If I could freeze/ban trolls?

You froze my thread because I forgot quote marks around 'sucks'. I think your powers of discretion may be a bit lacking for this upgrade.

Dan is a great, level headed guy who would be perfect for the upgrade.

I support this idea 100 percent.

The Yellow Emperor - Didn't you get into a heated arguement with Hitman Dan on the Nazi thread?

Seems to me that a Mod should be above that sort of thing. Too easy to abuse the power to ban when you get personal on the forum. That's why it was taken away from Mods to begin.

“Those who seek power are not worthy of that power.” - Plato
More than fair to bring this up.

Hitman Dan tried to accuse the company I represent of bullshit and I actually respectfully talked to him about it but didn't really get anywhere but more insults and insinuations from him.

Nick (Rupture Clothing owner) came on and blasted him for it.

Even though I could have I did not use my mod powers in any way on that thread as it was a business matter and I didn't feel like I had a right to use my powers in that case.

The thread did get deleted but I had nothing to do with that.

Alder Hiss - You froze my thread because I forgot quote marks around 'sucks'. I think your powers of discretion may be a bit lacking for this upgrade.

Was that the thread with a title saying a certain fighter sucks?

I didn't freeze it because you forgot quotes, I froze it because it was fighter bashing and innappropriate.  I would have frozen it with the quotes too.

Dale Doback -  I would support it on the UG but not the OG.  You seem too serious to be able to moderate fairly over there.

The OG is where I first started modding here actually.

I'm more serious on the UG because of fighter bashing and it's a more serious forum.

I'm very lax on the OG, it's pretty much a free for all there and I spend more time on the UG anyway these days.

I do respect your opinion though, if you have any examples of me going overboard on the OG I'd love for you to point them out so I know.

CRE - THEY WANNA TAKE OUT YOUNG BINGO?

FREE THE UKTT!!

I have no real vendetta against the UKTT guys.

Although they have some annoying trolls I tend to try to solve problems with diplomacy before acting.

Also, if any of it matters I'm 30 years old, an army vet and very involved in the sport.

Sounds good to me.

Absolutely.

ABE FROMAN - The last guy who tried to mod this place got outed with a quickness. You'll get laughed at or ignored if you ask the head guys for this, they don't care.

While Kirik is very hard to reach at times he modded me in the first place on the OG because I asked to be an OG mod, later I asked to help cover the UG to and he upgraded me.

I think I can reach him.

Wether he upgrades me or not is debatable.

nobones - 
The Yellow Emperor - Didn't you get into a heated arguement with Hitman Dan on the Nazi thread?

Seems to me that a Mod should be above that sort of thing. Too easy to abuse the power to ban when you get personal on the forum. That's why it was taken away from Mods to begin.

+1

Dreamer should not be asking for more power.  If it were truly warranted, it would be granted to him by the benevolent Kirik and Chris.

I think if you really want a job then you ask for it, it doesn't come looking for you.

I'm not looking to start banning people left and right, just to be able to function more independently as a mod.

Kirik and Chris are not the only mods that can ban btw.  Fabes and a couple of others can also.

I made this thread as a response to the hundreds of posts I've seen with people begging for moderator action.   I'm often here at odd hours and think I can be helpful.

I vote for you to freeze/ban trolls!

HELWIG -  Absolutely.

Wow, surprised to receive your support.

No offense but I always figured you kind of hated me.

Thanks though.

Nanook - Dan is a great, level headed guy who would be perfect for the upgrade.

I support this idea 100 percent.

Thanks Jay, you're a good guy.

Just for the record about the Nazi thread, Hitman was way over the line, casting stones in every direction including at DreamerMMA who just chimed in about his opinion. Hitman made a point to cast a negative light on Rupture clothing which was uncalled for and completely over the line. Him and I got into it before he went into 13 year old girl hissy fit mode. I think that whole ordeal should be removed from Dreamer's record. He was actually vert cordial and level headed. Phone Post

Dale Doback -  I would support it on the UG but not the OG.  You seem too serious to be able to moderate fairly over there.

lol @ Dan being too serious, he's pretty damn easy going.

You've got my vote Dan.

DreamerMMA - 
Alder Hiss - You froze my thread because I forgot quote marks around 'sucks'. I think your powers of discretion may be a bit lacking for this upgrade.

I didn't freeze it because you forgot quotes, I froze it because it was fighter bashing and innappropriate.  I would have frozen it with the quotes too.

Well, the idea is that the fighter is considered to be subpar (sucks, in the language of the UG) for a particular reason. Not that I think he sucks. Really, it doesn't logically follow that a certain fighter would be any better or worse for fighting a certain opponent, which was the reason given in the thread.

