilton, Minnesota -- 5.23
Steve Hutchinson, Michigan -- 5.09
Jonas Jennings, Georgia -- 4.95
Kenyatta Jones, South Florida -- 4.96
Kareem McKenzie, Penn St. -- 5.18 Dominic Raiola, Nebraska -- 5.09
Marques Sullivan, Illinois -- 5.23
Chad Ward, Washington -- 5.09

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN
40-yard times of note:
Derrick Burgess, Mississippi -- 4.84
Reggie Hayward, Iowa St. -- 4.78
Kris Jenkins, Maryland -- 5.01
Mario Monds, Cincinnati -- 4.98
John Schlecht, Minnesota -- 4.88
Kenny Smith, Alabama -- 5.15
Marcus Stroud, Georgia -- 5.06
Jamal Reynolds, Florida St. -- 4.63
Karon Riley, Minnesota -- 4.71
Kyle Vanden Bosch, Nebraska -- 4.68
Fred Wakefield, Illinois -- 4.98

This is from the 2007 combine:

Defensive Linemen Notes

Tim Crowder - Crowder showed athleticism for a 272 lb end, running his 40 in 4.69. Crowder also did 32 reps in the bench press and was solid in the 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone drill. Crowder can expect to come off the board by the middle of round two.

Adam Carriker - Carriker has done nothing but improve his stock since the end of the season, with a great Senior Bowl week and now a solid combine performance. Carriker weighed in at 296 lbs, but ran a 40 in 4.90, put up 33 reps in the bench and demonstrated his explosiveness with a 33.5 vertical. Perhaps the most surprising part of Carriker's performance was the agility he demonstrated, running the 2nd fastest 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone drills, despite his size. Carriker could be selected in the first half of round one.

Gaines Adams - The #1 DE entering the season, Adams may have pulled way from Jamaal Anderson with a great combine. Adams was the fastest DE at the combine, with a 4.64. Adams also showed his agility with a 4.36 20 yard shuttle. Adams may have earned himself a top ten pick with this performance.

Alan Branch - Branch demonstrated good speed, at 5.04, for a 324 lb DT. Branch looked good doing it and can expect to go off the board in the first dozen picks.

Jarvis Moss - Moss exhibited the speed that have some believing he can be an effective 3-4 OLB, with a 4.70 40. Moss did not do any of the agility drills, so his performance at his pro day will determine if he can transition to that position at the next level. At just 250 lbs, Moss is probably too small to be an every down DE in the NFL.

Quentin Moses - For a player who entered the season as a potential top ten pick, Moses has fallen further than anyone. His free fall only continued when he put up a disappointing 4.82 40, with only 17 reps in the bench press. Moses is going to now probably not find himself off the board until round three.

Brian Robison - The "other" Texas defensive end, Robinson was the star of the combine, running a 4.67, and easily posting the best  3 cone, vertical jump, and broad jump. Robison also showed strength with 27 reps. He may get a chance to play some 3-4 OLB, at only 259 pounds, with his athleticism.

Offensive Lineman Notes

Joe Thomas - An absolute beast, almost perfect at every single drill thus far, ran both 40's under 5. Thomas has pretty much solidified his draft grade of a top three pick. The Lions appear to be the likely destination.

Defensive ends?

Kris Jenkins? 

That is at least 10, not talking about the monsters over 300 pounds that just missed at 5.01 like Kris Jenkins. 

The lineman you dismiss as defensive ends are often 285 pounds. 

Just saw an article on Barbre though:

Then again, most 300-pound people cannot run 40 yards in 4.84 seconds.

Allen Barbre's athletic abilities are the prime reason the Green Bay Packers selected him in the fourth round of the National Football League draft on Sunday.

His is the classic NFL offensive lineman size - 6 feet 4 inches, 297 pounds - and he adds incredible speed, tested at 4.84, 4.88 and 4.94 in the dash. With a 360-pound bench press and 32-inch vertical leap, he fits into the athletic mold in which the Packers like their linemen in order to play in their zone-blocking scheme.

