If i ever competed in a GI

which i probably won't but you never know. If i have never worn a gi before and i train all mma at this point in my career would i enter a gi division as a whitebelt although i have lots of no gi training and mma or would that be like sandbagging?

thanks guys..honest question

Sandbagging.

haha, i thought so but i had a friend tell me i could compete as a whitebelt since i never trained in a gi. MMA is my focus right now anyway, just a question out of curiosity. Keep em coming!

Should go in as blue imo

You'd be a total punk to go in as less than a blue.

Greg

I agree with the aforementioned posts but you should get someone to look at you with the gi first and give you the belt. Otherwise people will start spreading stuff about you wearing a bluebelt which noone has ever given you and other crap like that.

Wear a white belt. Enter the blue division.

"I agree with the aforementioned posts but you should get someone to look at you with the gi first and give you the belt. Otherwise people will start spreading stuff about you wearing a bluebelt which noone has ever given you and other crap like that."

Whitebelts can compete in blue belt division.

stop being a creep mike you know you gotta go in the black blet division :)

Claude, c'mon man, honest question here! haha I might take up bjj in the future and compete but i have no idea what belt i would be, especially with the Gi since i have never worn one and am foreign to the grips, chokes, sleeve work, etc.

Roll with the blues, beating white belts won't tell you much. A lot of your blues will be relatively new competitors anyhow. The guys pushing purple should give you trouble.

Claude, what belt are you? do u still train w/ a gi?

Mike,

Bring at least one of your gi's with you to Savannah for the seminar. It sounds like you have three or four in your rotation. Ha ha

• Sergi

Mike, with all the time you spent around Ives you never rolled with him in a Gi?

If you put one on, I warn you it can become addictive.

Training with a gi will help your MMA game immensely. Do you have a bjj
instructor? If you have never rolled with a gi it will feel strange even with
all your submision wrestling and MMA skills.

You'd be sandbagging if you are a collegiate wrestler and just body slam
your way to victory.

Nick Diaz just got his black belt yesterday. He requires gi training for all
his fighters.

Ives used to try to get me to put one on but i was like "F THAT" lol

i might try it a few times although i'm focusing on my thai boxing and mma right now, i might throw the gi on a few times here and there but no we do not train with the gi at MFS.

Sav, haha funny ;)

Current MMA fighters with black belts in bjj...

Matt Serra,
Anderson Silva,
Gabe Gonzaga,
BJ Penn, and
Nick Diaz

Of course the list goes on and on. There is always a debate at our gym
(gi/no gi)

Is it an issue with MFS philosophy? You have great fighters there
obviously. Jeremy Horn is black belt level. So is Matt.

At Cesar Gracie's school we do gi, no gi, muay thai, boxing, wrestling,
knife/stick fighting ( once in a while), along with trash talking and
psychological warfare.

I think it's important to have the whole package.

Ok that's enough of my "put the gi on" spiel.

btw...My first tournament had no white belt division. Cesar put me in
with the blue belts.

MFS is strictly MMA training/no gi grappling/boxing and muay thai. we do have a judo class but not many of the fighters participate.

^why don't the fighters attend Judo?

mike

my training history is a disaster bro.. in toronto we didnt have bjj blackbelts for a long time so for the most part people had to travel to get em (which my broke ass was doing) or get em at a seminar which i thought was kinda gay since i had no direct trianing affiliation.. then i hooked up with nova uniao and got my blue belt in vegas purple shortly there after at which point i caught the mma bug and really fell of on my gi training big time :) between fights there was wa 3-4 month period i trained a lot in gi and got my grips/timing and stuff back but its all gone now hommie im just getting over a knee injury so before i get back to mma fights im taking after you and suiting up the gi or my run at the brown belt..

id say you should go in the purple division in gi for local comp and if its in brazil ect try blue once you win then go up a division if its too easy.. really its all about you bro your a pro fighter so its not like your ducking competition you just honestly dont know which division to fight in hmmmm "or are you ducking competition?" HMMM???

pat's ranked under one of the best in bjj oswaldo alves ask him what he thinks