If I'm out walking...

If I'm out walking and someone passes me going the same direction, as they move beside beside me, I'll keep right beside them. I'll slowly and imperceptibly increase my pace so that they either have to start jogging or move back behind me. I think its funny.  I actually got into a footrace with a guy once.

1 Like

![](upload://2C55Z2USclXGKZ21RYd6RSmvRkA.gif)

The OP strut.

My usual pace is pretty casual but I'll definitely speed walk, even down right sprint if it comes to it. 

I don't do it all the time.  It works best on long narrowish pathways or sidewalks, with traffic going in both directions so people tend towards single file.  I understand why some people don't want to walk at the same speed beside a stranger.  I just thought it was an interesting behaviour and I like having fun with people. 

Most people give up pretty easily and might only speedwalk a few steps before moving behind.  Occasionally you'll get people who don't notice and just continue along....  But every once in a while you get someone who'll try really hard to not walk at the same speed as you and almost break into a light jog before they understand what I'm doing. 

Some people laugh, others are weirded out.

I guess you have never walked anywhere Jhay is.  He doesn’t lose walk races, even when they’re sprints.  

1 Like

Some strange dude did that to me but in a car. I was driving to work at night and there was this car crawling really slow up ahead in the left lane of a 3 lane street. I was a block away but I needed to be in the left lane as well since in about a 1/4 mile I have to do a left turn at the light. So I pull to the middle lane and pass him. He speeds up and matches me. I needed to be in the left lane so I slow down so I can get behind him. He slows down to block me. I speed up he speeds up. I slow down he slows down. We stop at the light and I look over at him but he looked ahead. Then a cop car pulls up on the right lane. I think it was just by coincidence, but it was enough for him to stop trying to troll me after the light turned green and I was able to get ahead of him and go to the left lane to turn left at the next light. Dude goes all the way to the right lane and makes a right as the cop car continues straight. On that street that he turned into which is also a large 3 lane he goes back to a slow crawl. If I didn’t have to get to work I would have liked to follow him tailgate style to see what he’d do.

CoughSyrupOD -

If I'm out walking and someone passes me going the same direction, as they move beside beside me, I'll keep right beside them. I'll slowly and imperceptibly increase my pace so that they either have to start jogging or move back behind me. I think its funny.  I actually got into a footrace with a guy once.

I like that you and a dude raced. That’s pretty hilarious. 

Who won the race?

ShanTheMan -

Who won the race?

I did of course.

We both picked it up to a jog running faster and faster, then I kicked it into high gear and just melted the dude.  He gave up pretty quick once he saw the power I was capable of generating.  Once I knew he was beat I did that chest out, arms back thing that runners do and crossed an imaginary finish line.  We laughed about it while I pretended to celebrate and wave to a non-existent crowd.  Then we both went on with our days.

I am the Charlie Zelenoff of foot-path racing.  Undefeated!