This particular case was an error in explanation on my part, but my trepidation towards expanding the powers of mods is that it's too hard to determine what is persistent problematic behaviour, and what is an interpretive breakdown.

I had my first account banned for what was mistaken as trolling, when I was actually trying to put forward a then-controversial point in a manner that would attract attention to the debate. It's unfortunate that information on a public forum often has to be presented in this manner, but it often is much more effectively received when it is.

For my particular thread, I don't mind at all that you froze it, and quite appreciated the accountability shown (hence the lack of reply on my part), but if you were feeling less than benevolent, you may have banned or frozen me instead. The issue with that is not even with you personally, it's that any mod could then apply for advanced privileges and not all of them are as free from pettiness and moodiness, as accountable and responsible as you are.

All of that said, this forum IS rife with trolling and abuse, but nothing can really be done about it; many of the participants in the general behaviour are effectively institutionalized withing the community.

Tankhead -  Just for the record about the Nazi thread, Hitman was way over the line, casting stones in every direction including at DreamerMMA who just chimed in about his opinion. Hitman made a point to cast a negative light on Rupture clothing which was uncalled for and completely over the line. Him and I got into it before he went into 13 year old girl hissy fit mode. I think that whole ordeal should be removed from Dreamer's record. He was actually vert cordial and level headed. Phone Post

Thanks for the backup.

I really don't want to drag Hitman into this though, that whole situation was distasteful.

Alder Hiss - 
DreamerMMA - 

Well, the idea is that the fighter is considered to be subpar (sucks, in the language of the UG) for a particular reason. Not that I think he sucks. Really, it doesn't logically follow that a certain fighter would be any better or worse for fighting a certain opponent, which was the reason given in the thread.

This particular case was an error in explanation on my part, but my trepidation towards expanding the powers of mods is that it's too hard to determine what is persistent problematic behaviour, and what is an interpretive breakdown.

I had my first account banned for what was mistaken as trolling, when I was actually trying to put forward a then-controversial point in a manner that would attract attention to the debate. It's unfortunate that information on a public forum often has to be presented in this manner, but it often is much more effectively received when it is.

For my particular thread, I don't mind at all that you froze it, and quite appreciated the accountability shown (hence the lack of reply on my part), but if you were feeling less than benevolent, you may have banned or frozen me instead. The issue with that is not even with you personally, it's that any mod could then apply for advanced privileges and not all of them are as free from pettiness and moodiness, as accountable and responsible as you are.

All of that said, this forum IS rife with trolling and abuse, but nothing can really be done about it; many of the participants in the general behaviour are effectively institutionalized withing the community.
As far as I know any mod or member can ASK for powers anyway, doesn't mean we'll get a reply, much less a reaction.

I understand your trepidation but I ask you take me for my actions and not the actions of others.

I made this thread to get a feel on how the members felt about me as a mod, not how they feel about the other mods.

I do understand the "what if" scenarios but I'd appreciate those being contrasted to my past behavior and actions and mine alone.

Also, I don't doubt your intentions were good on that thread, but as a mod I can't leave up threads with titles saying fighters suck, quotations or not.

Someone just seeing that thread title as they scroll by can assume an awful lot about this forum and the mods here without even clicking on it merely from the title.

I didn't warn you or take any action against you because I've seen you post here for years and have never had a real issue with you.

I do try to make judgement calls and I do take into account a members history.  I also often communicate with other mods to get their opinions and experiences before taking action.

To be honest, 99% of the time I'd likely just freeze an account for serious or repeated transgressions and let Kirik or Chris decide wether to ban them or not.

It's the brand new screen names that pop in trolling like they've been here for years that my ban finger is itchy for because I'm pretty sure they've already been banned a few times for the same ol' shit.

I'm not looking to hurt good members here, just weed out the shitty ones.

nobones - 
DreamerMMA - 
nobones - 

+1

Dreamer should not be asking for more power.  If it were truly warranted, it would be granted to him by the benevolent Kirik and Chris.

I think if you really want a job then you ask for it, it doesn't come looking for you.

I'm not looking to start banning people left and right, just to be able to function more independently as a mod.

Kirik and Chris are not the only mods that can ban btw.  Fabes and a couple of others can also.

I made this thread as a response to the hundreds of posts I've seen with people begging for moderator action.   I'm often here at odd hours and think I can be helpful.

The natural reaction to when there is discontent is to consolidate more power to single individuals.  It is rarely the best solution.  And no, if you are worth your salt the best jobs/jobs that will satisfy you the most come to you not the other way around.

More people need to use the vote down/vote up system.  The UG can regulate itself.  People need to get thicker skins.  Too many mods with banning powers is a bad idea.

I appreciate your honest and respectfully spoken opinion.

I'm down with this!