LOL at do I watch football--there will be well over 10.  You dismissed the comments by saying it applies only to Defensive Ends, which it doesn't if you look below.  And you post as though d-ends are somehow not lineman.  They are still very large dudes.  You concede the 4 offensive  lineman (in last years draft alone).  Let's look at the defensive lineman--non defensive ends to appease you.

Name School 40-Yard
Dash
Abraham Wright Colorado 4.89
Alan Branch Michigan 5.01
Amobi Okoye Louisville 5.00
Anthony Spencer Purdue 4.70
Antwan Applewhite San Diego St. 4.73
Baraka Atkins Miami (Fla.) 4.69
Brian Robison Texas-Austin 4.67
C.J. Ah You Oklahoma 4.70
Charles Johnson Georgia 4.84
Claude McBride Tennessee 4.81
Dan Bazuin Central Michigan 4.77
David Patterson Ohio State 5.07
DeMarcus Tyler North Carolina State 5.33
Gaines Adams Clemson 4.64
Jacob Ford Central Arkansas 4.65
Jarvis Moss Florida 4.70
Jay Moore Nebraska 4.92
Justin Hickman UCLA 4.75
Quentin Moses Georgia 4.82
Quinn Pitcock Ohio St. 4.93
Tim Crowder Texas 4.69
Victor Abiamiri Notre Dame 4.80
Victor Degrate Oklahoma St. 4.77
Xzavie Jackson Missouri

Alan Branch, who just misses--defensive tackle, 6'6', 330 pounds.

Amobi Okoye--6'2", 302 pounds, defensive tackle.

C.J. Ah You--granted, a defensive end, at 6'4, 275 pounds

Charles Johnson--granted, a defensive end, at 6'2", 270 pounds

Charles McBride--6'2, 275 pounds, defensive tackle

Jarvis Moss, 6'6", 250 pounds, granted, a defensive end

Jay Moore, 6'4", 275 pounds, granted, a defensive end

Quentin Moses, 6'5", 260 pounds, granted, a defensive end

Quinn Pitcock, 6'2, 300 pounds, defensive tackle

Tim Crowder, 6'4", 270 pounds, granted a defensive end

Victor Abiamiri, 6'4:, 270 pounds, granted, a defensive end

You watch football bro?

And I said it wouldn't surprise me if GSP ran in the 4.5 range, not 4.4's, which is blazing.

Oops, sorry Traven--botched the name on my prior post.

"I would guess 4.5 4.6 maybe 4.4 with training.

225 15 times I would think is possible."

sounds about right

first the olympics, now the nfl. give me a fucking break.

cheers,

jj

Look, NFL players are freaks, most D-1 kids are freaks too, and only a small percentage of them get to go on to the NFL. I have only got to work with some D-1 kids that are NFL prospects and its because one kid has 4.3 40 speed (it was a 4.3 flat but im betting its closer to being between 4.3 and 4.4) and the other was a free safety that was 6'2" and 230 lbs. These are kids that have been playing football for their entire lives.

So basically what i am saying is that mma doesn't have the feeding programs that other pro sports do right now, is GSP a hell of an athlete? no question. but i doubt that he is that freaky of an athlete.

I also and assuming that we are talking about GSP as he is right now, training the way he does now. Im sure he could get a good sub 4.5 time if he trained for six to eight weeks for it.

It was pretty obvious that Traven meant offensive linemen.

LMAO at this.  Come on dude.  You must have never ran 40's in high school or college.  Even the largest of lineman get sub 5 40's.

Date: 01/03/08 08:08 AM
2396 Total Posts
Ignore User
<SCRIPT> if (readCookie('MMATV_USERID') == 204029) { document.writeln('Edit  '); } </SCRIPT>

LOL, lineman running a sub 5.0 40.   There may be 2 in every years draft that do that.

It was?  It was in response to my post!

Whoa--maybe I misread the intent of CUO's post.  I thought he was just posting to see how GSP's measurables stacked up with NFL players. 

GSP actually being an NFL player?  Slim to none IMO.  Oodles of great athletes have tried, they are just not football players, and haven't played the sport.  Running a 4.5 in a straight line, is much different than running with speed, stopping on a dime, reacting to routes, etc.